PDA

View Full Version : Which trigger?

sapper36
03-03-11, 13:46
I am putting together a DM type rifle and would like to know more about triggers. All of my other rifles have stock triggers. I know that the Geissele triggers are very popular. How much different are they from the LMT two stage? TIA

ALCOAR
03-03-11, 14:23
Let me say that the only three triggers that I personally consider to be worthy to go into a hard use or duty/LE gun would be:

Geissele
KAC
LMT

The LMT is extremely reliable, well made, and has a relatively clean and smooth pull.

The KAC is also super reliable, very well made, and has a really nice pull and break.

Finally you have the GA triggers, the crown jewel in my book. They are easily the most reliable, well designed, clean breaking, smooth pulling, triggers on the market today imho.

I would take a look at the SD-E, SSA-E, DMR, SD-C, SSA. In that order, the SD-E again imho is the finest hard use precision trigger made to date. I have almost 7k rounds fired on my initial one and have had zero hiccups.

Birddog1911
03-07-11, 10:00
I have the Geissele SSA-E in my SPR, and I couldn't be happier. It breaks so nicely. Nothing to adjust, and drops in nicely.

1stIDvet
03-07-11, 10:08
Timney is also a good choice.

sapper36
03-07-11, 12:00
Thanks everyone. My biggest problem with the Geiselle triggers is that they have a lot and their website doesnt have some of the models covered here. Not sure if I am doing it wrong or what. I think I am going to lean toward the LMT 2 stage.

m1ajunkie
03-07-11, 13:30
Depending on what you want, you may not be happy with the lmt 2 stage. The lmt makes a great combat trigger, but I didn't like it in the precision role.

I am currently selling my 2 stage lmt trigger because when compared side by side with my geiselle ssa it wasn't quite as good as it could be. I am using my rifle as a precision rifle and the lmt was a little heavier and has just a little bit of creep that is not present in the geiselle.

Due to this I am selling the lmt to buy a geiselle ssa-e which is supposed to be "cleaner" ssa. I read that it has a lighter pull weight and instead of breaking like a carrot it breaks like a glass rod.

MistWolf
03-07-11, 14:47
I was going to buy a Geisselle high speed trigger as it is adjustable. However, when I tried the SSA-E, I said "This trigger already has the pull I want for less money." I installed the SSA-E in my precision AR and can't wait to try it

Belmont31R
03-07-11, 15:16
Geisseles have way better feel than the LMT. I wasn't all that pleased with the one that came in the MWS I bought.

Hmac
03-07-11, 15:58
Love the Giessele's. My buddy was at SHOT, said they were selling them virtually out of the back of a truck. He picked up two SSA's for me for $120 each.

pointblank4445
03-07-11, 20:59
I loved Geissele triggers until I had one shit the bed this afternoon. The failure (broken hammer) is not what concerns me, it was the cross section of the break.

pics and posts to come regarding this issue.

ALCOAR
03-07-11, 21:35
I loved Geissele triggers until I had one shit the bed this afternoon. The failure (broken hammer) is not what concerns me, it was the cross section of the break.

pics and posts to come regarding this issue.

Have you given GA the opportunity to hear about this problem first?

The only GA triggers I've ever heard of a problem coming from were a very few that had defective hammers(weak metal IIrc)...GA issued a recall on these as well for the few that were released into the market.

Belmont31R
03-07-11, 21:41
Yes I would be checking to see if yours was one of the ones that was supposed to be sent back in.

If not then your's is only the 2nd Geissele trigger Ive heard about breaking.

bp7178
03-07-11, 21:42
I think that is the first I have ever heard of a problem with one of their triggers.

Have you contacted them about it?

EDIT: Just saw the info about the recalled ones. Does anyone have info about what models/lot numbers were being recalled?

pointblank4445
03-07-11, 23:19
Have you given GA the opportunity to hear about this problem first?

The only GA triggers I've ever heard of a problem coming from were a very few that had defective hammers(weak metal IIrc)...GA issued a recall on these as well for the few that were released into the market.

My intent is to call them during business hours tomorrow.

Weak metal seems to be the culprit based on what I can see. If it makes any difference, I got it back in the Fall of '09 from Rainier. I am not finding much on a recall notice, but I'll ask about when I call.

For the record, I have always been wary of running any type of "match" trigger for any fighting or hard-use AR.

I should also be fair and state that my experience with this trigger prior to this event was excellent.

spr1
03-09-11, 18:35
I called GA about this.. I spoke to one of the guys there, sorry, I don't recall the name.
None of the SSA's were affected. It was a very small batch of another flavor a few years ago.

Rosco Benson
03-12-11, 13:19
One might consider the American Trigger Corp's Gold Trigger. This is one of the "drop-in module" type units. My friend Ronin Coleman, of PACT, chose to be the distributor of these triggers after extensive use and testing of them. Ronin knows firearms and he knows business, so he isn't going to push junk out the door.

Also notable is that Hershel Davis recommends them, as does Jerry Mickulek. So the recommendations range from that of a combat veteran SEAL to one of the winningest competition shooters of all time.

Besides offering a nice trigger pull, the unit is designed to be drop safe. We know that in the real world, rifles do get dropped from time to time. This is an important feature.

http://www.americantrigger.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=53

Rosco

ALCOAR
03-12-11, 14:31
If I ever were to try another trigger besides a GA or KAC, the Gold trigger is it...Ive read about them quite a bit but given their price tag and their competition, it's a damn tough market I would imagine.

The Gold trigger has had a lot of R&D actually put into it from all that I can tell and that is one of the hallmark's to GA triggers. I'd like to see a Gold trigger and a SD3G go head to head on a shot clock. Jerry M is by far my favorite "Pro" shooter, he is simply incredible.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-12-11, 23:28
Geisseles have way better feel than the LMT. I wasn't all that pleased with the one that came in the MWS I bought.

I'm doing the same thing. I find that when the LMT got a little dirty from shooting, it got gritty and the 2nd stage weight went up a bit. Not a bad trigger, but I knew that the trigger was causing me some problems, so I'm switching it out. I had a 2stage GA match trigger in my 3-gun rifle, but I got a SD3G for that lower so I could swap the match for the stock trigger in the LMT. The LMT would be great for a carbine- I don't think it slows be down much runn'in&gun'in and gives me the advantage of a 2-stage when I need it. I haven't heard of many LMT 2stages going goofy in regular use.

Pontif
03-13-11, 09:32
I only use Timney or Geissele. The SSE is my pick of the Bunch. Nothing compares.

sapper36
03-14-11, 21:15
Can anyone tell me which has the flat trigger? I cant find one on their website, TIA

sapper36
03-14-11, 21:18
Nevermind, found them on Midway

ALCOAR
03-14-11, 21:21
I saw yesterday or day before that RainierArms is now stocking them, they are the first to sell them outside of Midway to my knowledge. Midway's price is unbeatable currently. That said, RainierArms is such a first class outfit that ships at the speed of light.