PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 16 Light Recce BASIC Upper

DonJose
03-01-11, 08:46
After allot of time and frustration of not knowing what to get I went ahead and have purchased this upper.But I am still trying to figure a few things out.I have read tons of post on free float rails vs non free float rails and accuracy as well.I need a straight answer, with stock plastic handguards and shooting with them resting on a bag or shooting sticks and good hand loads am I going to see differance in accuracy as far as out to 300 yards or so with 10 shot groups?And what would be good accuracy with a nonfree float rail?I am looking to use as a defense/coyote rifle.I just dont want to start adding weight with rails if the stock handguards will get me what I need.I have read some of Rob S post and am wondering if free float is what I need to do.PLease Help.

Jason

500grains
03-01-11, 09:17
If you are shooting 300 yards or under you do not need a free float rail for accuracy.

You may want the picatinny rail slots for mounting a laser, flashlight or vertical fore grip.

But I would say that if you do not know if you need a free float / pic forearm, then you don't need one.

DonJose
03-01-11, 09:37
Was looking to put a Magpul mid handguard on it as well just for one light for around the house.And maybe a vert grip as well.

Jason

Todd.K
03-01-11, 10:22
The main issue isn't reasonable accuracy as much as different POI. If you zero on bags at the range and then sling in hard in the field you might shoot the same group size, but in a different location.

DonJose
03-01-11, 10:46
But as far as 300 and in is it a major point to have free float or not?As far as practical accuracy is concerned?

Thanks
Jason

C-grunt
03-01-11, 10:50
Ive posted this picture before. Same upper as yours, topped with a 3 power ACOG and shot off a front rest at 200 yards.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/007-1.jpg

DonJose
03-01-11, 11:19
So it looks like hitting 6 to 8 inch steel at 200 with good ammo is do able.

Jason

C-grunt
03-01-11, 11:31
Very do able. Also I dont consider myself good enough to come close to out shooting my rifle. From what I have read it is not uncommon for the N4 Light rifles to shoot MOA or better.

DonJose
03-01-11, 11:36
Starting to feel a little better!!!I just seem to not find any post, on this upper shooting the plastic guards seems all post are with free float fore ends and that is what has made this a hard thing to figure out.

Jason

C-grunt
03-01-11, 11:50
Pic of how the rifle looked at the time. Dont mind the POS sling, its all I had until I bought my VTAC. I have since gone to a Troy drop in rail. It shoots well enough that I dont think Im going to free float it for now.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/004.jpg

DonJose
03-01-11, 13:47
Has anyone ever taken two of the same guns and seen what the differance is as far as float vs non float and how much accuracy is lost or gained?

Jason

Iraqgunz
03-01-11, 15:32
Are you a sniper, DDM or planning on doing hostage rescue? What about competition shooting?

Unless those apply you are really getting wrapped up in minutia.

Has anyone ever taken two of the same guns and seen what the differance is as far as float vs non float and how much accuracy is lost or gained?

Jason

DonJose
03-01-11, 16:02
I see your point I just thought maybe it was a great deal of accuracy between the two.
Maybe also the cool factor of the rails were setting in.

Jason

WBAR
03-01-11, 16:46
Very nice upper, Jason. I'm thinking about getting that one myself for my third AR. I'm really interested in your impression of the flash hider- does it do any "braking" or simply hide the flash? Also, where did you get the upper and how much was it if I may ask? Thanks, WB

DonJose
03-01-11, 18:40
Got it from B&B supply in White City, OR as far as the Vortex I couldnt tell you waiting for the Brown Truck to get here, however I have a PWS FSC556 coming for it as well.

Jason