PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive flashlights- better than darkness

indawire
02-28-11, 22:52
Like almost everyone else I've got the usual drawer full of high end flashlights (Surefire etc.) How about those ones you keep in the glove compartment, barn jacket, toolbox and other places you don't need a "tactical" flashlight? I'll nominate my best find which is the Costco 3 pack of Cree bulb, 150w max, 3 AAA, aluminum body w/ low, high and strobe w/ pushbutton tailcap switch. $18.00. :D Been using them for about 6 months now and no problems. They throw a very bright light (no way to confirm the 150w claim) but they are darn bright with a good overspill around a center beam with an even cone of light. Dropped one in the stream while it was on- it took 10 minutes to get it back, no problems it's still working. The soft button tailcap glows red when the batteries are almost dead. Tried a whole lot of other inexpensive lights, these have been the best by far. Made by our Chinese friends:( natch but what isn't at this price range. BTW- I don't work for Costco. Anybody else have a good find for this type of light?

Dave L.
03-01-11, 04:13
I have been researching the subject of quality >$20 flashlights for placement in vehicles/survival kits/1st Aid Kits/etc....

I recently bought an Inova X1 and it's a nice little LED light that runs on one AA battery.

I also purchased a Gerber Infinity Ultra LED light, but that's back in the states right now so I have not put the two side-by side.

I also want to test the Streamlight Stylus Pro LED and the Microstream LED lights.

Amazon is a great place to buy small lights.

Fried Chicken Blowout
03-01-11, 04:17
I've settled on the $40 range for my minimum for trust. I've got several Streamlight for that or less. The Polytac is what I have the most of, but when I buy more it's going to be the new P2L which I have one of so far. Either can be had for about $42 delivered from Amazon.

tracker722
03-01-11, 12:09

drrufo
03-01-11, 14:04
I have had good luck with the Ultrafire brand on ebay. They take 123a batteries and a common size module. You can get them with various brightness lights cheaply if you shop around.
The lights are aluminium and seem to be fairly hardy. There are other brands that the same with different names, they all seem to be from the same factory in China, take a look you might like them.

sadmin
03-01-11, 14:13
For my cheapos that are in every room of the house, I buy these:
Romisen RC-A4 II Cree Q5 LED
They have held up great for the cost.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-166/Romisen-RC-dsh-A4-II-Cree/Detail

HES
03-01-11, 16:02
For cheap flashlights I've settled on an Energizer head lamp and a Coleman multi color light.

B Cart
03-01-11, 16:12
I also have multiple high end surfire an streamlight flashlights, but I've had good luck with some cheaper ones. The cheaper ones that I've liked the best are Coleman brand. You can get them in 110 and 150 lumens at Walmart, and they're $24.99. They are LED lights and they're pretty small so you can keep them in pouches or pockets or a glove compartment etc. They seem to put out a good stream of light and have a decent run time. They run on 3 AAA batteries.

Even though I've had good luck with them, my EDC and weapon mounted flashlights are all still surefire.

indawire
03-01-11, 18:19
I have to say I will only use the best I can afford (usually in the $75 range - Surefire or equal) if I'm carrying a firearm of any type. I'm not going to trust an inexpensive light with no track record. That being said, this thread is for the light you need to find the dropped tractor gas cap or crossing the road to get the mail at night. I know there is a world of inexpensive lights out there, I've tried many of them. The Costco ones have been good performers and at $6 each so far they are the least cost for the best overall results. At that price and with the Costco return policy I'm not out much even if I loose one .:cool: I also have a TPI brand for my everyday use on building inspections, it's less than 2" long, has three adjustable light outputs via twisting the head and uses a 123 battery. Clips right onto my cargo pocket of my 5.11 pants, weighs nothing and puts out a little or a lot of light. Got mine at a local gun show 6 months ago, been trouble free. I usually apply a very light coat of Radio Shack brand lube to the O rings and metal to metal threads of all the lights, makes the O rings smother to turn and easier to turn the headpeace and tailcap.

Patriotme
03-01-11, 22:32
I've got a couple of Coleman flashlights that work pretty well and the price was right. I picked up a couple of 120 lumen lights by Gander Mtn around Christmas. They were on sale and I'm pretty happy with them. I'm not really into lights but if you want waaaay more information than you ever thought you'd ever hear about flashlights then check out Nutnfancy on YouTube. He does a good job on his reviews but be warned. They run long. Anyway...he reviews Fenix, 4sevens and some other lights. Seeing him drop some off of an overpass was a decent test of reliability. He gives discount codes to some other sites too.

hatidua
03-02-11, 14:39
How are the Fenix lights? (cost aside)

Fried Chicken Blowout
03-02-11, 15:28
I've had several and they seem to be very sold. I would put them on par with Streamlight.

indawire
03-02-11, 21:37
I've got two Fenix lights a PD31 w/2 123 batteries, smooth reflector, 4 light modes and a LD20 w/ 2AA batteries, orange peel reflector, 6 light modes. Both have aluminum bodies, soft button tailpiece switches with tabs to keep the button protected, glass lenses, pocket clips, partially knurled bodies, at least three selectable light outputs plus SOS (PD31) or strobe features (LD20), dim to BRIGHT (20w to 150w +-) selection by pushing the tailpiece button to select from low to high, O rings on the removable head and tail. I first saw them on the NUT n Fancy U tube review and gave them try. Don't be put off by the Nut N Fancy site, like everything there's some gems to be gleaned from the blather. He does have a load of flashlight reviews. I would classify the Fenix as a higher end everyday light, the ones I would grab if camping, hiking or backup to my "tactical" light. Good quality, had mine for about a year, trouble free, lots or little light output depending on your choice. Best bet for price has been gun shows, usually below list, and a discount if buying more than one. Dosn't hurt to ask. ;)

bkb0000
03-02-11, 21:58
surefire G2... can't beat $30 for a surefire flashlight. i keep 'em in my rope bag, my briefcase, glove box, around the house... love these little pieces of shit.

for headlamps- unless coleman has improved a LOT in the last few years, they work great for about a week, then become complete pieces of shit. i get Black Diamond headlamps from REI for about $40-$45, and they have even better ones for not much more than that. battery-pack 120lmn models for like less than $70.

if all you need it for is an occasional peak under the house or in the shed out back, i suppose it's worth it.. but if you use 'em professionally, or for actual wild outdoors use, i wouldn't use anything less than a Black Diamond. i've been using them professionally- meaning almost daily use in the winter (gets dark all early) through shitty NW Oregon weather. i've never had one fail, and the only reason i ever replace them is that they seem to be hot theft items. i have one right now that's about 5 years old- still works great at about 65lms, and just bought a brand new one to replace one that got lost or stolen... $45 at REI. 75lms, i believe, red-light setting, 6 different light settings plus a flash mode... it's already been through several downpours, countless hours of constant on, and still on the original batteries.

hatidua
03-10-11, 14:38
Some of those Surefire lights look great but I'm trying to standardize all batteries to AA/AAA and a lot of the Surefire line uses other types of battery :(

ZRH
03-10-11, 18:51
http://www.fultonindoh.com/

You can find them for $10, waterproof, dont break into a million pieces when dropped.

bkb0000
03-10-11, 18:52
Some of those Surefire lights look great but I'm trying to standardize all batteries to AA/AAA and a lot of the Surefire line uses other types of battery :(

true that. cr123s are expensive and hard to get, in my area.. have to order 'em in firecracker packs online.

wake.joe
03-10-11, 19:27
Not to shift topic, but I have found that Lowes carries Surefire brand CR123's in packs of two, for 4.50. REI also carries a pack of 12, but I don't remember how much I paid.

RAM Engineer
03-10-11, 20:11
Old school:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FK7H0G?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

3 AE
03-11-11, 04:56
You want old school ? The good old MagLite 2 or 3 "D" cell battery, aluminum encased "Skull Cracker". Now with LED,but can still deliver a concussion or forcibly enter an automobile through the window! Have a couple in the house and in the car. They were 'Tactical" before tactical was cool.

PA PATRIOT
03-11-11, 19:12
I own 15 of these 2xAA lights and they are excellent in terms of brightness vs battery life. I get a solid 200+ minutes at 80 luminous and the fixed beam is a pure white light with no blue tint that reaches out a very respectable distance. I have them in every bug-out bag, Go-bag and in the family cars. I buy them at Big Lots, Lowe's and Wal-mart at a average price of $9.99 to $11.99

http://www.dorcy.com/p-223-41-4216-80-lumen-2aa-led-aluminum.aspx

indawire
03-11-11, 22:09
You want old school ? The good old MagLite 2 or 3 "D" cell battery, aluminum encased "Skull Cracker". Now with LED,but can still deliver a concussion or forcibly enter an automobile through the window! Have a couple in the house and in the car. They were 'Tactical" before tactical was cool.

How true, I still have 2 4 C cell mag lights kicking around, just about the right size subsitute for a nightstick. It does illustrate :haha: how far the lights have come, the new generation ones are much smaller, brighter, lighter, faster. I recall there is some MC "Club" in California that carries Mag Lites as part of their uniform, naturally they claim to carry them so they can find the parts that drop off the Harley in the dark :lol:

bkb0000
03-11-11, 22:16
http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/15/04d4dd23f7914cbc90216a2f86cb4dda/l.jpg

warpigM-4
03-11-11, 22:29
I have maglites .I have 2 of the 2 D battery ones and one 3D battery one in my car and about four of the little AA ones.I use to drive a Big truck and I ran over one of them when checking my kingpin lock 2004 and to this day it still works. and you can crack a skull with them too:D

Paraclete comes
03-12-11, 00:05
I get these harbor reight coupons every few months for a free flashlight, same ones that home depot sales for 9.99. they work great for around the house and all over the shop. I of course on duty carry only surefire and streamlight and even a few pelicans. But for free or .99 how can you go wrong with harbor freight!

PA PATRIOT
03-14-11, 01:19
http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/15/04d4dd23f7914cbc90216a2f86cb4dda/l.jpg
Now thats just funny!:haha: