PDA

View Full Version : New to AR's with some questions.

leroyswift
02-28-11, 18:53
I bought a like new bushmaster patrolman with 3 magpul 30's and a case for $700. I did some research first and decided why not? I have always had AK's and am not used to the tight tolerances of the AR. I was wondering a few things, feel free to chime in->

-I want to keep spare parts of easily broken/worn parts, should i buy a whole other BCG?

-If another BCG is bought will it drop into my carbine?

-Are piston-retrofit kits worth the money, if so what brand?

-Any thing to be changed or tweaked for better performance and reliability?

-Best ammo, or ammo opinions?

-Any other advice,tips or opinions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Swifty

Eric D.
02-28-11, 18:57
Try the orange search button near the very top of the page. You will find several answers to all of your questions, and then some.

Perhaps the site needs an interactive tutorial on the search function :suicide:

Cincinnatus
02-28-11, 19:00
I bought a like new bushmaster patrolman with 3 magpul 30's and a case for $700. I did some research first and decided why not? I have always had AK's and am not used to the tight tolerances of the AR. I was wondering a few things, feel free to chime in->

-I want to keep spare parts of easily broken/worn parts, should i buy a whole other BCG?

-Any other advice,tips or opinions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Swifty

You'll find the answer to most of those questions by reading the stickies in the AR General Discussion forum and in the AR Technical forum. Pay particular attention to the one on what to do if you bought a BM, Oly, etc. and what to do to make the best of it.
After that, use the SEARCH function to find the answer to your other questions--all of which have been answered multiple times in various threads.

leroyswift
02-28-11, 19:05
Wow. My apologies, way to look like a novice

Cincinnatus
02-28-11, 19:08

No harm, you live and you learn, and that is the most important thing to do at first on this site is learn.

Anthony.L
02-28-11, 19:26
My advice, if the rifle shoots and cycles reliably don't go overboard changing out parts right away. You might actually go backwards and decrease the reliability of the rifle.

Just because AR's have tighter tolerances compared to AK's does not mean they will automatically wear out or items will break easily. A good quality bolt is designed for thousands of rounds and could easily see 5k rounds or more before remotely worrying about it breaking.

Again, if it works, then shoot and enjoy it, address any issues as they arise. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

As for ammo, AK are known for shooting anything you stick in the pipe. AR's on the other hands tend to like brass over steel. But you will hear many viewpoints on this, YMMV.

JSantoro
02-28-11, 19:29

Nan, not a novice, just new to the site.

Primary for the gun:
Not a new BCG, but ensure that the gas key screws are torqued to spec and correctly staked, and maybe get a new bolt to drop in to it. If you want a new BCG, do the same as above, get a LMT, CMT, or BCM BCG and keep the one you already have as a spare just in case. A new one should drop in just fine.

Get your chamber reamed to a true 5.56 with a Ned Christiansen reamer.

Those two things alone go a long way in regard to upping the reliability of your gun.

You'll see that mentioned, along with more info about ARs in general, by specifically checking the sticky threads in both AR GD and Technical subforums marked "Knowledge Base Threads." They'll lead you to several other threads dealing with a broad range of exactly the info you're looking for.

Root around a bit, use Search. If you make a good-faith effort to seek out info and still come up dry, ask away.

The Cat
02-28-11, 19:37
Hey Leroy,

Welcome to M4C! If you're wanting to get the most out of your AR, you've come to the right place. There's a maximum of good information here and a minimum of BS. Like Winfield said, start with the Stickies. Grab some coffee and do some reading - you're in for an education.

You asked about changing and tweaking - the very short answer there is 'Yes'. Read up on BCM BCG's and H2 buffers.

Purchase oils and a proper cleaning kit.

Go SHOOT.

Take classes.

leroyswift
02-28-11, 19:44
Thank you. I have been all over the site even before i joined and learned a wealth of info. I am reading about the staking now, just popped over to see if i had any replies. I also looked at buffers at Brownells and midway. I have talked myself out of the retro fit gas stuff due to carrier tilt. I love cleaning my AR so dont think its necessary to have the gas set-up just yet. I do shoot quite a bit (bout 4 times a week) and thats why i was wondering about spare parts, im used to the ak that is shot all day, bore-snaked and put back in the safe, not the meticulous AR. Which makes me wonder, are AR's that "tender" like people make them out to be?

02-28-11, 19:49
If you did the research as you say, then why buy a BM? You could have saved up a little bit more $ and bought a much better new rifle.

leroyswift
02-28-11, 19:52
To be honest i bought it from my brother who needed the money. I read some on them and thought it wasn't a bad starter and i could have fun with it or sell it without having alot tied up in it. Is bush that lousy?

TrapLine
02-28-11, 20:02
To be honest i bought it from my brother who needed the money. I read some on them and thought it wasn't a bad starter and i could have fun with it or sell it without having alot tied up in it. Is bush that lousy?

FWIW, that is a stand-up move by you, from one newbie to another. I hope you enjoy the gun.

lt211
02-28-11, 20:05
IMHO you got a great deal and the BM is fine for that price. Its got a good barrel, but its a 1/9 twist so the general rule is don't go over 69 grain. Like discussed by others, check the gas key and maybe upgrade the extractor spring eventually. Make sure the castle nut is tight, because BM doesn't stake them. Other then that go and shoot the shit out of it and enjoy! Keep in mind if you decide to change the stock I believe Bushy uses commercial buffer tubes, Therefor you either order a commercial stock or get the mil spec kit with the mil spec tube. Don't over think it though, your brother gave you a great deal...enjoy and welcome aboard.

leroyswift
02-28-11, 20:12
Thanks again. I have already shot it some and cleaned it twice afterward. I have been looking at some stuff from bravo company, maybe a charging handle and spare BCG (and a go and no go for the headspace.) and a h2 carbine buffer.

lt211
02-28-11, 20:27
Thanks again. I have already shot it some and cleaned it twice afterward. I have been looking at some stuff from bravo company, maybe a charging handle and spare BCG (and a go and no go for the headspace.) and a h2 carbine buffer.
Sounds like good choices, I have changed out a few of my charging handles with the Bravo Co mod 4...work great. Im just not sure if you really need the go and no go heads paces:confused:

leroyswift
02-28-11, 20:37
Ah really? i was just guessing since i read a thread on here that erupted into an uproar over BCG and whether or not to gauge them. i just want to be prepared is all. Would a BCG from BCM be a good idea?

Eric D.
02-28-11, 21:16
A BCM BCG would indeed be a good idea. While checking headspace may not be entirely necessary, it is a good idea. Especially with BM parts. Instead of a go/no-go set, you can the proper M16 field 5.56 NATO gage from this site: http://www.billricca.com/

There's a thread about these gages in the AR technical subforum, I believe its still on the first page.

Ah really? i was just guessing since i read a thread on here that erupted into an uproar over BCG and whether or not to gauge them. i just want to be prepared is all. Would a BCG from BCM be a good idea?

cobravenom39
02-28-11, 21:31
Get used to the DI platform, then worry about upgrading. A BCG is never a bad idea, though.

swampfox1975
02-28-11, 21:34
The only thing I can think of off hand is AR's like to run wet. Oil the thing good and it's ok to have extra plus some. Yes it makes a mess but reliability goes way up when "properly" lubed. I just finished a carbine class and alot of the newbies to AR's oil to the glock 5 drop method. They had lots of malfs, until they got wise and squirted the mess out of it.

leroyswift
02-28-11, 21:47
Thank you all. I have always been an oiler. I use to stand by REM oil but recently discovered the Birchwood and casey synthetic oil. pricey but my friend runs a local gun shop so i can get stuff a little cheaper than list. I love the synthetic oil and keep my BM so lubed it runs out of every crack and crevice. I am religious about keeping oil on my guns, even the AK.

Cincinnatus
03-01-11, 09:30
Thank you all. I have always been an oiler. I use to stand by REM oil but recently discovered the Birchwood and casey synthetic oil. pricey but my friend runs a local gun shop so i can get stuff a little cheaper than list. I love the synthetic oil and keep my BM so lubed it runs out of every crack and crevice. I am religious about keeping oil on my guns, even the AK.

Checkout Slip2000 and Weapons Shield

C-grunt
03-01-11, 11:45
The main thing with ARs is to keep them lubed. The Bushmasters are an OK rifle. Bushy does cut a lot of corners but many of them can be fixed fairly easy. My duty gun at work is a Bushamster and has not had a FTF or FTE in probably 6,000 rounds. I have had the trigger mechanism, safety and gas rings break though. also my front sight is up really high due to the wrong front sight base used by Bushmaster.

The Bushmasters in my department due have more mechanical problems than the Colts due to improperly built parts, but they tend to feed and fire reliably. The AR is a very reliable weapon system when built properly, lubed and fed with good magazines. I cant remember the last time someone at our quarterly rifle class had a failure to feed or fire malfunction.

My buddy just had his Colt replaced after 10 years in service and close to 15,000 rounds. He said he had 3 malfunctions during that timeframe.

Benjamin_Martin
03-01-11, 12:12
Besides a parts/field kit, if I may recommend, look at getting a drop in .22lr conversion. Adds flexibility and reduces training/plinking costs.

A must have IMHO.

leroyswift
03-01-11, 14:06
As always appreciated. Im bout to load up and go shoot the bush. is that 15000 rounds extremely higher than normal round count on an AR?

C-grunt
03-01-11, 14:20
As always appreciated. Im bout to load up and go shoot the bush. is that 15000 rounds extremely higher than normal round count on an AR?

No. My department was just replacing the older rifles with newer ones.

RogerinTPA
03-01-11, 16:09
In the AR General Discussion thread, under Knowledge based threads:

"Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!" https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

leroyswift
03-01-11, 16:39
NICE!

HES
03-01-11, 17:00
Meh, everyone has to learn. Don't beat up on your self. I'll give you some short answers. You can use the search function to find out they 'why' behind my answers.

A spare BCG is a good idea. Go for it

It should. Head space and timing should be universal. However the chances of there being problems are minimized if you go with a quality upper.

Not to myself and many others here. IMO Eugene Stoner knew what he was doing. Why mess with a successful design.

Again, the better quality rifle you purchase, the less likely you are to have to do this.

Again opinions will vary and the answers will vary depending on what you want to use it for.

Ok some threads that you should read before you take another step

Knowledge base threads (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355)
Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642)
Be an informed consumer! (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56063)

Keep in mind that I am an out of gas, over weight, former grunt, 40 year old schmuck of a recreational shooter. There are those here who are are have a metric ass ton of more experience than I do and I defer to them.

leroyswift
03-01-11, 17:29
Thank you sir. I have been searching the web extensively most of the day. I agree with the piston thing. If it was felt necessary it would have been part of the design originally.