PDA

View Full Version : Fun fact re: replacement buffer retainer spring

SpookyPistolero
03-04-11, 17:00
This might be old news to some.. but otherwise, a fun fact.

I recently had to cannibalize an AR to get my Magpul ASAP plate off. Looks like when storing the lower, I managed to lose the spring to the buffer retainer. So in lieu of the 'right tool for the job', I further cannibalized a Bic-style clicky pen and stole the spring from it. Turns out it's a perfect fit for the retainer pin, with very strong pressure.

Haven't fired it yet, but a function check showed no obvious issues. Resilience and resistance to heat might be factors, I'd imagine, that would limit longevity, but of course I'll get a proper replacement soon.

Hopefully this is a useful substitute in case you ever find yourself in a jam.

nimdabew
03-04-11, 18:06
Are you talkinga bout part #13 or part #90?

http://www.olyarms.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/category/arpr_lower-receiver-parts.jpg

SpookyPistolero
03-04-11, 18:11

Minimum characters...

ColdDeadHands
03-04-11, 18:48
I need to order Part 90. When I took the endplate off my LMT lower to install a ASAP part of the spring broke off.

bkb0000
03-04-11, 19:21
heats not gonna be an issue. it's probably a fairly high quality spring.. those pen springs dont seem to break too often, and that's getting clicked over and over again. the buffer retainer spring only gets compressed as often as you clean your gun.

if it works now, it'll probably last as long as anything else.

aside from the buffer spring itself, i seriously doubt any of the springs in an M4 are special for M4s. i'm sure they're just standard available springs that you can even order from your hardware store, if you had all the size and coil info.

SpookyPistolero
03-04-11, 20:26
heats not gonna be an issue. it's probably a fairly high quality spring.. those pen springs dont seem to break too often, and that's getting clicked over and over again. the buffer retainer spring only gets compressed as often as you clean your gun.

if it works now, it'll probably last as long as anything else.

aside from the buffer spring itself, i seriously doubt any of the springs in an M4 are special for M4s. i'm sure they're just standard available springs that you can even order from your hardware store, if you had all the size and coil info.

Good call(s). Let's run it and see what happens... (probably nada...)

nimdabew
03-04-11, 20:39
If for whatever reason we have a run on buffer detent springs, we know to just go to the local office depot and buy a bic pen.

Dave_M
03-04-11, 20:41
I could never recommend using anything other than springs meant for the system for anything longer than a very temporary quick fix (like, the couple days between ordering and receiving the new part).

As as aside, this is why we keep spares around; so we don't have to ghettofy shit whenever possible.

Color me circumspect.

SpookyPistolero
03-04-11, 20:43
I could never recommend using anything other than springs meant for the system for anything longer than a very temporary quick fix (like, the couple days between ordering and receiving the new part).

As as aside, this is why we keep spares around; so we don't have to ghettofy shit whenever possible.

Color me circumspect.

It's not like I used a paperclip for the extractor; it's a non-pressure specific spring.

bkb0000
03-04-11, 20:47
word... and even if it fails, it'll only bug you when you when you go to pivot the upper. otherwise, a functioning plunger is not necessary for firing and cycling.

MistWolf
03-05-11, 00:04
Oh crap, this is bad. Just wait till the front line troops find out. The poor Remington Raiders, Pogues and other REMFs will be going crazy when their clicky pens don't click when they click'em.

"Hey Sergeant, we're out of buffer retainer springs again. What should I do?"
"Head over to supply and swipe a pen. Make sure it isn't the Colonel's this time!"

Later...
"Corporal, what took you so long?"
"It was the Lieutenant. He caught me with the pen, Sergeant."
"So? He's just a clerk"
"He made me fill out the paper work for documenting cannibalizing a part and to order a replacement"

dcs12345
03-05-11, 00:30
I need to order Part 90. When I took the endplate off my LMT lower to install a ASAP part of the spring broke off.

http://www.thecitizensarmory.com/node/32

They have the cheapest shipping I have found on small parts. I recently bought a few pivot pin detent springs from them and I think the shipping was around 70 cents.

ucrt
03-05-11, 00:32

The Buffer Retainer & it's Spring are made of a special metal that when they reach a certain velocity...they vaporize... disintegrate... poof!... gone
Don't know how it happens ...but it does! I know this for a fact. ;)

lethal dose
03-05-11, 00:46
Oh crap, this is bad. Just wait till the front line troops find out. The poor Remington Raiders, Pogues and other REMFs will be going crazy when their clicky pens don't click when they click'em.

"Hey Sergeant, we're out of buffer retainer springs again. What should I do?"
"Head over to supply and swipe a pen. Make sure it isn't the Colonel's this time!"

Later...
"Corporal, what took you so long?"
"It was the Lieutenant. He caught me with the pen, Sergeant."
"So? He's just a clerk"
"He made me fill out the paper work for documenting cannibalizing a part and to order a replacement"

HAHA! Anyhow... I have an old and VERY used preban lower reciever that has a piece broken off in front of where the retainer would go... notice I say "would go." ;)

Dave_M
03-05-11, 19:21

The Buffer Retainer & it's Spring are made of a special metal that when they reach a certain velocity...they vaporize... disintegrate... poof!... gone
Don't know how it happens ...but it does! I know this for a fact. ;)

Air soluble springs, yes indeed! Worst one is the rear take down spring and detent.

ColdDeadHands
03-06-11, 03:21
http://www.thecitizensarmory.com/node/32

They have the cheapest shipping I have found on small parts. I recently bought a few pivot pin detent springs from them and I think the shipping was around 70 cents.

Thanks for the link!