PDA

View Full Version : Assault rifle for 6.8mm

AR3
03-04-11, 16:18
Hello, first post here. Don't know a lot about assault weapons. Trying to learn and have a few questions I would like to post here.

Would like to buy a good quality tactical rifle however not sure what brand to purchase. I was set on the LWRC 6.8mm PSD, but having read several derogatory posts on the site, I am leaning towards a direct impingement system.

Not looking for long range platform, just a well made rifle for weekend range shooting and for when the zombies attack ;)

I've heard Noveske and LMT make good quality 6.8mm rifles. Any recommendations.

MistoGators
03-04-11, 16:23
Are you absolutely set on one in 6.8?

ASH556
03-04-11, 16:27
Welcome! I recommend visiting the terminal ballistics forum. My guess is that you may dispell some incorrect notions you may have regarding the effectiveness of 556 . For your stated uses, I would look at a 556 carbine as it will be most cost effective and logistically feasible. BCM, DD, LMT, and Noveske are good choices.

AR3
03-04-11, 16:28
Are you absolutely set on one in 6.8?

95% set on it. I have a M4 556 rifle and would like to purchase something in a different caliber. I read the specs on 6.8mm and I like the ballistics of the round. I know 6.8 ammo is expensive but I don't plan or even have the time to shoot enough for that to be a problem.

xbmxracerx
03-04-11, 16:30
You mentioned some good ones below and also look at DD for their entry... (https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v6-8.html) Barrett also has the Rec7 (http://www.barrett.net/firearms/rec7)

I also added hyperlinks to the ones you mentioned below...

Hello, first post here. Don't know a lot about assault weapons. Trying to learn and have a few questions I would like to post here.

Would like to buy a good quality tactical rifle however not sure what brand to purchase. I was set on the LWRC 6.8mm (http://www.lwrci.com/p-111-psd.aspx) PSD, but having read several derogatory posts on the site, I am leaning towards a direct impingement system.

Not looking for long range platform, just a well made rifle for weekend range shooting and for when the zombies attack ;)

I've heard Noveske (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display2.cgi?cat=107) and LMT (http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/16-68-spc-cqb-rifle-with-sopmod-stock.html)make good quality 6.8mm rifles. Any recommendations.

fdxpilot
03-04-11, 18:48
I would suggest you check out a company called AR Performance. The guy who runs it posts on this forum under the name Constructor. He is one of the driving forces behind the improvements in the 6.8SPC round in the last couple years. He has a selection of uppers and complete rifles, that range anywhere from the basic military style carbine (although with a mid-length gas system) to customized target or hunting rifles. All are at a decent price, and probably less than you would pay for a Noveske or Wilson Combat, who seem to have the most highly regarded high-end 6.8 offerings.

I am on my second AR Performance upper though, so I may be a little prejudiced.

fdxpilot
03-04-11, 18:52
95% set on it. I have a M4 556 rifle and would like to purchase something in a different caliber. I read the specs on 6.8mm and I like the ballistics of the round. I know 6.8 ammo is expensive but I don't plan or even have the time to shoot enough for that to be a problem.

This is a cut and paste from another post I made, comparing the 6.8 and .308 ammo costs. I think it also applies here.

One thing to think about. When people talk about the .308/7.62x51 being cheap to shoot, they are usually referring to military style 147-150gr FMJ ammo. Once you start looking at Match ammo, TAP style LE/HD rounds, or serious hunting ammo, the .308 advantage decreases if not totally reverses. I have both a 6.8SPC AR and a .308 Remmy 700, so I have had a chance to compare. For instance, I like the Barnes TSX and TTSX rounds for hunting hogs. SSA (Silver State Armory) 6.8 TSX rounds run $24-28 per box, depending on the particular bullet weight and whether you want the hot Tactical rounds. For the 308 (and my kid's .270Win, for that matter,) Federal Vital Shok TSX rounds run $38-42 per box. Hornaday TAP rounds for both run about the same. Also, most of my ammo purchases nowadays are made on the internet. Lots of ammo at good prices, delivered right to my door. Beats scouring the local shops and super-stores for the ammo I want.

TOrrock
03-04-11, 19:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY

floridajpr
03-04-11, 22:34

Would like to buy a good quality tactical rifle however not sure what brand to purchase. I was set on the LWRC 6.8mm PSD, but having read several derogatory posts on the site, I am leaning towards a direct impingement system.

I've heard Noveske and LMT make good quality 6.8mm rifles. Any recommendations.

If it's full Auto your talking about, fine but if it's Semi Auto your talking about, STOP calling it an ASSAULT Rifle when it's not. Please.

doctinker
03-04-11, 23:11
I would suggest you check out a company called AR Performance. The guy who runs it posts on this forum under the name Constructor. He is one of the driving forces behind the improvements in the 6.8SPC round in the last couple years. He has a selection of uppers and complete rifles, that range anywhere from the basic military style carbine (although with a mid-length gas system) to customized target or hunting rifles. All are at a decent price, and probably less than you would pay for a Noveske or Wilson Combat, who seem to have the most highly regarded high-end 6.8 offerings.

I am on my second AR Performance upper though, so I may be a little prejudiced.

Relatively new here, but bought my 6.8 from Constructor 3 years ago. Its accuracy is great. Put in an extra-strength spring and H2 buffer, and it runs like a champ. Also, Constructor's customer service and responsiveness is second to none.
ar15performance.com (http://www.ar15performance.com/)

AR3
03-04-11, 23:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY

Hilarious. A buddy of mine just showed this to me tonight.

AR3
03-05-11, 00:00
Welcome! I recommend visiting the terminal ballistics forum. My guess is that you may dispell some incorrect notions you may have regarding the effectiveness of 556 . For your stated uses, I would look at a 556 carbine as it will be most cost effective and logistically feasible. BCM, DD, LMT, and Noveske are good choices.

I have a colt 5.56. I was looking to get a rifle in a different caliber and have been tossing around the idea of getting a platform for the 6.8mm. Recommend LMT or Noveske for a DI platform? I believe LMT offers a lifetime warranty but can't find any info on Noveske's warranty. Calls to company went to voicemail with no callback.

AR3
03-08-11, 18:54
Anyone know if Noveske has a warranty? If so, how long?

randolph
03-08-11, 20:16
Anyone know if Noveske has a warranty? If so, how long?

I would be surprised if you ever needed a warranty w/a Noveske. I own three and have never needed to bother them.
drop an email here:

(1) sheri@noveskerifleworks.com
(2) john@noveskerifleworks.com

Ive never had them not answer an email, no matter how silly :haha:

I alos own a 6.8 Noveske Rogue Hunter. It is the most accurate rifle I own, bettering even some very expensive custom bolt-actions I have...

AR3
03-08-11, 21:12
I would be surprised if you ever needed a warranty w/a Noveske. I own three and have never needed to bother them.
drop an email here:

(1) sheri@noveskerifleworks.com
(2) john@noveskerifleworks.com

Ive never had them not answer an email, no matter how silly :haha:

I alos own a 6.8 Noveske Rogue Hunter. It is the most accurate rifle I own, bettering even some very expensive custom bolt-actions I have...

Thanks for email addresses. By the way, what are your other 2 Noveske rifles?

Cold
03-08-11, 22:39
Noveske's customer service is excellent, you won't likely need them but if you do, they will take care of you.