PDA

View Full Version : Auburn, AL area ranges?

Adam_s
03-03-11, 11:00
Hi guys:
Anyone have knowledge on good ranges near Auburn, AL? There is one that I know of (East Alabama Gun Club), but I have no clue how decent it is.

Thanks!

Shane1
03-03-11, 11:36
EAGC is kind've smallish but runs a great IDPA match if thats your thing. GA DNR has a range in the west Point area, just up the road from you. http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/920

taylodr
03-03-11, 13:14
When I was at Auburn, there was a gun range at the National Forrest. You had to get a $5 permit from the gas station or $20 for the whole year from the National Forestry Service. Sorry it's been a few years.

I think that this is it...

Uchee Shooting Range

Tel: 334-727-2652

Forest Service Road 910B

Range Type: Public

Shooting Facilities:

* Outdoor Pistol (25 yds)
* Outdoor Rifle (25,50,100 yds)

Edit: Actually, I'm almost positive that is it. It was only like 15 minutes from Campus.
Tuskegee, AL 36083
Oh, and WAR EAGLE!!!

Redneck19
03-03-11, 13:26
You ain't too far from Benning. There's bound to be some spots around Columbus...

RTR!!!

Adam_s
03-07-11, 11:20
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've heard that the "public" range in the state park is a bit of an animal house, and since I'll be actually trying to become proficient, etc, I'd rather not be dealing with cranks, yahoos, and "experts".

BTW: War DAMN Eagle!
-Adam

Tigereye
04-22-11, 04:04
Adam,
I live in Opelika and shoot at EAGC. I'd be glad to take you out there or put you in touch with the Club Pres. There's also Shooter's in Columbus, which is an indoor range and store.
WDE
Eric

Adam_s
04-22-11, 06:06
There is a new range in the process of attempting to be opened in Auburn, called Auburn Armory of all things. It's still in the planning/development stages, but, it certainly won't hurt to help support them.

http://www.AuburnArmory.com

-Adam

Tigereye
04-24-11, 11:07
A guy I got to church with, Charlie Edwards, told me about The Armory. Charlie is also an AR15 armorer, FFL, and sells most things AR. If you ever need his number, let me know. He's a good dealer.

claybirdd
04-24-11, 20:43
Man really makes me miss my glory days down in tiger town. In my opinion the area really does need a better range than the one in the WMA. When I was in school there a person was accidentally shot at that range and died on the third bench from the right. I can't tell you how many acts of utter stupidity and total disregards of safety I personally saw at the WMA range. I fully suport a new range sight and hope there is on-sight staff for safety and training. WAR DAMN EAGLE

Tigereye
04-24-11, 21:36
Adam,
There is also a club in Shorter at Exit 22 on I-85 called Central AL Gun Club. It is larger than EAGC.
Eric

Redneck19
04-25-11, 13:35
A guy I got to church with, Charlie Edwards, told me about The Armory. Charlie is also an AR15 armorer, FFL, and sells most things AR. If you ever need his number, let me know. He's a good dealer.

Same guy who runs Checkpoint Charlie?

If so, I met him at a B'ham gunshow, he's a classy guy.

Tigereye
04-26-11, 20:39
Same guy.
Great guy.

ryan
04-26-11, 21:17

Tigereye
04-27-11, 06:30
Based on all that I've heard of the place for years, I bet it's much safer at your paw in law's. I've never been to that shooting range. I loved deer hunting for several years in Ft. Davis south of Tuskegee until the crackheads took over. Besides having things stolen often, it became really unsafe as the punks got braver. Not a good setup for a hobby.

ryan
04-27-11, 13:51
Based on all that I've heard of the place for years, I bet it's much safer at your paw in law's. I've never been to that shooting range. I loved deer hunting for several years in Ft. Davis south of Tuskegee until the crackheads took over. Besides having things stolen often, it became really unsafe as the punks got braver. Not a good setup for a hobby.

MUCH safer, we had 3 tandem axle loads of fill dumped to stop bullets, and can shoot out to 600. Yeah the crackheads got really bad a couple of years back and we had to patrol my dads land just to keep the labs from showing up everywhere. Lee County's deputies have put a big dent in that activity in my part of the world thank god.

Tigereye
04-27-11, 17:57
I know the Lee Co. Sheriff and several deputies. Those guys do a great job. Lee Co., Auburn, and Opelika PD's have been pretty effective with their joint drug task force.

ryan
04-27-11, 20:43
I know the Lee Co. Sheriff and several deputies. Those guys do a great job. Lee Co., Auburn, and Opelika PD's have been pretty effective with their joint drug task force.

Agreed, the few times Ive been pulled over or my family needed their service all three forces have been excellent guys/gals to deal with. Sheriff Jones was the witness at my court house wedding, he might remember but I doubt it. Op, sorry to derail.

Adam_s
07-16-11, 08:59
Seems like the Auburn Armory project is really getting off the ground. They got the city ordinance changed so they could open, and I THINK even have permitting done too. Just a matter of building it. Their target opening date is late 2011 (Nov/Dec), which is exciting to me. I'll be here for another 3 years at least (wife is in school), so having a good place to shoot right down the road is awesome. Add to it that it'll supposedly be one of the better indoor ranges globally, and I'm a happy man.

Tigereye
07-31-11, 21:56
I look forward to their opening.

AeroMan556
07-18-17, 13:33
Seems like the Auburn Armory project is really getting off the ground. They got the city ordinance changed so they could open, and I THINK even have permitting done too. Just a matter of building it. Their target opening date is late 2011 (Nov/Dec), which is exciting to me. I'll be here for another 3 years at least (wife is in school), so having a good place to shoot right down the road is awesome. Add to it that it'll supposedly be one of the better indoor ranges globally, and I'm a happy man.

Did it ever open? Oh yeah one more thing War Damn Eagle !!!!

Tigereye
07-26-17, 07:45
It has not opened. Charlie has a LGS called The Firing Pin in Opelika. Their website has an update with plans to build the new indoor range and open next Spring.

AeroMan556
07-26-17, 08:50
It has not opened. Charlie has a LGS called The Firing Pin in Opelika. Their website has an update with plans to build the new indoor range and open next Spring.

Where is it located at in Opelika?

Tigereye
07-26-17, 12:24
From Auburn, it's on Opelika Rd past the mall and Krystal on the left.
From opelika, it's on Auburn Rd on the right before Krystal.