PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Members: relocation question

M4arc
03-03-11, 11:57
For those guys in and around the Pittsburgh area this question is for you.

The Boss and I are talking about moving back home. Well not our original home (Grove City) but closer to Pittsburgh. I need to be relatively close to the airport (within 50 miles) and an ice rink so my son can play hockey. We're thinking about Cranberry or around Zelienople but don't know much about other areas.

Any suggestion on areas to look at (or avoid) would be greatly appreciated.

lethal dose
03-03-11, 12:00
how about the youngstown, ohio AREA. not specifically youngstown, but just the area. i like it here alot. to boot, there are quite a few ice hockey rinks around.

M4arc
03-03-11, 12:02
how about the youngstown, ohio AREA. not specifically youngstown, but just the area. i like it here alot. to boot, there are quite a few ice hockey rinks around.

I don't know...I'm not that familiar with the area. Over Thanksgiving my Dad, son and I went a Phantoms game and the place seemed pretty cool. When I lived in PA the only thing I know about Ohio (besides that I hated the Browns) was we could legally buy beer there at 18 :alcoholic:

lethal dose
03-03-11, 12:02
also, i have had the pleasure of working with SEVERAL m4c members right in this area. seems like there is a high concentration around here. plus, you have g&r tactical, low speed high drag, vickers, and hackathorn all right in this vicinity. of course, you'd always be welcome at my range!

lethal dose
03-03-11, 12:03
...When I lived in PA the only thing I know about Ohio (besides that I hated the Browns) was we could legally buy beer there at 18 :alcoholic:

you must be OLD. :D

M4arc
03-03-11, 12:04
also, i have had the pleasure of working with SEVERAL m4c members right in this area. seems like there is a high concentration around here. plus, you have g&r tactical, low speed high drag, vickers, and hackathorn all right in this vicinity. of course, you'd always be welcome at my range!

Va_Dinger and I successfully deported him from Hampton Roads a few years ago and I'm not sure I'm ready to live in the same state with him again :p

you must be OLD. :D

I'm certainly not as young as I once was that's for sure.

lethal dose
03-03-11, 12:09
Va_Dinger and I successfully deported him from Hampton Roads a few years ago and I'm not sure I'm ready to live in the same state with him again :p

point taken. this place hasn't been the same since he's moved in. if you move up here, i'm sure we can do what you and dinger did a few years back. ;)

M4arc
03-03-11, 12:14
point taken. this place hasn't been the same since he's moved in. if you move up here, i'm sure we can do what you and dinger did a few years back. ;)

I'm not sure he has any place to go now. We only snuck him into Ohio because we told you it would be a boost to your state's economy. Now the other 48 states are wise to our tactics and probably wouldn't accept him.

Gutshot John
03-03-11, 12:14
Gun laws in PA are much more permissive than Ohio. Moon/Kennedy are close to airport and I'm pretty sure there are rinks out there. Several nice gun clubs too. Cranberry is nice if you don't have to commute into town.

sl4mdaddy
03-04-11, 07:18
How Yuns doin'!

The only thing I know about da'Burgh is that the Strip district is a blast to visit....Penn-Mac, Primanti Bros. Made a few trips there while visiting friends.

Yummy!

Baldy
03-08-11, 15:41
I live in cranberry. What do you want to know?

The_War_Wagon
03-10-11, 20:34
The "happenin'" places right now (so expect to pay MORE for houisng - and taxes) are;

- Mars
- Cranberry
- Robinson Twp.

(all NW of the city proper, and near the airport)

- Canonsburg
- North Strabane
- Peters Twp

(all SW of the city proper, and near the airport)

I'm more familiar with the SW side of things, and a community I'd SERIOUSLY consider, because housing is cheaper, schools are good, and your access to I-79 and the airport is quick, would be Bridgeville. I don't live there now, and never have, but I've always been impressed with that little town, FWIW.

firemike
09-19-11, 21:02
I was going to suggest what War Wagon said ...

So - I will add - Peters Twp & North Strabane are the only ones on the list that have Career Firefighters. Property values and taxes are similar in all - so get the most for your money.

Good luck on the move.

Tsiklauss
09-19-11, 21:24
I grew up in Allison park it was great. North allegheny is the best school district in the area and has the best sports programs. I would look either there or Wexford.

cody0341
09-19-11, 22:23
I just moved to Chippewa recently. I really like the area but still trying to find a job. Anyway if your looking for a great range there is the Beaver Valley Rifle and pistol club.

cody0341
09-19-11, 22:23

hey what range is yours?

Jay Cunningham
09-19-11, 23:21
Have we met? I'm Training Exec at BVRPC...

cody0341
09-20-11, 10:26
Have we met? I'm Training Exec at BVRPC...

You were my reference, I put up a post about moving to the area and you said for me to put you as my reference for BVRPC.

Jay Cunningham
09-20-11, 13:33
But have we met??

:lol:

cody0341
09-20-11, 15:11
nope we have not met.

platoonDaddy
09-20-11, 17:17
The Ice Arena in Delmont Pa, is hard tooooooooooo beat.

http://www.centericearena.com/

As previously stated, the gun laws are great in Pa and of course the hunting.

Read this a few years back - East of the Mississippi Westmoreland County (PA) has more CCW's then any state east of the Mississippi. Don't know if this is factual but I certainly was amazed.

Westmoreland County might just be out of your 50 mile range. Think it would be a bitch driving through the tunnels everyday.

You could also live in Mars Pa and enjoy the Airport Ice Arena:
http://www.airporticearena.com/