PDA

View Full Version : Best Antivirus

MSP "Sarge"
03-04-11, 22:25
Which computer antivirus do you use? Which is the best? Something afordable.

Cobra66
03-04-11, 22:28
I use AVG. Seems to do as well as any other I have owned over the years (Norton, Symantic, etc) and best of all, IT IS FREE!

obucina
03-04-11, 22:28
i use AVG Free and Firefox on Windows 7.

TOrrock
03-04-11, 22:30
AVG is ok for cleaning up, but it doesn't necessarily stop an infection.

I'd highly recommend using an updated version of either Firefox or Google Chrome for your browser (I use Google Chrome), they are much better at keeping crap out than Explorer.

5pins
03-05-11, 07:11
MS security essentials, it’s free and not a resource hog.

jmp45
03-05-11, 07:32
AVG or Avast and Prevx. Prevx has found and cleaned malware the others haven't on my machines. Free until it finds something.

http://www.prevx.com

Littlelebowski
03-05-11, 07:45
MS security essentials, it’s free and not a resource hog.

This. By Microsoft for Microsoft.

Rmplstlskn
03-05-11, 09:23
Norton Internet Security is not the bloated hog it used to be and it always scores top 5 in the tests, often top 3. I wait for a sale & rebate and usually get the 3 PC version for about $30.

But that is only one layer of protection...

My on-demand scanners fill the voids:
Malwarebytes
SuperAntiSpyware

But the BIGGEST PROTECTION is your MIND (intelligence)...

Be aware of what you do, don't click on stuff you do not know is 100% legit, beware emails, know how to close a pop-up window without clicking on it (Task Manager)...

If you go to the DARK SIDE of the net, install Ubuntu Linux as a dual-boot operating system and use Linux as your dark side browser...

Rmpl

JStor
03-05-11, 10:30
We've got Bit Defender on our PC. So far we've been happy with it, unlike the McAfee and Norton we've tried in the past.

bp7178
03-05-11, 14:36
I would never pay for anti virus software. There are plenty of good free ones. Avast, AVG Free, MS et al.

Anti-virus software is like getting a flu shot. It only protects you from known threats. You can still get sick, just not from any of the "known" viruses.

RD62
03-05-11, 15:10
I like and have had really good success with Kaspersky.

Preferred User
03-05-11, 17:56
MS Security Essentials + Spyware Blaster + SpyBot + Firefox with NoScript, AdBlock Plus and BetterPrivacy. Chrome with AdBlock, NotScripts and FlashBlock is also a good choice.

citizensoldier16
03-06-11, 01:59
Be aware of what you do, don't click on stuff you do not know is 100% legit, beware emails, know how to close a pop-up window without clicking on it (Task Manager)...

Also, if an unwanted pop-up does rear its ugly head, you can force-close the window on top (the pop-up) by holding ALT and tapping F4. This closes the window and blocks anything from being inadvertently installed if it's one of those pop-ups where even clicking the X does something. Just a little tip from my computer savvy friend.

It's also handy at work...if you need to close a browser fast :D

As far as AV/AS programs that I use, I always use Google Chrome as my default browser and I update it frequently. It keeps out a lot of the bad stuff. I also have my computer set to update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware every weekend at about 4am.

I did get one virus once a few months ago...something that looked like Windows Defender but it kept popping up saying "new virus found....new virus found" I Googled the program and found a way to delete it and fix my registry. After I did that I ran Malwarebytes in full scan mode and it cleaned it right up.

graffex
03-06-11, 12:18
Avira is the best free one out there, it's what I use. AVG misses a lot of stuff and takes up more resources.

http://www.avira.com/

If I where gonna pay I'd get there pay version too, but it isn't necessary IMO. Coupled with Firefox and some common sense I've never had any virus issues what so ever.

MSP "Sarge"
03-06-11, 14:57
Guys thanks for the suggestions. I'm not good at the computer so thanks again for the help.

Gary

Jer
03-07-11, 01:35
AVG Free used to be where it was at until it got bloated. Then Avast was it but it too got a little bit of a larger footprint. If you are running a registered copy of Windows just install/run MSE as it has a small footprint so it will go easy on your resources and it does a great job on virus definitions. One suggestion is to disabled the nightly scans as it serves only to put excess and unnecessary miles on your HDDs. If you feel you need to you can run a scan every month or so but I rarely run scans. Install and use Firefox and do some research on add-ons because there are several you will want to use to protect yourself from viruses and spyware/malware. Do NOT use Internet Explorer at all... ever other than updates as necessary. Windows will tell you when you need an update. Keep your OS updated for security gaps and with these tips you too should be able to run machines for years w/o incident. I make my money on those who don't take these tips.

Jer
03-07-11, 01:38
...I almost forgot. Tell EVERYONE you know to remove you from their email forward list. Everyone who knows me knows that nothing with fw: in the subject line will ever find my inbox. People who pass around these forwards are also the people who get a virus and have 'no idea how it could have happened'

kwelz
03-07-11, 09:55
OSX :neo:

If I am running windows for anything I use AVG however.

HES
03-07-11, 14:01
Wasn't everyone a big fan of ESET the other year? That is what I'm using. I used to use AVG but it became a damned resource hog.

Preferred User
03-07-11, 23:36
ESET was and is a very good program. If you are diligent and use a combination of anti-malware programs and a hardened browser and keep your system patched some of the free programs work just fine. If you are a set it and forget it kind of computer user you probably need a modern paid security suite (and pay every year to keep it current).

That said I saw ESET for $29 on Newegg earlier in the week and you can find Norton 360 for as low as $19 for the three computer version if you keep your eyes peeled.

sl4mdaddy
03-08-11, 06:44
Been using AVG for years without issue. The main thing to keep in mind, technology wise, is 'defense-in-depth'. A/V alone doesn't cut it, using anti-spyware/ad-ware and similar programs is pretty much a must any more. Becoming familiar with some of the clean-up/removal tools can be beneficial as well. Never know...

Oh...keep them updated as well.

variablebinary
03-08-11, 07:02
Been using AVG for like 8 years. Never an issue. I also use Google Chrome for a browser.

kartoffel
03-08-11, 11:51
Quit using Windows. Engage brain before clicking.

The people who screw up their computers are the same folks who have no idea why it's a bad idea to post personal information all over Facebook.

HES
03-09-11, 13:17
ESET was and is a very good program. If you are diligent and use a combination of anti-malware programs and a hardened browser and keep your system patched some of the free programs work just fine. If you are a set it and forget it kind of computer user you probably need a modern paid security suite (and pay every year to keep it current).
Since all of my business data is on this computer I do have a piad subscription.

Quit using Windows.
Now that AutoDesk has made a version of AutoCAD for the Mac I am seriously considering do just that.