PDA

View Full Version : P-Mag Problem..

jeeper2269
03-01-11, 16:34
I looked around a little, and could not find an answer to this. I just got two regular p-mags (30rnd) and one windowed. The non-windowed mags took 31 rounds, and the windowed mag will not take more than 24.. Anyone have same problem?

Travis B
03-01-11, 16:40
I looked around a little, and could not find an answer to this. I just got two regular p-mags (30rnd) and one windowed. The non-windowed mags took 31 rounds, and the windowed mag will not take more than 24.. Anyone have same problem?

The windowed seems to have a jammed follower and I don't have a clue about the non-windowed taking 31. Maybe mine take that many but I was never dumb enough to try.

BCmJUnKie
03-01-11, 16:44
Youre not suppoesed to load more than 25 I think. I only load 25 in mine anyway. The ones wit no window will take more. But I never go over 28. Maybe its somethin to do with the follower/counter

Travis B
03-01-11, 16:45
Youre not suppoesed to load more than 25 I think. I only load 25 in mine anyway. The ones wit no window will take more. But I never go over 28. Maybe its somethin to do with the follower/counter

Loading them to 30 is fine, but storing them for an extended time period starts to cause excessive wear if loaded to full capacity.

jeeper2269
03-01-11, 16:50
Loading them to 30 is fine, but storing them for an extended time period starts to cause excessive wear if loaded to full capacity.

My department doesn't want us to load more than 25 in them, however, I was just messing around to find they would take 31. I will likely carry 25, or 30, and download every other week or so. Like my service pistol.

Boss302
03-01-11, 16:52

Jammed follower on the windowed and there is extra play to be able to insert a full mag on a closed bolt. Remove the extra round.

Huh? They are designed to hold 30rds, and 30rds they will hold just fine, all of mine do. (116 total)

Yes it is possible, but few here have ever experienced that, even with aluminum G.I. mags. That is what the "dust" cover was designed to help prevent. FWIW, I have over a hundred PMAGs and have not had a problem with a single one, that was not due to user error.

Boss302
03-01-11, 16:54
My department doesn't want us to load more than 25 in them, however, I was just messing around to find they would take 31. I will likely carry 25, or 30, and download every other week or so. Like my service pistol.

Magazines wear with use. The more you cycle the spring, the faster they wear out.

SuperiorDG
03-01-11, 16:58
You probably have a problem with the follower. Take it apart and see if there is some difference from the one that works and those that don’t.

The Pmag was designed to hold 30 rounds, at lest according to Chris Costa. It was designed to be inserted into the mag well with the bolt carrier locked to rear. If one does insert the mag in to the well with the bolt carrier forward and has 30 rounds in the mag one can have problems with the mag not setting properly. Therefore, after learning this Magpul now recommends only filling the mags to 28 rounds.

BCmJUnKie
03-01-11, 17:01
Read the tag that comes with the Pmags. It says right on it.

Boss302
03-01-11, 17:02
You probably have a problem with the follower. Take it apart and see if there is some difference from the one that works and those that don’t.

The Pmag was designed to hold 30 rounds, at lest according to Chris Costa. It was designed to be inserted into the mag well with the bolt carrier locked to rear. If one does insert the mag in to the well with the bolt carrier forward and has 30 rounds in the mag one can have problems with the mag not setting properly. Therefore, after learning this Magpul now recommends only filling the mags to 28 rounds.

Yep, because a lot of people don't know how to properly seat a magazine. You gotta hit the dang thing to do it, especially on a closed bolt.

TAP, RACK, BANG.

Now before I hack someone off, we've all been trained differently. I have 0 issues with my any of my mags loaded to capacity. (Pmags, G.I., Handgun, etc...)

Iraqgunz
03-01-11, 17:06
Ok, first off all WTF are you guys talking about?

1. PMAG's will accept 30 rounds no problem. I have 75 loaded ones in my safe.

2. Downloading magazines does nothing for spring life. Springs are worn by the compression and decompression of the spring which causes fatigue.

3. If you are loading 75gr. or 77gr. ammo you may have a few issues if you don't make sure that the rounds are seated properly. I have experienced this on a few occassions.

4. If you don't know what you are talking about don't come in here posting speculative and silly bullshit.

Boss302
03-01-11, 17:12
Ok, first off all WTF are you guys talking about?

1. PMAG's will accept 30 rounds no problem. I have 75 loaded ones in my safe.

2. Downloading magazines does nothing for spring life. Springs are worn by the compression and decompression of the spring which causes fatigue.

3. If you are loading 75gr. or 77gr. ammo you may have a few issues if you don't make sure that the rounds are seated properly. I have experienced this on a few occassions.

4. If you don't know what you are talking about don't come in here posting speculative and silly bullshit.

+100000

What i was trying to say, you just have a much better way with words. :agree:

SuperiorDG
03-01-11, 17:31
Yep, because a lot of people don't know how to properly seat a magazine. You gotta hit the dang thing to do it, especially on a closed bolt.

TAP, RACK, BANG.

Now before I hack someone off, we've all been trained differently. I have 0 issues with my any of my mags loaded to capacity. (Pmags, G.I., Handgun, etc...)

Hey I'm just passing on what the man told our class.

Iraqgunz
03-01-11, 17:33
For the record. I can insert a PMAG into every AR that I have with the bolt closed. I can't do the same with GI mags without alot of upward pressure.

Hey I'm just passing on what the man told our class.

Dozer
03-01-11, 17:46
The PMAG30 was designed to hold 30 rounds. If you cannot fit any more rounds than that please contact our customer service department or tech support so we can verify what exactly is going on.

@BCMJukie: Where exactly did you see the information that stated to only load 25rds?

As far as only recommending to only magazines to 28rds, most trainers recommend that due to the fact that it is easier to load on a close bolt.

GLOCKMASTER
03-01-11, 17:47
It's a thirty round magazine, not twenty eight or twenty five. Regardless of it being a PMAG or aluminum magazine if you cannot load thirty rounds into a thirty round magazine and seat it on a closed bolt, then it needs some hammer therapy then off to the trash can.

D. Christopher
03-01-11, 18:17
First of all, Magpul will always take care of you if you have a problem.

You should have a thorough understanding of the workings of your magazines though, since they are one of the most common factors in unreliable weapons. Take the baseplate off the problem mag, then slide out the spring and follower. Look for any obstructions, debris, burrs inside the magazine walls, deformed or damaged spring. If you can't find any obvious problems then swap the spring and follower from the problem mag with the non-windowed mag and see if the problem still persists with either mag. If the problem travels to the non-windowed mag then there is a problem with that follower or spring. If the problem persists with the windowed mag then there is a problem with the magazine shell.

I have more than 140 30rd PMAGS (non-windowed) and they all hold 30 rounds and load on a closed bolt with very little extra pressure.

Dozer
03-01-11, 18:18
The inability to seat a fully loaded magazine (30 rds.) on a closed bolt is lack of testicular fortitude not a magazine flaw.

opmike
03-01-11, 18:29
Read the tag that comes with the Pmags. It says right on it.

Tag? What tag?

What the hell is going on in this thread...

Travis B
03-01-11, 18:33
Tag? What tag?

What the hell is going on in this thread...

Not really sure? Maybe it's time to lock it up

Jimbo45
03-01-11, 18:42
This thread is full of lose.

Only loading 25 rounds....downloading mags every two weeks...tags?!
I put 30 rounds in duty Pmags, 28 in GI duty mags that I used to use, for seating ease, because they needed it. Cycling your mags puts wear on the springs, leaving them loaded, not so much.

SuperiorDG
03-01-11, 18:51
Just for the record, if anyone cares. I love PMAGs and is all I run.

jeeper2269
03-01-11, 19:35
Thank you guys for the input. I will load 30 in them and leave them alone.

As for the actual problem, I will take the spring out and see if it works ok. Otherwise, I will just contact magpul and have them send me another.

Robb Jensen
03-01-11, 19:56
For anybody that's actually read the rules of this forum:

Posting Suggestions

In order to maintain a site that is an effective database of good information, it is best to post information that you have first hand knowledge of. If you are repeating information that you have been told or have read from another poster, it is best to disclose that in the opening of the post.

Differences in opinion are quite common amongst the firearms industry, as there are few absolutes in this industry. And as a result, debates over preferences are common. We hope you use this forum to share and exchange ideas and not to win arguments. It is the bigger man that agrees to disagree without being disagreeable.