PDA

View Full Version : So What Is The Final Verdict On The Steyr Scout...?

SteyrAUG
03-04-11, 12:49
Yeah, I know...I'm late to the game on this one.

But the system has always intrigued me. I've handled a few but have no real experience with them. When they first came out the low powered scout position scope put me off, I just couldn't warm up to it.

I also had concerned about the durability of the folding biod is the handguard set up. I know on the L1A2 the concept is sturdy but I wondered about the Scout over the long term.

Stated accuracy always seemed acceptable to me and I'm assuming those stats are based on reliable info.

So my question for anyone with any real experience is, how do they hold up over time? Is it a practical rifle and is the cost justified when compared to say a FN bolt action carbine?

I don't really "need" another bolt action .308 but that doesn't mean I won't buy one if the performance justifies the price and it is well made.

kartoffel
03-04-11, 13:56
It's a classic, if you can call a concept that's not really that old a classic. If Col. Cooper was still kicking he might spec the rifle out a little differently but not by a whole lot. Optics have improved. You could run a 1-4x red dot in the regular position, rather than a fixed 2x mounted forwards.

As for who makes the best "Scout Rifle", I'd say if you're that into the concept you're best off building your own.

okie john
03-04-11, 14:04
Check out the thread on the Ruger Scout. It's a pretty comprehensive discussion of where the concept currently stands and where it might go.

Okie John

Ttwwaack
03-04-11, 14:12
I looked at these rifles for awhile myself and then when I started working up in Alaska started looking really hard for a 376 Steyr. I finally found one on Auction Arms in the 600 range. As I followed the auction, I had it at probably no more than 950 at the closing of the auction, hit submit bid and lost my connection. I was pissed but then again maybe someone was looking out for me. I really wanted a light quick handling big bore.

Shortly thereafter, Ruger came out with their frontier style rifle with the foward scope mount base. If I was to do it again, I'd go with the Ruger as it would be an abused neglected trunk gun. As for the intended use, a Remington Safari SS/Syn in 375, a 458 Lott and a 45/70 SS Guide no fill the roll.

While I was looking at the rifle, I recall it was light but it only had the optic mount and no scope. The bipod as I recalled was long, 12" Min neighbor hood and thought it was alittle flimsy. It would not take the pounding a Harris Bipod would.

okie john
03-04-11, 16:57
Sorry--double post.

Okie John

SteyrAUG
03-05-11, 14:32
Check out the thread on the Ruger Scout. It's a pretty comprehensive discussion of where the concept currently stands and where it might go.

Okie John

Looks promising.

Aesthetically the Steyr appeals to me more (dumb reason) but the Ruger scout does seem to be a very practical package.

Right now the only thing holding me back from the Steyr (besides the lower cost of the Ruger) is the whole folding handguard/bipod setup. I'm wondering how durable it is over time with use. If it gets looser over time and flops loose or breaks or anything like that.

If it is actually solid and stays that way, I do want the option. But if it isn't I want to avoid the Steyr rifle.

cqbdriver
03-05-11, 14:45
Here is a site on the Steyr:
http://steyrscout.org/

Under tips & tricks section, was a discussion on the bipod:
http://steyrscout.org/steyrtip.htm#Bipod

Here is a forum on the scout rifle:
http://www.scoutrifle.org
It is not very active, but it has good info.