PDA

View Full Version : Video of the SF 556K-B

C4IGrant
09-16-07, 17:24
People always ask how loud is an AR when it is suppressed. So I thought I would take a little video of me shooting the SureFire 556K-B at a target over 300yds away.

In the last video, the camera is actually about 15ft in front of the muzzle so you are actually hearing the bullet fly overhead.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/Target%20hit.wmv

vinesr6
09-16-07, 18:50
Very nice! Now is that your back yard....;) ?

C4IGrant
09-16-07, 19:02
Very nice! Now is that your back yard....;) ?

Thanks. Yes, it my backyard.

C4

SuicideHz
09-18-07, 22:52
Wow that's nice.

You need to fire off a few through different suppressors now- I'd like to hear the G5. Some other "testers" of suppressors don't seem to really give you a good feeling for the sound in their videos. The videos seem muted to show off the suppressor's stealthiness.

I like how I can hear your safety click off and the carrier slam forward for comparison.

C4IGrant
09-19-07, 08:05
Wow that's nice.

You need to fire off a few through different suppressors now- I'd like to hear the G5. Some other "testers" of suppressors don't seem to really give you a good feeling for the sound in their videos. The videos seem muted to show off the suppressor's stealthiness.

I like how I can hear your safety click off and the carrier slam forward for comparison.

I hope to do some more vids of different cans in the future.

I have spent about 150rds with a G5. It was not as quiet as the SF can IMHO. This is not a fair comparison though as I did not get to shoot them side by side.

No sound was altered in the vids that I did. The SF can on an 18" SPR is really that quiet!

C4

markm
09-19-07, 09:11
Sounds good.

tiger seven
09-19-07, 09:27
That's pretty impressive. I'm so used to seeing suppressors on SBRs nowadays I sometimes forget how quiet they can actually be on a full-size rifle.

I look forward to seeing more videos like this, as a suppressor is on my short list of things to get. My main problem is that there are so many options it can get a bit overwhelming, and I can only really afford one so I need to make sure I get the "right can for me."

Nice work, Grant. Nice backyard, too. :)

Derek

C4IGrant
09-19-07, 09:39
That's pretty impressive. I'm so used to seeing suppressors on SBRs nowadays I sometimes forget how quiet they can actually be on a full-size rifle.

I look forward to seeing more videos like this, as a suppressor is on my short list of things to get. My main problem is that there are so many options it can get a bit overwhelming, and I can only really afford one so I need to make sure I get the "right can for me."

Nice work, Grant. Nice backyard, too. :)

Derek

I agree that there are a lot of options out there for cans. Try and decide what is most important to you (quietness, zero poi shift, QD, FA rated, quality of the company and their ability to stand behind the product).

I have used a good number of cans and the SF 556K-B is my favorite. Its lack of POI shift, attachment system, size, weight, FA rated and company behind it were all key reasons why I shoot and stock them.

C4

Seth Harness
09-19-07, 21:00
People always ask how loud is an AR when it is suppressed. So I thought I would take a little video of me shooting the SureFire 556K-B at a target over 300yds away.

In the last video, the camera is actually about 15ft in front of the muzzle so you are actually hearing the bullet fly overhead.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/Target%20hit.wmv

Being a resident of a boring state, suppressors are blood thirsty contraband... I like it!
Needless to say I have ZERO experiece with them.:confused:
Grant if your taking requests, could you shoot some sub-sonic ammo?
If your not taking requests I'll just have to speculate. :D

SuicideHz
09-19-07, 21:28
Subsonic in an AR shouldn't make any noise. But then it won't cycle.

I would imagine it would make the same amount of noise as the first shot or two where you can still hear the carrier slam forward.

That's about how my suppressed 10" 9mm sounds. You really do hear the carrier when you put very light loads through it.

Some of mine are so light though that you have to make sure the bullet left the barrel- literally. But I've found the point at which that doesn't happen and I stay above that load now.

C4IGrant
09-19-07, 21:29
Being a resident of a boring state, suppressors are blood thirsty contraband... I like it!
Needless to say I have ZERO experiece with them.:confused:
Grant if your taking requests, could you shoot some sub-sonic ammo?
If your not taking requests I'll just have to speculate. :D

Funny you should say that. I am working with a local ammo maufacturer to make up some sub-sonic 223.

As we all know, sub-sonic 223 will not cycle and AR. What if there was a barrel setup just for 223 sub's and it DID cycle??? ;)

C4

SHIVAN
09-20-07, 11:29
If the special "subsonic upper" worked just as well with full power 5.56, I think it would be an absolute winner.

C4IGrant
09-20-07, 11:32
If the special "subsonic upper" worked just as well with full power 5.56, I think it would be an absolute winner.

That is what I am thinking. If we can get a subsonic 300 whisper to run well (which we can) then we should be able to do the same with the .223.

I am also going to see if I can get the price down on subsonic .223 which would make shooting it a little easier.

C4

Fireguy275
09-25-07, 21:27
Grant: a little off topic, but do you know if Surefire's short muzzle break will accept a Gemtech Halo?

C4IGrant
09-26-07, 07:46
Grant: a little off topic, but do you know if Surefire's short muzzle break will accept a Gemtech Halo?

I have not tried it, but I would say no.

C4

JLM
09-30-07, 03:38
Grant, how about showing us how it sounds on a 10.5" LMT? :D

AR15barrels
09-30-07, 04:26
If we can get a subsonic 300 whisper to run well (which we can) then we should be able to do the same with the .223.

Pistol length gas system.
Adjust the gas port size as necessary.
HEAVY bullets in the subsonic loads will create additional dwell time to help it run on less pressure, but more dwell time.
Lighter and faster bullets will have less dwell time, but higher pressure.

The key is finding the balance that works.
Otherwise, go with an adjustable gas system.

C4IGrant
09-30-07, 09:56
Grant, how about showing us how it sounds on a 10.5" LMT? :D

Will do.

C4

Derek_Connor
09-30-07, 11:39
Im excited about surefire's new suppressor page. Especially their 6.8 offerings...

They might charge top dollar, but im willing to pay that to avoid other companies..

Also that they now have a lifetime warranty on their suppressors..also a good thing

gunrunnerusmc03
09-30-07, 19:09
That is what I am thinking. If we can get a subsonic 300 whisper to run well (which we can) then we should be able to do the same with the .223.

I am also going to see if I can get the price down on subsonic .223 which would make shooting it a little easier.

C4

are you going to work out some heavy bullet load so its not a expensive 22lr ;)

C4IGrant
10-01-07, 08:09
are you going to work out some heavy bullet load so its not a expensive 22lr ;)

Possibly. Initially, we will work with some 77gr MK's I think.

C4

JLM
10-03-07, 01:21
Will do.

C4

Outstanding, and Thank You Sir!

Shadow6
10-03-07, 09:23
Funny you should say that. I am working with a local ammo maufacturer to make up some sub-sonic 223.

As we all know, sub-sonic 223 will not cycle and AR. What if there was a barrel setup just for 223 sub's and it DID cycle??? ;)

C4

The only subs I've come across that will actually cycle is Extreme Shock's Silent Warrior.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=7&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=92468.7836

I was able to acquire a couple of boxes and they cycled just fine through my 11.5" POF w/ can. Did experience FRP, but after that, db levels were considerably reduced. I just wouldn't spend the amount that ES is asking for a 20 rd box.

C4 - Thanks for sharing the video. Looking forward to what you come up with in regards to the subs.

-Doc

Snake
10-03-07, 09:39
I will not touch extreme shock with a 5 mile long pole.

Shadow6
10-03-07, 10:12
I will not touch extreme shock with a 5 mile long pole.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I can see where you're coming from with that statement...to a certain point. Some of the claims that ES makes are a bit of a stretch (according to some reviewers), especially with their "Enhanced Penetration" and fragmenting rounds (refer to Box O' Truth and other test reviews for details).

The ES subs I used worked as advertised, but as previously stated, I wouldn't pay MSRP for a box of 20 rounds (talk about steep). I was just making reference to a .223 sub that would actually cycle through the platform...not pushing the ES product.

Just thought I'd clarify.

-Doc

gunrunnerusmc03
10-03-07, 19:55
just for curiosity what grain bullets did ES load? I remember somewhere seeing 100 grain .224 bullets.

VA_Dinger
10-09-07, 17:02
I have an SF 556K-B planned for 2008.

I just need to finish up my AK projects and the "Special AR".

Snake
10-09-07, 17:35
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I can see where you're coming from with that statement...to a certain point. Some of the claims that ES makes are a bit of a stretch (according to some reviewers), especially with their "Enhanced Penetration" and fragmenting rounds (refer to Box O' Truth and other test reviews for details).

The ES subs I used worked as advertised, but as previously stated, I wouldn't pay MSRP for a box of 20 rounds (talk about steep). I was just making reference to a .223 sub that would actually cycle through the platform...not pushing the ES product.

Just thought I'd clarify.

-Doc

Shadow, I meant no disrespect.

Cyrus

Shadow6
10-09-07, 22:23
Shadow, I meant no disrespect.

Cyrus

Totally understand, brother. Likewise, didn't mean to sound like such a total dick in my previous post (at least that's the way I think I came across in response to your post after reading it again...and for that, I apologize). Peace.

-Doc

Shadow6
10-09-07, 22:27
just for curiosity what grain bullets did ES load? I remember somewhere seeing 100 grain .224 bullets.

100 gr 5.56

-Doc