PDA

View Full Version : Car Penetration: 5.56 and 6.8

bratch
03-02-11, 20:33
I'm on the road quite abit, sometimes in areas that are less than desirable, with this I have taken to carrying an AR on road trips in addition to my pistols. I'm currently using a 14.5" BCM in this role. The rifle is loaded with 64gr Gold Dots and Mk318. I'm considering replacing the 5.56 with a similar 6.8 upper.

With the cost of quality rounds about the same that is not an issue, I'll continue using 5.56 in training and around the house and the 6.8 on the road. The cost will come from the upper and optics.

With the increase in quality barrier blind 5.56 rounds how much would be gained by stepping up to 6.8? Like I said car doors and glass are my primary concern since I am carrying the rifle in a vehicle and if I ever have to use it, it would probably be around vehicles.

DocGKR
03-03-11, 00:03
6.8 mm is definitely superior with good ammunition--for CONUS duty use when using 12-16" barrels the Nosler 100 gr Accubond PT, Hornady 110 gr OTM, Barnes 85 gr TSX OTM, and Remington 115 gr Core Lokt JSP are very good choices.