PDA

View Full Version : From a Glock novice...

Slater
09-16-07, 11:24
With an eye toward a future purchase of a Glock, I examined several models and settled on the G17 (in 9mm). Now to save up the cash...

Lately I've been reading about certain Glock models having Kabooms in LE service, although these seem to be in calibers other than 9mm.

I've been told "buy the G17 in confidence - it's a proven winner". From a novice to the experts herein; Any reason to be concerned about the G17's safety/reliability? I understand the new ones are Generation 3 (or something like that) with an accessory rail.

dwhitehorne
09-16-07, 14:32
FNG to this site. I have owned a few Glocks over the years and just bought another second generation G22. I consider myself a 1911 fan but one has to admit, a box stock G17 is one of the most reliable guns you can buy. David

Looey
09-16-07, 16:35
You have a winner with a G17, i have one with well over 25000 rounds thru it.
I think that the only thing i would change right of the bat is the sight for a good set of night sights.
hope you enjoy it.

M4arc
09-16-07, 18:13
You can't go wrong with any Glock in 9mm.

jackinfl
09-16-07, 19:26
Slater,
You can not go wrong with a 17. I stake my life on 2 of them everyday. Looey is right get the Noght sights. I like and recommend Trijicon. They can be had directly from GLock like that, if you are willing to wait and your dealer will order it. But if not buy the one they have and have the dealer put them on.

I have the extended mag release, really the 45 frame mag release, shaved down a bit and dehorned. But I have heard good things about the Vickers/Tango down mag release.

Do not shoot reloads and have fun. Read the manual and oil it where it says to and no where else.
Best of luck. You are on the right site these guys on here are good and share their experiences/expertise.

Jack

rob_s
09-16-07, 20:28
I bought my girlfriend a G19 recently for a class she's taking in November. I shot a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it worked for her, and I really remembered why I liked the Glocks before I changed over to 1911s a few years ago.

You really can't go wrong with any Glock in 9mm, and even though I've already added well over $100 worth of widgets to the GF's gun, it really is more than serviceable right out of the box.

Stainless
09-20-07, 16:11
If you are interested in the G17, please, take a look at the G34.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/Hand/Glock34.jpg

If you want a full size 9mm, the G34 is full size, but STILL smaller and lighter than a 1911 or a beretta.

Model Barrel Overall Length Weight
Colt 1911 5.0" 8.5" 38 oz.
Browning HP 4.75" 7.75" 32 oz.
Beretta 92F 4.9" 8.5" 34 oz.
Glock 34 5.3" 8.15" 23 oz.
Glock 17 4.49" 7.32" 22 oz.

You also get a factory extended mag release, extended slide release, and adjustable sights, AND you can order it with night sights.

PLUS, you can fit a weapon light under the barrel without having any of the light stick out PAST the barrel. If you are going to accept the additional length added by a light, you might as well have extra barrel length, for extra velocity AND sight radius.

I borrowed this pic from USMC in the glock pic thread, and it shows my point about the light. I only have one thing to say about this: WANT!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/USMC/Pistol/G35a.jpg

And it is STILL shorter than a 1911.

Evan_O
09-26-07, 03:38
Change the recoil spring and trigger spring every 5,000 and you will never have a problem with a 9mm Glock.

Evan_O
09-26-07, 03:39
Stainless,
Do you have any personal experience with the G34 sir? If so please share your opinion between the G34 and the G17.

Obiwan
09-26-07, 19:45
I have owned a G34, a G35 and still own a G17

So you can see what I prefer

I am not a fan of extended slide locks or mag releases (changed them) and the extra length just didn't do it for me

More choices for holsters, etc with the 17

Can't go wrong either way

Striker5
09-27-07, 07:34
I love my 17. I shipped mine to Bowie Tactical to have the grip cut to G19 specs and had Ameriglo night sights installed (they use trijicaon lamps and only have the white circle around the front lamp). I also have the Vickers/TD extended mag release which is the most useful 15 bucks you'll ever spend.

You are on the right track. The 17 just runs and runs and runs and is cheap to feed. Good luck!