PDA

View Full Version : Vltor upper

roboa89
03-03-11, 18:19
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the vltor upper reciever. I was considering installing one on my bushmaster. How is the fit between the upper and the lower with a bushmaster? Anyway mine has a little rattle between upper and lower, and was kinda wanting alittle tighter fit if I upgrade to the vltor.

Whootsinator
03-03-11, 18:21
There is no guarantee that any lower will fit tight with any upper, even from high quality companies. It is not required for proper, safe, or reliable function; it is not a goal of high quality companies that produce fighting carbines. Companies that do advertise 'Good fit and finish' are usually lower quality companies with profits in mind and not producing a quality product.

If you're buying an expensive non-standard upper and you don't know why, you don't need it. For those that do know why they need it, it is an excellent product. If you just have the cash to burn and want it because it looks cool, go for it... Though even if that is the case, I think you have more effective areas to put money into.

markm
03-03-11, 18:25
Are you talking about the MUR upper?

Iraqgunz put one together for Pappabear here. It is a very nice upper. It's a true upgrade to a stronger upper that's out of a real forging and not one of the billet things.

I'd bet it'll fit better than what you have, but like Whootsinator said there's not guarantee.

roboa89
03-03-11, 18:37
Yea, I don't know if i'll go for it or not. I was just seeing peoples opinions on it. It may be something I'll go for in the future. I originally had the a1 upper on my carbine when I bought it, then I purchased a mil spec flat top upper and I installed it. After I installed it I noticed there was a little more wobble between the recievers than what the original upper had. Nothing much just something I've noticed.

roboa89
03-03-11, 20:50
Also, I failed to mention I have had this rifle for alittle over three years now. I have shot many, many rounds through it and I am familier with it. I am not some new kid who just bought the rifle and is trying to improve on the looks! I do understand the purpose of the upper more than upper/lower fitment. I just think my rifle might benefit from a new upper(something a little more sturdy) to accomodate my bcm bolt carrier group. Sorry if this sounded like I was ranting I just felt I needed to clear that up so my threads might be taken more seriously

87GN
03-03-11, 23:45
I have never had a MUR that was loose on any lower.

bkb0000
03-03-11, 23:54

indeed... i've put MURs on like 6 different manfer's lowers, and never had one that wasn't rock solid. some are almost too tight, though, which takes it from good to not as good.

Stickman
03-04-11, 01:01

Agreed, I've got a few different MUR and VIS builds, and none have ever been anything close to a loose fit.

eternal24k
03-04-11, 07:17
as mentioned they tend to fit tighter than most. I have a few MURs and VIS, both billet and forged, and the only one that didnt play nice was the billet MUR and a POF genIII lower, both were just a little too tight, had to remove some material from the rear tab.

Also had to heat a VIS and freeze a barrel to fit the barrel into the receiver, but that's about it.

Grease Monkey
03-04-11, 07:25
My MUR fits a BCM and S&W lower better than others I've used. I'm really happy with the MUR and will be using them on all future builds. I would recommend them.

markm
03-04-11, 19:41
I need another AR like I need KNS pins....

But that MUR is and awesome receiver.