PDA

View Full Version : Epic Noob Question: Scope Mounting

TXBob
03-01-11, 09:05
To protect the innocent, my friend "Bob" has never mounted a scope on a bolt action rifle.

He knows what scope he wants to purchase and how to shoot the things, but doesn't know what hardware is required to mount on say a remington 700 in 300 Magnum or .308 (actually I think he plans to do the hunter 300 Mag first and hone his skills before going to the high end 308).

When I, I mean he, looked at the rifle, it looks like it has 4 pre-drilled holes with screws, 2 each fore and after of the action.

Do scope rings include mounting options? or is that additional. He's been spoiled by rails from the AR world or lightweight 22s with el-cheap tasco scopes.

And shove in the right direction would be appreciated as even the search presents a bewildering array of options that seems beyond me, I mean him.

Rmplstlskn
03-01-11, 09:11
Seriously, let a gunsmith do it rather than bugger something up... Almost every gun shop I have ever visited has someone skilled enough to mount a hunting scope on a bolt gun...

Only for more precision or combat-ready applications would require a true professional...

Rmpl

Supermoto
03-01-11, 09:19
Those screws are for mounting the base, either a one or two piece. The rings attach to that.

500grains
03-01-11, 09:20
1. Can you change brakes on a car? If so, you can mount scope bases, rings and a scope. If not, have the local gun store do it.

2. There are a million options for bases and rings. If you do not know what you want, then I suggest a safe bet would be Leupold bases and rings.

3. Don't scrimp on the scope. Your scope should cost more than your rifle if you want good performance. At a minimum, I would suggest a Leupold VX-1, and that is low end.

Toyoland66
03-01-11, 10:54
In basic terms you have three options

1. One piece mount, the base and rings are all machined from one piece. An example of this is the DNZ Game Reaper mount.

2. Rail and Rings, a Picatinny or Weaver rail is bolted to the top of the receiver, and then rings bolt to that rail (similar to scope mounting on an AR)

3. Two piece mount, A female dovetail mount attaches to the top of the receiver and the rings have a male dovetail that indexes into the mount. An example of this is the leupold dual dovetail mount.

There are other options, and variations on the above, but that should give you enough info to start exploring your options.

Tortuga
03-21-11, 09:33
(actually I think he plans to do the hunter 300 Mag first and hone his skills before going to the high end 308).

Forgive me for steering the thread off course, but I can't help to be a little puzzled at honing your skills on a belted magnum before you go to a 308. Less recoil and less expensive ammo seem more condusive to more training.
I don't "like" to sit and shoot a belted mag on the bench all day...but I'll do it with a heavy 7.62 every day of the week.

Okay, back on course now...You can do any manner of mix and match on mounts and rings. I can see where a scan of the Brownells catalog can be overwhelming. For your first rig, I'd just let the local trusted gun shop install some Leupold, Burris, Warne or other pet brand and mount the scope.
On the surface, mounting a scope appears easy, but add in the (correct) loc-tite, setting eye relief, mounting the scope level, for someone new to that, it just may be easier to have the local gun wrench do it the first time or two.
I've seen WAY too many folks spend many trips to the range, waste ammo, gas, time, money and lose confidence in their rifle or ruin a scope (i.e. using the scope to install dovetail rings), only to take it to a gun shop and have it fixed in 15-30min.

TXBob
03-21-11, 09:43
Yeah it seems a little strange, but "honing skills" meant mounting the scope, not shooting. I'd rather hose a medium price scope and rifle than hose a high end rifle and high end scope.

My 300 Mag has acceptable open sights for 100 yds. I don't get any fans at the public range, but they do the job. Every time I get cussed out here for 'open thinking' I go an beat the crap outta myself with the 300 Mag. The 308 doesn't have any sights. For that level I have a trusty old M1 Garand. Tack driver that one. little self thread jack anyway.

I think I'll do both at a local gunsmith. Now I just have to talk them into letting me choose the rings/mounts/scope etc...

rero360
04-02-11, 09:34
Here is a nice down and dirty, easy way to mount the scope. First get a one piece base, from a quality manufacturer like Badger Ordnance or Seekins. Attach it to the rifle, ensuring that if it is a model with built in cant that its installed correctly, shorter end up front. Next place your ring bottoms loosely on the base with the scope resting in them, adjust placement to get proper eye relief. Once you have the eye relief dialed in and the rings in a good spot go ahead and tighten the ring bottoms to the base.

Now what you do is take some metal shims, can be found at autozone or similar places, and place them between the base and the scope body where the turrets are. Then once you do that you can place the top of the rings on and tighten them down, securing the scope in place.

What the shims do is ensures the scope is in perfect inlinement with the base. Now this is assuming everything is true, that the base is mounted parallel with the bore and that the reticle and scope body are plumb as well.

I read about this method on the snipershide and tried it for myself with my rebuilt savage (Badger rings and base and USO scope) and it worked beautifully.

Bsully
04-02-11, 13:28
I think I'll do both at a local gunsmith. Now I just have to talk them into letting me choose the rings/mounts/scope etc...A good gunsmith will torque em down to spec
If Bubba's just crank'n on the screws cause he "knows" take your stuff and go find a good smith.

Bsully
04-02-11, 13:29
Dbl tap