PDA

View Full Version : Heart of any build, the barrel...

IPSC_GUY
03-05-11, 18:01
I was asked by a guy who is building his first AR about Barrels. He is on a serious budget and this is going to take him at least 3 or more months to come up with the cash to build a rifle.

I told him the first thing to buy was a barrel and bolt and these two items should not be skimped upon in fact he should buy something really good. I was going to suggest the following as possible choices.

1. Daniels Defense Hammer forged 16 inch mid length.

2. Centurion Arms 16"inch mid length, light weight

In Stainless

3. White Oak Armament 16" .223 Barrel

And something like a BCM MPI bolt to start. Anyone think of anything better?

I figure the rest can be things like a Mckay lower (very nice) and maybe a blem LAR upper and a good lower parts kit with whatever can be found inexpensively for a stock, forend and the rest of the small parts.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Col_Crocs
03-05-11, 23:40
What does he plan on doing with it? Unless he's doing a prcision build, a CLed CMV barrel would be more practical.
The CA barrel is definitely top notch but seeing he's on a tight budget and this being his first AR, does he really need something that highend and heavily specd? how about a BCM standard 16 middy upper for $399 instead?

IPSC_GUY
03-06-11, 01:05
What does he plan on doing with it? Unless he's doing a prcision build, a CLed CMV barrel would be more practical.
The CA barrel is definitely top notch but seeing he's on a tight budget and this being his first AR, does he really need something that highend and heavily specd? how about a BCM standard 16 middy upper for $399 instead?

Ohhh Sorry this is going to be for a multi purpose rifle that is going to be used in 3 gun as well as hunting and general plinking. The barrel is going to need to last a while as his budget has to next afford a shotgun that is going to last 10s of thousands or rounds as well.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Col_Crocs
03-06-11, 01:47
The standard bcm barrel has been reported to have survived 40+ thougsand rounds and reliably run without any cleaning. Search for filthy 14 for more accurate details on that particular weapon.
I was thinking more along the lines ofthis being his first build, just to get inducted into the AR world, leading to more builds down the road. Looks like he has a pretty clear plan, in which case, the Centurion would be a good choice IMHO...

Toyoland66
03-06-11, 11:14
Perhaps he or you already have them....but dont forget about the tools required to assemble an upper:

Torque wrench, vise, vise blocks, barrel wrench, etc.

If those tools aren't already available it is probably more cost effective to buy a complete upper.

Also account for smaller parts such as gas tube, barrel nut, delta ring assembly, forend cap, etc if you plan on using standard handguards. You also need to buy a flash hider/ comp if you are buying a stripped barrel.

TehLlama
03-06-11, 14:14
For a single rifle, it's usually more affordable to buy a complete upper built to your specs - after a few the tools start to cost less, but the pricing on a lot of the DD and BCM uppers, it's hard not to go with those.

The CA would be an excellent choice too, but on a tight budget, I'd only consider that justified if higher round count is a certainty, and you still want a precision rifle.

IPSC_GUY
03-06-11, 16:19
The standard bcm barrel has been reported to have survived 40+ thougsand rounds and reliably run without any cleaning. Search for filthy 14 for more accurate details on that particular weapon.
I was thinking more along the lines ofthis being his first build, just to get inducted into the AR world, leading to more builds down the road. Looks like he has a pretty clear plan, in which case, the Centurion would be a good choice IMHO...

I was not aware of that thanks for the tip I will do some reading. With a somewhat limited income I doubt there are going to be toooo many more AR builds in the near future with the rest of the gear and ammo needed so we wanna do this one REALLY right.

Perhaps he or you already have them....but don't forget about the tools required to assemble an upper:

Torque wrench, vise, vise blocks, barrel wrench, etc.

If those tools aren't already available it is probably more cost effective to buy a complete upper.

Also account for smaller parts such as gas tube, barrel nut, delta ring assembly, forend cap, etc if you plan on using standard handguards. You also need to buy a flash hider/ comp if you are buying a stripped barrel.

Ahhh yes, got all the tools PLUS some. Small parts I have laying around to help with this project. I am what Wives and Girlfriends refer to with much disdain is "an enabler."

For a single rifle, it's usually more affordable to buy a complete upper built to your specs - after a few the tools start to cost less, but the pricing on a lot of the DD and BCM uppers, it's hard not to go with those.

The CA would be an excellent choice too, but on a tight budget, I'd only consider that justified if higher round count is a certainty, and you still want a precision rifle.

Ohh High round count will be a certainty. Hell I am guessing the REAL cost of this down the road will be the ammo not the rifle in reality.

Thanks for the insights,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA