PDA

View Full Version : Practical/Tactical

RONK
03-05-11, 12:40
I'm looking for suggestions on a multi use AR,for defense,hunting and 3-Gun a Practical/Tactical rifle.At first I thought a Colt MT6400C would be right and while a fine rifle it's not as versatile as I want.I also thought about an Armalite AR-10 and passed on that thought.I would consider two rifles,both a 5.56 and a 6.8.What would you suggest I look for in an all around rifle?Are there any manufactures building a ready to go rifle or would one have to be built?Thank you all again for your time and patience.
RONK

philipeggo
03-05-11, 12:52
I'm looking for suggestions on a multi use AR,for defense,hunting and 3-Gun a Practical/Tactical rifle.At first I thought a Colt MT6400C would be right and while a fine rifle it's not as versatile as I want.I also thought about an Armalite AR-10 and passed on that thought.I would consider two rifles,both a 5.56 and a 6.8.What would you suggest I look for in an all around rifle?Are there any manufactures building a ready to go rifle or would one have to be built?Thank you all again for your time and patience.
RONK

Hey bud being as im new here too ill let you know that the stickys at the top of the pages are full of info. The orange search button is also pretty helpful. There a many manufacturers that are highly regarded around here , whether you want to buy a rifle or assemble it your self is up to you. Im doing the latter. 6.8 is pretty expensive ammo 5.56 is much cheaper including the mags and spare parts. In the end you want to ask yourself what you want to do with this, a gun set up for competition is prob not gonna be the best for HD and vice versa. You can certainly use it as such its just not the same set up.

maximus83
03-05-11, 12:57
A few good builders I've seen other 6.8 buyers on this forum recommend: LMT, Noveske, AR15performance.com.

As for configuration of the rifle, if this is an all-purpose rifle in 6.8, you shouldn't need to go longer than a 16" barrel. The 6.8 does well ballistically out of shorter barrels and going longer won't gain you much. Also, you have a good idea of setting up 2 rifles: one in 6.8, and a similar config in 5.56 for affordable training. Given the cost of quality 7.62 rifles these days, you could nearly set up your 2 rifles in 6.8 and 5.56 for the cost of ONE rifle in 7.62.

philipeggo
03-05-11, 13:00
oh i didn't read where you said TWO rifles it sounded like you were considering two not that you wanted to set two up. My apologies.

RONK
03-05-11, 13:17
oh i didn't read where you said TWO rifles it sounded like you were considering two not that you wanted to set two up. My apologies.

Sir,none necessary,I appreciate everyones help.I'm looking for the Glock 34 of AR's.I've been reading good things about AR15performance,thanks.

Ron