PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint T-1 & ADM Mount Test

ucrt
03-05-11, 00:20

I don’t know if this has any interest but I have seen some discussion on QD mounts ability to repeat POA and POI. I have been wanting to test the repeatability of my American Defense Base for my Aimpoint T-1 at 100-yards.

I did a similar test to this one, 8 or 9 months ago where I shot at one 50-yard Target. I shot 5-shots, remove this same RDS setup, tap it on the bench, remounted it, and repeated unmounting/tapping/remounting/5-shots until I shot 20-shots. That was 3 unmount/remounts for a 20-round 1.75" group. I thought that was good but I figured 100-yards would be a better test...
but...
I probably picked a crummy day to do this test but sometimes you just have to take what is available. Oh well…

My job is less than 2-miles from the gun range and our weather station indicated the wind to be 12-18 MPH average with 40-MPH gusts…Heck, I went anyway.

Background Info
- Aimpoint T-1 on ADM QD Mount w/ Hensoldt 2X Magnifier on a Burris XTR Mount.
. NOTE: The Hensoldt is a Cold War relic Tank Sight that LaRue has modified. It works very well, especially for the $60 I paid for it.
- Used a front tripod and rear sandbags on a heavy wooden bench.
- The Targets were placed at 100-yards
- The Target is one that I make with a 7” black bullseye. 7” is perfect for a T-1 at a 100-yards.
- I had 6 Targets set up and shot 10-shots at each Target.
- The 10-shots at each target were fired in less than 60-seconds
- PMC Bronze 55g Ammo
- RECCE 16” Chrome-Lined barrel with 1-7” twist.
- Barrel has not been cleaned in 2000+ rounds.
- Round count for this test were rounds #2062 to #2122.
- The barrel was cooled between each set of 10-shots. One good thing about the high winds...cooled the barrel pretty fast.
- The wind was 90 degrees left to right with 12-18 MPH average with 40-MPH gusts.
- I tried my best to shoot in between the gusts-fairly successful??

My Rifle and Sight Setup for the Test:
Aimpoint T-1 on an ADM QD Mount w/ a Hensoldt 2X Magnifier on a Burris XTR Mount

http://i52.tinypic.com/2iu29n9.jpg

Modifications
One note, I like the ADM Mount BUT sometimes when you adjust it, if you feel you need to go one more “flat” tighter, it feels like you’ll break the lever if you try and close it. So, I experimented with different O-Rings under the screw head to give a little springiness to the clamping.
The best O-Ring I found was a soft Buna 1/16” wide X 7/16” OD X 5/16” ID. I have had the O-Ring that I used during this test installed for about 6-7 months and probably have unmounted/remounted my RDS about 60+ times. This O-Ring idea works and holds up really well.
If you use an O-Ring, you have to be careful the flats of the screw are lined up with the flats of the hole or you can booger both of them up.

The O-Ring Setup:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2556syo.jpg

Real-Life
To induce a little real life into the test, while the T-1/ADM was removed, I knocked it around some. This was the procedure I followed:
After each set of 10-shots, I installed the T-1’s rubber “bra” lens caps, removed RDS, drop the RDS on the wooden benchtop from 7”, tapped the RDS on the benchtop on all six-sides, re-installed the RDS with finger pressure forcing RDS forward in slot, allowed the barrel to cool, fired 10-shots at the next target and the repeated the process.

Extreme spreads were:
Target 1 – 2.8”
Target 2 – 4.3”
Target 3 –4.3”
Target 4 – 4.4”
Target 5 – 4.4”
Target 6 – 2.9”

The Targets:
Target has a 7” black bullseye

http://i56.tinypic.com/2lbe635.jpg

Analyzing
Using drafting software I have at the Plant, I did, what I’m sure will be considered a weak imitation of “Molon”, try to analyze the groups. Not any sophisticated charts or computers or anything, just a stab at analyzing the info. I didn’t have time to figure the “mean radius” of each group but I did figure out the each target’s group center and plotted them out on a separate target.

Group Centers for all Six Targets:
Group Centers Extreme Spread was 1.7"

http://i55.tinypic.com/30iw51c.jpg

Summary:
What does all of this indicate…well, to me, the ADM seems to be pretty good at repeating the POA and POI. Overall, I would guess that all 60-shots had a 6" grouping. The "extreme spread" of the six Target's group centers was 1.7”.

Feel free to give me your thoughts, ideas, experiences, etc.

If I get a chance later this month, I’ll try and repeat the test with a clean barrel, better ammo, and hopefully, no wind.

Considering the negatives; wind, dirty barrel, cheap ammo, and probably my shooting, it seems like the ADM is very repeatable.

But maybe it's just me...

cjt50
03-05-11, 15:00
Enjoyed you write up, thanks for sharing.

Question: With the O-ring installed, when you lock the clamping lever, does the adjustment screw flats engage the mount flats?

HeavyDuty
03-05-11, 18:46
Interesting idea with the O ring! I may experiment with something similar using a thin neoprene washer.

ucrt
03-05-11, 19:21
Enjoyed you write up, thanks for sharing.

Question: With the O-ring installed, when you lock the clamping lever, does the adjustment screw flats engage the mount flats?

======================================

The Adjustment Screw does engage the Flats in the mount but not 100%. I took a couple of pictures to show how deep it does engage.
You can see that the O-Ring does "flow" around the screw head and I imagine it will eventually tear or something but it has held up much better than I expected. I'll probably change it when my T-1 gets a new battery in May.

It would be neat if ADM would make the hole a little deeper and maybe cut a recess into the screw head to hold the O-Ring. I called them a few weeks ago to tell them about the latch being too hard or not hard enough and about my O-Ring fix. Must have caught them on a bad day because they were kind of "short" with me, saying, "No one has ever complained about that before..." But it was probably me.....maybe they didn't understand my Louisiana English... :) Oh well....

Shots of the Screw Head

http://i51.tinypic.com/34smdfs.jpg

CJT, Does this answer your question?

ucrt
03-05-11, 21:12
Interesting idea with the O ring! I may experiment with something similar using a thin neoprene washer.

============================

HD,
I tried several different O-Rings; Viton, Buna-N, Buna, and one called Soft Buna. Don't know if there is really much different between the Buna's but the Soft Buna was a big improvement.

The harder O-Rings didn't give the Lever much flex when clamping down. I think the softer O-Ring gives it a better feel and it seems to be repeatable.

I tried to find a silicon O-Ring but didn't find any in the right size.

cjt50
03-07-11, 17:07
======================================

The Adjustment Screw does engage the Flats in the mount but not 100%. I took a couple of pictures to show how deep it does engage.
You can see that the O-Ring does "flow" around the screw head and I imagine it will eventually tear or something but it has held up much better than I expected. I'll probably change it when my T-1 gets a new battery in May.

It would be neat if ADM would make the hole a little deeper and maybe cut a recess into the screw head to hold the O-Ring. I called them a few weeks ago to tell them about the latch being too hard or not hard enough and about my O-Ring fix. Must have caught them on a bad day because they were kind of "short" with me, saying, "No one has ever complained about that before..." But it was probably me.....maybe they didn't understand my Louisiana English... :) Oh well....

Shots of the Screw Head

http://i51.tinypic.com/34smdfs.jpg

CJT, Does this answer your question?

It does, your pictures show what I needed to know. Off to the hardware store.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

markm
03-07-11, 17:18
You know that Cuckoo LaRue will want to kill you for this research. :sarcastic:

And clean that friggin bolt carrier! HOLY SMOKES, Jethro! :eek:

Belmont31R
03-07-11, 17:24
You know that Cuckoo LaRue will want to kill you for this research. :sarcastic:

Eh I just ordered my first ADM mount because LaRue doesn't make anything that works for my particular needs, and the only other two options were $380 and $500.

Ill be doing a similar test....;)

ucrt
03-07-11, 18:34

=========================

Whatda ya' mean, I just cleaned it??...you shoulda seen it when it was dirty.
Not really, actually, I am going to 2500 rounds with only oiling it every 400-500 rounds. Got about 380 to go but it is about time for a drop or two.

Cuckoo LaRue?? Where'd he get that nickname?

variablebinary
03-07-11, 22:08

Just spend some time on ARFCOM and read Mark Larue's musings. They are pretty nutty for sure.

I like my T1 and ADM combo

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/m4t1.jpg

markm
03-08-11, 17:49

He's just a nutjob. I think the ****ball got me kicked off of barf for using his exact words against him and his fanboys.

I never even started shit with the whacko. I don't even run Red dots so I had no dog in the fight... he started his bi polar shit with me.

I was thinking of ordering some rail clips from the lunatic just to get a hat and some dill hole dust. :D

opmike
03-08-11, 18:39
I've had to the displeasure of reading his ravings online. I try to keep a man separate from his product, but his bullshit is nearing my threshold.

And to stay on topic, I'll will have to give this washer idea a try. I have no issues with the relatively tight ADM levers, but I'll give it a shot just for the hell of it.