markm
02-28-11, 20:10
NO! NO! NO!

TOrrock
02-28-11, 20:22
Nope.

5pins
02-28-11, 20:27
I would not use one if it was given to me.

markm
02-28-11, 20:28
I would not use one if it was given to me.

This too!!

Heavy Metal
02-28-11, 20:46
A poor material choice for the application.

Garbage.

Fried Chicken Blowout
03-01-11, 04:26
No. There are standard firing pins all around the world that are killing people on the receiving end of their action. I would highly doubt there's a need to reinvent the wheel here. It's more of a way to market and sell a product.

Robb Jensen
03-01-11, 04:38
Are they worth it?
Thank you.

Mike

Pure junk.

I've seen them pierce primers on otherwise good guns.

Evil Bert
03-01-11, 06:20
Hey guys, rather than just saying a few words which sound mostly of opinion rather than factually based, which I know they are, but the OP might not, let's educate him as well as others as to why titanium pins are worthless.

Titanium firing pins are intended to reduce lock time; the time between release of the hammer and ignition of the primer. Theoretically, faster ignition of the shot allows less time for disturbance of the rifle. Because titanium is lighter than the steel normally used in the production of firing pins, it has less inertia: a titanium firing pin is accelerated faster than a steel firing pin when struck by the hammer.

This theoretically results in the firing pin striking the primer faster than a steel firing pin would. Lightweight firing pins or strikers have been used with bolt action rifles for many years.

Movement of the firing pin of the M16 type rifles is, however, only a very small part of the lock time of the rifles. Lightening the firing pin produces virtually no improvement in lock time. No engineering or experimental data has been provided which supports a change to titanium firing pins.

Titanium is strong, but doesn’t handle impact well. For this reason alone it is less suitable than steel for use in firing pins.

Titanium is lighter than steel. The steel firing pin retains a slight momentum as the bolt carrier closes. This momentum normally causes the primer to be lightly indented by the firing pin, and can cause slamfire if the primer is overly sensitive. A titanium firing pin has less momentum, causes less indent, and reduces the possibility for slamfire.

The titanium firing pin is one of many fad items separating shooters from money otherwise better spent, and those in the know recommend against them. A titanium firing pin can (in theory) reduce the (already) slight possibility of slamfire.

1 Titanium Firing Pin = $35
5 Stainless Steel Firing Pins = $34.75
Being educated on M4Carbine.net = Priceless
:dirol:

itsturtle
03-01-11, 06:55
So what you are saying is, a titanium firing pin is an overpriced peace of mind that turns a 1 in 100,000 chance of a slam fire into a 1 in 100,010 chance?

Evil Bert
03-01-11, 06:57
So what you are saying is, a titanium firing pin is an overpriced peace of mind that turns a 1 in 100,000 chance of a slam fire into a 1 in 100,010 chance?

yeah... pretty much.

itsturtle
03-01-11, 07:00
I'll stick to not slamming a round into the chamber while looking down the barrel.

Seems like a very light spring to hold the firing pin back would work better.

itsturtle
03-01-11, 07:15
I'll stick to not slamming a round into the chamber while looking down the barrel.

Evil Bert
03-01-11, 07:46

a light spring is just one more thing trying to fix a problem that isn't there.

The AR gas impingement system is a perfect system from an engineering aspect. When implemented correctly (i.e. quality parts, lubed properly, cleaned regularly, etc) it will perform well. adding a spring here or there to prevent this or that, only complicates things and introduces changes to the implementation of said system.

My point here is not to flame or talk down in any way. It is simply to state that the "default" components of a quality, standard AR gas impingement system, is all one needs.

Too many mfrs are struggling to survive would rather invent some needless feature or so called "enhancement" to the AR platform in support of a problem that simply doesn't exist instead of just making better quality parts and finding ways to make them at a lower cost to stay competitive.

They know that they can make something that sounds tacticool and that there are 100 million suckers out there that will not do the research and simply buy it because the manufacturer says it "fixes" this or that problem or "enhances" this or that feature/function.

jdodd
03-01-11, 07:47
I've seen them pierce primers on otherwise good guns.

Really? Jeesh. :fie:

-J

itsturtle
03-01-11, 07:58
a light spring is just one more thing trying to fix a problem that isn't there.

The AR gas impingement system is a perfect system from an engineering aspect. When implemented correctly (i.e. quality parts, lubed properly, cleaned regularly, etc) it will perform well. adding a spring here or there to prevent this or that, only complicates things and introduces changes to the implementation of said system.

My point here is not to flame or talk down in any way. It is simply to state that the "default" components of a quality, standard AR gas impingement system, is all one needs.

Too many mfrs are struggling to survive would rather invent some needless feature or so called "enhancement" to the AR platform in support of a problem that simply doesn't exist instead of just making better quality parts and finding ways to make them at a lower cost to stay competitive.

They know that they can make something that sounds tacticool and that there are 100 million suckers out there that will not do the research and simply buy it because the manufacturer says it "fixes" this or that problem or "enhances" this or that feature/function.

Oh, no offense taken. My pistol is striker fired. The striker sits "at rest" in a spot that doesn't touch the primer. I assume the spring it is attached too is just keeping it there. I'm no engineer so I really don't have a clue how it works, let alone how something can be rigged up for an AR platform. Like I said, I will just not look down the barrel while racking a round.

QuadBomb
03-01-11, 11:23
Hey guys, rather than just saying a few words which sound mostly of opinion rather than factually based, which I know they are, but the OP might not, let's educate him as well as others as to why titanium pins are worthless.

Titanium firing pins are intended to reduce lock time; the time between release of the hammer and ignition of the primer. Theoretically, faster ignition of the shot allows less time for disturbance of the rifle. Because titanium is lighter than the steel normally used in the production of firing pins, it has less inertia: a titanium firing pin is accelerated faster than a steel firing pin when struck by the hammer.

This theoretically results in the firing pin striking the primer faster than a steel firing pin would. Lightweight firing pins or strikers have been used with bolt action rifles for many years.

Movement of the firing pin of the M16 type rifles is, however, only a very small part of the lock time of the rifles. Lightening the firing pin produces virtually no improvement in lock time. No engineering or experimental data has been provided which supports a change to titanium firing pins.

Titanium is strong, but doesn’t handle impact well. For this reason alone it is less suitable than steel for use in firing pins.

Titanium is lighter than steel. The steel firing pin retains a slight momentum as the bolt carrier closes. This momentum normally causes the primer to be lightly indented by the firing pin, and can cause slamfire if the primer is overly sensitive. A titanium firing pin has less momentum, causes less indent, and reduces the possibility for slamfire.

The titanium firing pin is one of many fad items separating shooters from money otherwise better spent, and those in the know recommend against them. A titanium firing pin can (in theory) reduce the (already) slight possibility of slamfire.

1 Titanium Firing Pin = $35
5 Stainless Steel Firing Pins = $34.75
Being educated on M4Carbine.net = Priceless
:dirol:

I knew they weren't worth the money. Now I know why. Learning has occurred in this thread.

ace4059
03-01-11, 18:31
Could someone enlighten me and tell me what a slam fire is
Thanks
Ryan

Eric D.
03-01-11, 18:54
The inertia of the firing pin causing it to ignite the primer as the BCG returns to battery.

Could someone enlighten me and tell me what a slam fire is
Thanks
Ryan

Heavy Metal
03-01-11, 19:09
AR firing pins are not stainless, they are chrome-plated carbon steel.

m1a_scoutguy
03-01-11, 23:33
WOW,,pretty cool & informative thread !!! :) What's interesting is I bought "into" the "Titanium Advantage" years ago,,(at least 8/10yrs) I installed it and never thought about it,,just figured I had the Ultimate Firing Pin !!! ;) Now whats interesting is I just sold the rifle that had the titanium pin in it and before selling it I went through it pretty good and after stripping it down and looking at the FP,,,the tip was eroded and looked pretty bad !!! I tossed it in my parts box and installed a New GI Pin and went about my business !!! Live & Learn,,,I won't make that mistake again !!!! :D Thanks for the great info !!