PDA

View Full Version : SHTF Communication

JStor
03-03-11, 08:29
(Sorry, I didn't see the sticky, so I'll go read that now.)

As the other thread on "civil disobedience" was dealing with protecting food supplies, property, etc. I am wondering how people will communicate during these times.

John W
03-07-11, 14:04
Studying HAM radio. Set a goal that I can't buy a radio until I have learned how the system works and am working on my technicians license. After watching the events unfold in Egypt and Tunisia, I have decided to re-evaluate my means of connecting with the outside world.

It goes without saying that expecting the lights, phone, and internet to be reliable during a crisis is wishful thinking. Not willing to bet my life on that one.

When all else fails..

http://www.intelligentheatandpower.com/images/cup_phone.jpg

madmax81
03-10-11, 18:00
i have been looking at the yaesu VX-7R tri band seems like a good all around radio

Vic303
03-15-11, 09:41
Yaesu makes excellent radios, as do Kenwood and Icom. I have owned various versions of all those brands. I honestly cannot fault any of them, except on the deep-menu complexity of most current HT's.

Currently I use:
Yaesu FT-50R HT
Yaesu FT7800 mobile (in van)
Kenwood TS261 (I think) in storm shelter
Kenwood TS-50s HF
Icom 706 HF/VHF

DH also has a Yaesu FT7800 in car and 2 HT's, another FT50r and a VX3r.

We are both General class licensees, and DH is working on Extra Class currently. I imagine if he passes Extra, I will get mine too, before the question pool changes this summer.

Armati
03-16-11, 22:44
For a family 'grab it and go' radio I like the Garmin Rino series with GRMS. Maybe not the best radio band ever but the Rino will work fine under 5 miles and you can 'poll' other members in your group to find their location on the GPS.

Maritime VHF radios are a very good bet. They have long range and are less affected by terrain and weather. Most are 'marine grade' so they will often be quite rugged and waterproof.

There are several radios now that use the old 900mhz band formerly used by cell phones. These might also be worth looking into.

K.L. Davis
03-18-11, 16:42
There is a tacked thread on this...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35686