PDA

View Full Version : mags

jrhumphrey16@yahoo.com
09-14-07, 12:06
what is a good 30rd mag?are the hk mags good what about c products,pmag?

tiger seven
09-14-07, 12:15
what is a good 30rd mag?are the hk mags good what about c products,pmag?

Read all ten pages of this thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=382

That should help answer your questions.

Derek

Rifleman_04
09-14-07, 12:16
HK mags are over rated I think. $45 for a name and they still get bent and deformed as easy as the aluminum GI mags. We got a bunch issued before our units last deployment. They worked great at first but after some use and abuse they are doing the double feed and faliure to feed thing. I got a bunch of C products aluminum mags with gen 2 magpul followers and those work good if yer carefull with em or dont mind throwing some away after they get bent. I would defintly go with the PMAGS though.

GONIF
09-14-07, 12:42
Save yourself a lot of trouble and stick with USGI mags. check with some site vendors for a deal $10.00 TO $12.00 is all you should pay .

jar3ds
09-14-07, 12:54
seriously... if your about to make a purchase for mags... its honestly a no brainer to go with PMags... just make sure you get ones that are newer than 06/07 (hence 07/07 and newer)...

If you go with anything else... get US GI mags and put magpul gen2 followers in them...

CarlosDJackal
09-14-07, 13:01
I have had great success with Brownell's magazines. I have about three dozen of those and have not had a single problem with any of them.

I currently have 3 PMags. But since they have had limited use, I cannot say anything for or against them.

Another brand that seems to do well is the C-Products brand. A friend of mine purchased a bunch last year at Knob's Creek and seems to be very happy with them. YMMV.

AR15barrels
09-14-07, 13:27
Read all ten pages of this thread.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=382

Or you can just buy Pmags and be done with it...

tiger seven
09-14-07, 13:52
Or you can just buy Pmags and be done with it...

Knowledge is your friend. It never hurts to make an informed decision.

But I agree that the informed decision would be to buy PMags. :)

Derek

watchluvr4ever
09-14-07, 15:38
Before I purchased mags I did alot of reading about mags and I ended up getting 10 of the D&H teflon coated mags. On my mags the build quality is superb both inside and out and they feed like a dream with upgraded Magpul Gen. 2 followers. Some of the reasons for purchasing these mags is the teflon finish, great build quality, and they can be found very cheap!

C4IGrant
09-14-07, 15:50
Here is my order of Mag quality and what to buy:

PMAG
USGI Mag (with Magpul follower)
HK

C4

GaryXD
09-14-07, 19:01
The ONLY mags I will buy are Magpul PMAGs or Okay/NHMTG aluminum mags.

GONIF
09-14-07, 19:18
everyone says the new Magpulls work and the 3 I bought work well with no problem,but they feel and look funny to me . I'm probably too old and stuburn to change .:rolleyes:

KLR_Redux
09-14-07, 21:18
My S&W Military and Police 15T will not allow PMAGs to seat properly. I have heard of other folks with 15Ts that have the same problem. I have also heard of problems with PMAGs in H&K 416s. My situation represents a very small subset of the folks out there. If you have a non S&W AR-15 you are probably okay. YMMV.

So far I like the D&H with Magpul followers (I got them from Brigade Quartermaster).

Steve
09-14-07, 21:41
Early serial numberd Mp's fit pmags just fine.

Rifleman_04
09-15-07, 01:47
My S&W Military and Police 15T will not allow PMAGs to seat properly. I have heard of other folks with 15Ts that have the same problem. I have also heard of problems with PMAGs in H&K 416s. My situation represents a very small subset of the folks out there. If you have a non S&W AR-15 you are probably okay. YMMV.

So far I like the D&H with Magpul followers (I got them from Brigade Quartermaster).

That is because S&W does not bevel the inside edge of the magazine well. There are a couple other manufacturers (HK obviously if they dont fit either) that dont do it either so check your magwell before you go and buy PMAGS for that weapon.

Robb Jensen
09-15-07, 08:14
That is because S&W does not bevel the inside edge of the magazine well. There are a couple other manufacturers (HK obviously if they dont fit either) that dont do it either so check your magwell before you go and buy PMAGS for that weapon.

We sell a lot of S&W rifles, I've only seen the P-MAGs not fit the M&P-15T model. Weird but true.

Gunmetal
09-15-07, 08:21
IIUC, the Smith AR is built around a Stag lower. The Stags do not have this same problem?

C4IGrant
09-15-07, 08:27
IIUC, the Smith AR is built around a Stag lower. The Stags do not have this same problem?

Stag does not make the S&W lowers.

C4

Robb Jensen
09-15-07, 08:27

I haven't seen a STAG in which a P-MAG won't seat in, not to say they all will work with STAG..............just this is what I've seen thus far.

S&Ws are 100% assembled inhouse now. I don't know if they're still getting they're receivers from CMT, they're was a large serial number jump before they went inhouse.

Shihan
09-15-07, 15:42
My S&W M&PT works fine with Pmags. I think mine was put together by CMT.

onmilo
09-16-07, 00:46
Since this thread may well turn into a P-Mag sales pitch I am going to go off track and say I use Brownell magazines and I also have several fit up with CMMG stainless steel followers and braided wire springs.
No issues whatsoever.

I am not yet ready to go to the dark side and start using plastic products in my ARs,,,, yet.:p

BobDeuceson
09-16-07, 01:06
I'm trying to understand the concensus on mag springs. I commonly see stainless steel or carbon silicon as the two main options. CMMG sells braided springs and claim they never take a set.

Can anyone enlighten me on their experience with these different spring types?

thanks.

Robb Jensen
09-16-07, 04:09
I'm trying to understand the concensus on mag springs. I commonly see stainless steel or carbon silicon as the two main options. CMMG sells braided springs and claim they never take a set.

Can anyone enlighten me on their experience with these different spring types?

thanks.

While chrome silicon does last longer than SS, I find it to rust up must more readily than SS. I only have 1 magazine with a braided spring from CMMG along with their anti-tilt follower. The CMMG spring and follower have worked very well so far, I only have used it for about 400 rounds or so in a variety of ARs.

Regardless of marketing hype.........all springs will take a set braided or not. One only has to look at two SIG 226 9mms, look at a new one and then at one with 1K rounds through it and compare the recoil springs.

Shihan
09-16-07, 04:14
The Brownells mags are good and they are coatign the CS springs to resist rust. I think the only type I will buy in the future are Pmags. For those scared of a polymer mag do you shoot a Glock?

onmilo
09-16-07, 17:08
"Plastics! They're the wave of the future!"
The Graduate-1968

I am going to order three P-mags on my next Brownells order.
I gotta know! I just gotta know!:p

And yes, I shoot a Glock!

AR15barrels
09-16-07, 17:56
For those scared of a polymer mag do you shoot a Glock?

Unfair comparison when you realize that glock mags have a metal insert in the magazine body...

http://glockmeister.com/images/3genmags.jpg

BobDeuceson
09-16-07, 23:41
Thanks gotM4.

taliv
09-17-07, 22:52
this may be a stupid question, but can you put ranger floorplates on pmags? and if so, or if not, for that matter, why don't they come standard? or have some similar feature built into the mold?

Robb Jensen
09-18-07, 04:54
this may be a stupid question, but can you put ranger floorplates on pmags? and if so, or if not, for that matter, why don't they come standard? or have some similar feature built into the mold?

No the PMAG and a USGI mag use two totally different floorplates. If Magpul will make a Ranger or Lumpy plate for the PMAG I think it would sell quite well.

KevinB
09-18-07, 06:18
No PMAG Ranger plates yet - but I hear they are going to do them (I keep bugging them too)

I got a swack of 08/07 mags recently (Thanks Drake) Some of the other guys on my team are running them now - and we are passing on the USGI mags with Ranger plates and E followers on to others...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq%201911/IMG_3384.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq%201911/IMG_3367.jpg

I gave some of the 1SFG guys that are across the street here some PMAG's as I felt sorry for them with their defective Hk's...

rob_s
09-18-07, 06:42
No the PMAG and a USGI mag use two totally different floorplates. If Magpul will make a Ranger or Lumpy plate for the PMAG I think it would sell quite well.

That's probably my biggest reason for not buying any Pmags yet.

taliv
09-18-07, 07:26
wow, that wasn't the answer i was expecting.

ok, next question... (as i'm in the market for some pmags at the moment)

i believe i heard Pat say about some other product that the black flavor of that product was gtg but that the additive that made the tan version and green version etc made it softer or brittle or something that was causing it to have issues.

for all the people that have put x,000,000 rounds through these things, what colors have you tested? are they all good?

last question... can you mag-cinch or otherwise lash these bad boys together? I know the merits of that are debatable, but I'd only use it for one specific stage in a game.

Kevinb's photograph looks suspiciously like it has two mags strapped together, but i don't see a strap. I do see that thing on top of the mag, but it seems impossibly high to be connected to the other mag, which is in the mag well. no? what's going on there?

Robb Jensen
09-18-07, 07:30
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Iraq%201911/IMG_3367.jpg

I gave some of the 1SFG guys that are across the street here some PMAG's as I felt sorry for them with their defective Hk's...

Kevin, why is that flash suppressor on upside down? That looks like an old A1 lower as well.

C4IGrant
09-18-07, 07:39
wow, that wasn't the answer i was expecting.

ok, next question... (as i'm in the market for some pmags at the moment)

i believe i heard Pat say about some other product that the black flavor of that product was gtg but that the additive that made the tan version and green version etc made it softer or brittle or something that was causing it to have issues.

for all the people that have put x,000,000 rounds through these things, what colors have you tested? are they all good?

last question... can you mag-cinch or otherwise lash these bad boys together? I know the merits of that are debatable, but I'd only use it for one specific stage in a game.

Kevinb's photograph looks suspiciously like it has two mags strapped together, but i don't see a strap. I do see that thing on top of the mag, but it seems impossibly high to be connected to the other mag, which is in the mag well. no? what's going on there?

All PMAG colors are GTG.

You can put the mags together. One of the best systems is the redi-mag, specifically the new and improved version that BFG did is the best IMHO.

We have PMAG's and BFG's redi-mag version in stock if interested.

C4

http://www.blueforcegear.com/prodImg/READYMAG%2001%20-%20300.jpg

http://www.blueforcegear.com/prodImg/READYMAG%2002%20-%20300.jpg

KevinB
09-18-07, 07:44
Robb,
It is a M16A1 lower -- I will go fix M's birdcage (fricken Army armorer...)

Grant - before the Vickers course I need to get with you about some PMAG's and the BFG redi-mags...
If Dinger does not mind maybe I could drop ship them - or will you be there?

C4IGrant
09-18-07, 07:55
Robb,
It is a M16A1 lower -- I will go fix M's birdcage (fricken Army armorer...)

Grant - before the Vickers course I need to get with you about some PMAG's and the BFG redi-mags...
If Dinger does not mind maybe I could drop ship them - or will you be there?

I can send them to Dinger and will also be at the Vicker course on the second day.

C4

Pat_Rogers
09-18-07, 08:06
Taliv- The original colored PMAGs had some issues due to different cooling times.
When MAGPUL figured this out, they recalled all to be safe.
The new versions- regardless of color are good to go.

I would strongly suggest that before you hit the send button and transmit nonsense you verify what you are posting.
A post like yours is what is wrong with the disinformation cowpath. Conjecture, rumor or gossip, repeated often enough, becomes an internet fact.

markm
09-18-07, 08:15
I avoid the D&H due to the past QC issues... guys having to modifiy the mouth of the mag to get it to feed right.

I avoid Cprod due to their obvious quality issues and their hostile attitude to anyone who sites this FACT on the open discussion forums.

OKAY/NHMTG are my main selection, but I may try some pmags eventually. I just have no current need for more mags.

taliv
09-18-07, 08:19
my apologies for transmitting nonsense. I thought I was just asking a question. I didn't even think it was the pmags that had that problem, which was why I stated "some other product". Thanks for refreshing my feeble memory anyway.

onmilo
09-18-07, 17:14
I just knew this was going to degenerate into a P-Mag thread,,,,,
If anybody cares I just received five more twenty round Brownell straight sides and they are flawless as usual.
They even drop free from my Olympic receiver rifle and this is a major accomplishment for ANY magazine!:p

Pat_Rogers
09-18-07, 22:06
In reality, no biggie Taliv. I'm cranky from driving back from CA.

markm
09-19-07, 08:28
If anybody cares I just received five more twenty round Brownell straight sides and they are flawless as usual.
They even drop free from my Olympic receiver rifle and this is a major accomplishment for ANY magazine!:p

The fact that they DO drop free from the OLY would make me wonder what is wrong with them! :eek:

Jaertal
09-19-07, 08:46
The fact that they DO drop free from the OLY would make me wonder what is wrong with them! :eek:

But the fit and finish on any Olympic receiver is flawless... ;)

Brownell's magazines have been great so far. Use em till they don't work and pitch. I've stopped buying those in favor of Pmags, though.

onmilo
09-19-07, 22:38
Well, I threw a couple P-mags on a parts order for 'research and determination'.
If they work out OK, we may start carrying them as a stock item.

It is indeed scary to have any magazine drop free from an Oly receiver isn't it!
But then again, that is why we now carry the Brownell magazines and only the Brownell magazines in the shop.

I have CMMG s.s. followers and braided wire springs installed in several magazines that work flawlessly also but the shop owner won't carry these either.