PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Rear Sights

RedRaptor
03-04-11, 16:07
Hey all,

I'm new both to the site and to the AR game in general, and I'm currently finishing up my first AR build - a Spike's Tactical midlength. However, there is one critical piece of the rifle I don't have yet, namely, the rear sight.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what kind of rear sight I want to put on this gun now that I can afford one, and the number of options seems infinite. I'm considering the Magpul MBUS flip-ups for price reasons, but if I can afford them I want to spring for the Troy flip-up. Ideally I just want something sturdy and flexible (large/small aperture) to go with my Primary Arms M2 red dot and F-marked FSB, but I'm worried I might be missing some obvious choice that would work for both my rifle build and my budget.

What kind of rear sights do you guys typically recommend? Are they all more or less the same or are there some brand names like Troy, Daniel Defense, LaRue, etc. that just stand out above the rest in terms of quality?

roboa89
03-04-11, 19:55
I have the magpul buis rear sight. Its the only one I've used, but for the price they are nice! They do not lock into the up position, only when they are folded. They seem very sturdy although I havent came across any mapul products so far that I didn't feel were a quality product. I like the troys too! Seriously considered them before I settled on the magpul.

benw315
03-04-11, 20:05
The Daniel Defense A1.5 seems pretty popular. It's around 65 bucks online. I ordered one for my 14.5 middy but don't have it yet so I can't comment on how it works for me. It is not flip up though, in case that is what you're looking for.

Rattlehead
03-04-11, 20:16
Said it many times before, I love the KAC 600M rears, as well as the 300M's.
If you're on a budget, the MBUS's are a great alternative, but they aren't as low profile as others.

roboa89
03-04-11, 20:30
what rattlehead said is true, I didn't realize the size of the magpul sights before I got it. Mine is installed under my acog but is pretty thick for a folding sight. Just something to consider before making your choice.

rattlesnake
03-04-11, 21:27
The mbus just barely fits under an acog, but it does. I saved $65 bucks on something that will never be used. But I was surprised how well they work for a hunk of plastic. If You plan on shooting with a flip up, buy something nice.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/DSCN1663.jpg

RedRaptor
03-04-11, 21:57
The mbus just barely fits under an acog, but it does. I saved $65 bucks on something that will never be used. But I was surprised how well they work for a hunk of plastic. If You plan on shooting with a flip up, buy something nice.

Yeah, that's part of the issue for me. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the Primary Arms M2 on there the whole time, so I kind of want some nicer irons; I just don't know how often I'm going to be using them.

Though I do plan on cowitnessing them, so maybe I should spring for something more sturdy like a Daniel Defense 1.5. Might still try out the MBUS just due to local availability and sell if it I decide I don't like it.

rattlesnake
03-04-11, 22:31
Yeah, shoot it and if You don't like the mbus, sell it, and buy the 1.5. The mbus will get You by. Why don't You just buy\y the aimpoint pro, and screw the primary arms fake m2? I am not flaming, but I think a spikes middy is worthy of a real aimpoint. I'd shoot with an mbus for a year and save up the money for a pro or an eotch before id put a fake aimpoint on a gun.

Edit: I didn't properly read Your original post, where You said You already had a primary red dot.

RedRaptor
03-04-11, 23:02
Yeah, the PA M2 was something I got off another AR owner who didn't want his anymore; I figured I'd use it to get used to running optics on my rifle until I could afford something more pricey like a Aimpoint Micro or EOTech.

Thanks, I think I'll try out the MBUS and then spring for a DD1.5 or Troy once I get the rest of my rifle stuff sorted out.

nobody knows
03-05-11, 13:30
This of course is just my opinion, but if your just starting out with the platform I would go with a fixed rear sight Like the DD A.1.5. Get used to and get the feel of the platform before you start running an optic. So if the optic ever fails (common with the cheaper optics) it's second nature. It's already up and ready to go. You don't have to think about anything you can just keep going. As you where already saying you wanted to Co witness anyway, I think that's the best option. Tame the beast before you augment it so to speak.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.