PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine help, bolt

Timco
03-05-11, 14:31
I rebuilt my bolt, flat top older style with a kit from Orion 7. New extractor, spring, and plunger. First range trip was great but the extractor popped out today after 3 rounds. Found all the parts. Time for a new bolt? Any thoughts? 1943 vintage, QHC receiver, Underwood barrel.

Thanks!

Heavy Metal
03-05-11, 15:16
The detent dimple in the extractor retains the spring via the plunger. It may need to be drilled a bit deeper. The bolt does not retain the extractor.

Timco
03-05-11, 16:52
The detent dimple in the extractor retains the spring via the plunger. It may need to be drilled a bit deeper. The bolt does not retain the extractor.

Thanks. Should have worded this different. Thought bolt because all other parts new. Will examine extractor better tonight. I have the bolt tool so it's easy.

spdldr
03-05-11, 20:48
There is a tiny flat on the side of the conical point of the extractor spring plunger. That flat needs to be down so that it bears upon the corresponding flat that faces up on the extractor. Otherwise the extractor is just detented by the plunger, not positively held.

Timco
03-05-11, 20:53
There is a tiny flat on the side of the conical point of the extractor spring plunger. That flat needs to be down so that it bears upon the corresponding flat that faces up on the extractor. Otherwise the extractor is just detented by the plunger, not positively held.

Thanks for the advise. My plunger is perfectly round. Can I dremel a flat spot?

darr3239
03-05-11, 21:12
What was wrong with the original bolt, leading to the rebuild?

Timco
03-05-11, 21:32
What was wrong with the original bolt, leading to the rebuild?

Brought it home, got it to the range, extractor popped out after 2 rounds. First range trip. Bought the Orion rebuild kit. Turns out the plunger is perfectly round, no flat spot.

spdldr
03-05-11, 22:23
Thanks for the advise. My plunger is perfectly round. Can I dremel a flat spot?

It can be done, but you will need to know how it should look first. Also, a small file would be a much better tool. I suggest getting a non-defective plunger somewhere, perhaps at a gun show. They are very inexpensive.

The earliest extractors had only a sloping surface for a non-flat spot plunger that did act only as a detent. They are collectors items. They were redesigned, as they popped out when firing just like yours.