PDA

View Full Version : Common Trigger for Three Guns

hals1
03-04-11, 10:14
I have two AR-15s, one with a Bushmaster lower and one with a BCM lower. The triggers don't feel the same.:(

I am planning to get a M&P 15-22, I expect it's trigger to be different.:(

I would like to get three identical groups to put in all three guns. I prefer single stage. I am not an "operator", just a regular guy who likes the platform and wants something in case the SHTF. One of the guns is a 20" for varmints and one is a 16" middie for serious stuff.

I am thinking of getting three Rock River single stage kits and sending them to Bill Springfield. Or how about the Spikes Battle Trigger Set?

Any comments? Suggestions? Three Giessele triggers are out of my budget.

PrarieDog
03-04-11, 13:11
One word of advice do not use the RRA match trigger in the M&P. It may not reset andcycle the action.
As for the triggers I would suggest buying from the same vendor (trigger group) maybe install the JP spring kit in all three. Cost should be reasonable.

goalie
03-04-11, 19:45
One word of advice do not use the RRA match trigger in the M&P. It may not reset andcycle the action.
As for the triggers I would suggest buying from the same vendor (trigger group) maybe install the JP spring kit in all three. Cost should be reasonable.

The guy did say he was thinking of using rock river SINGLE-STAGE triggers tuned up, not the NM 2-stage.

;)

SA80Dan
03-04-11, 21:36
Personally I would not go with the Spikes Battle Trigger. I think the concept is good....but from the one I got at least, it is a pretty mediocre trigger-I feel their choice of underlying trigger is probably not the best. The best stock trigger by far I have come across is the LWRC coated one....which IMO is what the Spikes Battle Trigger wants to be when it grows up. But....they are not particularly cheap either when bought as a stand alone item rather than as part of a LPK.

I have found that with GI triggers, even those from the same brand - they all vary a bit. One thing that I have found helpful to at least level the pull weight is installing David Tubbs CS springs. Won't give you a light pull, but I find they crisp up any stock trigger and at least make it consistent.

amd5007
03-05-11, 08:00
I'm working on my third build, and I've just used a Rock River LPK. The trigger in that LPK is crisp and clean with no grit, better than the trigger that came in my previous DD LPK. If I were you, I would order three single stage trigger groups from them, I think they are around $35 or so.

PrarieDog
03-05-11, 09:37
The guy did say he was thinking of using rock river SINGLE-STAGE triggers tuned up, not the NM 2-stage.

;)

I understand that he was looking at single stage I was just relating my personal experience.;)

Evil Bert
03-05-11, 09:53
I have a Bushmaster Lower with an original Bushmaster LPK. The trigger is sloopy. I swapped out that LPK for a Daniel Defense LPK. The trigger on that set is a crisp single stage with a almost none existant overtravel. One of the nicest stock single stage triggers I have used.

If I was in your shoes here is what I would buy for all three guns. low cost and meets your requirements.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1180

Robb Jensen
03-05-11, 10:04
I have two AR-15s, one with a Bushmaster lower and one with a BCM lower. The triggers don't feel the same.:(

I am planning to get a M&P 15-22, I expect it's trigger to be different.:(

I would like to get three identical groups to put in all three guns. I prefer single stage. I am not an "operator", just a regular guy who likes the platform and wants something in case the SHTF. One of the guns is a 20" for varmints and one is a 16" middie for serious stuff.

I am thinking of getting three Rock River single stage kits and sending them to Bill Springfield. Or how about the Spikes Battle Trigger Set?

Any comments? Suggestions? Three Giessele triggers are out of my budget.

I'd suggest JP triggers. My S&W M&P15-22 won't work with Geissele triggers due to the bolt not having enough power to cock the hammer when firing.

hals1
03-05-11, 21:35
I have a Bushmaster Lower with an original Bushmaster LPK. The trigger is sloopy. I swapped out that LPK for a Daniel Defense LPK. The trigger on that set is a crisp single stage with a almost none existant overtravel. One of the nicest stock single stage triggers I have used.

If I was in your shoes here is what I would buy for all three guns. low cost and meets your requirements.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1180

I have a Bushmaster lower and a BCM lower. As far as I'm concerned, the Bushmaster trigger is world's better than the BCM. Don't have enough rounds thru either though to see how they will wear in. I am getting a Bill Springfield group to see how it works. Will put it in the BCM. Maybe on both. Or not. I don't want to spend the money for SSAs; but if that what it takes, so be it. I want similar triggers on both.

ChicagoTex
03-06-11, 01:26
Bill Springfield's AR trigger work has a rep for doubling from time to time, especially after seeing a few hundred rounds (do a search on it, many on this forum have experienced it firsthand). Not recommended.

Evil Bert
03-06-11, 07:16
Bill Springfield's AR trigger work has a rep for doubling from time to time, especially after seeing a few hundred rounds (do a search on it, many on this forum have experienced it firsthand). Not recommended.

Doesn't matter really, they are just springs that cab be replaced for very minimal cost. I personally do not believe in manipulating the springs as that can cause damage if not done properly. However, I do not believe that is the case with the triggers I linked to above. That would not be very good since there would be inconsistencies between each trigger as Bill does custom jobs manually.

These triggers appear to be more along the lines of specially designed springs for the trigger assembly.

Of course this is my opinion and is not based on fact but more on business sense.

ChicagoTex
03-06-11, 08:39
Doesn't matter really, they are just springs that cab be replaced for very minimal cost.

You think a trigger that frequently can't consistently pass safety check and doubles "doesn't matter"? I disagree wholeheartedly.

However, I do not believe that is the case with the triggers I linked to above.

These triggers may indeed be different from Bill's usual simple filing on a surface-hardened mil-spec part and dicking with the springs. I don't know, and that's why I still can't recommend it on a defense weapon (especially given past BS triggers).

To the OP, obviously it's your decision. My recommendation would be, if you're really interested, to get one or two for the gun(s) you rely on the least, thoroughly test them, and then if all's well go ahead and fill out all your rifles. And please share your findings.

hals1
03-06-11, 09:17
You think a trigger that frequently can't consistently pass safety check and doubles "doesn't matter"? I disagree wholeheartedly.

To the OP, obviously it's your decision. My recommendation would be, if you're really interested, to get one or two for the gun(s) you rely on the least, thoroughly test them, and then if all's well go ahead and fill out all your rifles. And please share your findings.

That is my plan. Get one and put it on the BCM lower and use it a while. If I like it, send the BCM group in for tune up. If not, try something else. Wasn't planning to do all at once.