PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning around a pinned gas block

Greyman
03-04-11, 17:35
I want to get a DD 16inMidL LoPro Gasblock barrel that will have a pinned gas block. Im guessing for future reference knowing it will be a bitch or next to impossible to remove how hard is it to clean a gas block that is pinned say to remove build up around the hole or surrounding it once I remove the gas tube.

Im guessing spraying break free cleaner in it will be GTG?? Or am I wrong?:moil:

mhanna91
03-04-11, 17:38
No more difficult than removing an A2 sight tower. I don't know why it would be necessary though...

Belmont31R
03-04-11, 17:42
No need to clean inside the gas block or gas port hole or inside the gas tube.

Id just wipe the exterior with something to prevent rust....depending on your climate. Dry places like AZ don't really need that much rust prevention on the exterior places. Coastal or humid places Id wipe down with an oily rage and then wipe with a dry cloth.

Greyman
03-04-11, 17:42
No more difficult than removing an A2 sight tower. I don't know why it would be necessary though...

Im not to savy I had a bad experience with a pinned welded Gasblock that ended up ruining it trying to remove it and scarring the barrel so was wondering..

If I leave it as is and remove the gas tube that I can spray CLP cleaner or equivalent and be able to remove the debris witout having to depin the gas block from the barrel.??? :confused:

Belmont31R
03-04-11, 17:45
Im not to savy I had a bad experience with a pinned welded Gasblock that ended up ruining it trying to remove it and scarring the barrel so was wondering..

If I leave it as is and remove the gas tube that I can spray CLP cleaner or equivalent and be able to remove the debris witout having to depin the gas block from the barrel.??? :confused:

Who welded a gas block in place?

The only part of the gas system that needs even infrequent cleaning is the BCG. Forward of that requires no maintenance.

Greyman
03-04-11, 17:52
Who welded a gas block in place?

The only part of the gas system that needs even infrequent cleaning is the BCG. Forward of that requires no maintenance.

Im not trying to get off topic to original question, it was a S&W OR gas block, some models people could knock out others were welded in place... long story im moving on from that...

so in place a new barrel with a pinned gas block from DD 16midL lo pro gas block was wondering what you would use to clean inside there. if you cant remove it and to get it spot clean.:):confused:

Grumpy MSG
03-04-11, 17:53
I want to get a DD 16inMidL LoPro Gasblock barrel that will have a pinned gas block. Im guessing for future reference knowing it will be a bitch or next to impossible to remove how hard is it to clean a gas block that is pinned say to remove build up around the hole or surrounding it once I remove the gas tube.

Im guessing spraying break free cleaner in it will be GTG?? Or am I wrong?:moil:
I have never removed a front sight to clean it and that is in thousands and thousands of rounds including the nastiest possible ammo, blanks. I think you are worrying about nothing.

Greyman
03-04-11, 17:55
I have never removed a front sight to clean it and that is in thousands and thousands of rounds including the nastiest possible ammo, blanks. I think you are worrying about nothing.

Probably. Just this ar15 stuff is getting expensive but it will last a lifetime so its a worthwhile purchase and am not trying to make a mistake with a new purchase such as a barrel...:suicide:

Belmont31R
03-04-11, 17:59
Im not trying to get off topic to original question, it was a S&W OR gas block, some models people could knock out others were welded in place... long story im moving on from that...

so in place a new barrel with a pinned gas block from DD 16midL lo pro gas block was wondering what you would use to clean inside there. if you cant remove it and to get it spot clean.:):confused:

Ive said twice now you don't need to clean inside the gas block or gas tube....:confused:

Greyman
03-04-11, 18:01
Ive said twice now you don't need to clean inside the gas block or gas tube....:confused:

I got ya was just replying in general getting a overall opinion from everyone :-)
Thank you for your help!

Iraqgunz
03-04-11, 18:14
Why are we over thinking this?

ZRH
03-04-11, 18:16
You can put some cleaner of choice and compressed air through the gas tube from the receiver side. Should clean it out. Taking apart whole gas block everytime you clean seems like a headache.

Greyman
03-04-11, 20:02
Why are we over thinking this?

Because I wanna purchase something that will last a long time and not be a headache and I am asking a general group of orientated people who are into the AR family of guns opinion on a $330 dollar barrel purchase if a pinned gas block on it is as easy to clean as a non pinned one. :dirol:

Oh yea and did I mention I like you guys so thats why I come on here ;-)

Iraqgunz
03-04-11, 20:47
The point we are trying to make is that there is no need to take off and clean the gas block. You will more than likely burn out the gas port or throat of your barrel first.

Your barrel will not wear out anytime soon and at sometime it will need to be replaced.

Because I wanna purchase something that will last a long time and not be a headache and I am asking a general group of orientated people who are into the AR family of guns opinion on a $330 dollar barrel purchase if a pinned gas block on it is as easy to clean as a non pinned one. :dirol:

Oh yea and did I mention I like you guys so thats why I come on here ;-)

cj5_dude
03-04-11, 22:22
Please open your mind and listen to what everyone else has said so far. I have never met a person who has ever take a gas block off to clean under/in it. It's entirely a waste of time and effort.

Read the thread on cleaning an AR and find where in there it talks about removing a gas block, it's not in there.

msstate56
03-04-11, 23:38
Please read carefully:

Do not remove your gas block for cleaning.
Do not remove your gas tube for cleaning.
Do not clean the gas system.

EVER.

None of those steps should ever be done to "clean" an AR. The only time you should remove any of the above items is if you are replacing one of them or the barrel. None of which you will need to do for tens of thousands of rounds. Buy the Daniel Defense with confidence.

MistWolf
03-04-11, 23:48
That's what the reeeeeally long pipe cleaners are for, cleaning the gas block through the gas tube! http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/Smileys/alive/2funny.gif

Belmont31R
03-04-11, 23:51
That's what the reeeeeally long pipe cleaners are for, cleaning the gas block through the gas tube! http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/Smileys/alive/2funny.gif

Ill gut punch someone who gives me a pipe cleaner to clean an AR. Even back in 2004 I was scavenging our motorpool for brake cleaner to spray off my BCG.

Cesiumsponge
03-05-11, 10:32
Hot, burning crap blasting through the gas block and gas tube is basically a self-cleaning design that deposits everything back at the BCG for ease of cleaning. Clean the BCG and not the gas block.