PDA

View Full Version : Hot Barrel=Better Accuracy?

BitterOblivion
03-05-11, 22:02
So I own a DD M4V2, since I bought it I've only ever had tight groups after about 7 rounds. For awhile I thought it was me getting warmed up and thus, more accurate. I bought an Aimpoint PRO recently and still I don't get even halfway decent groupings until after about 7-10 rounds.
I'm shooting some South African 55 gr 5.56, could this light load have something to do with it?

ZRH
03-05-11, 22:21
Heat causes expansion, can also make internal stresses manifest. Short answer is that it isn't "more accurate" it just has a different point of impact relative to however you sighted it in.

I'm not sure what kind of barrel that is exactly but lightweight profiles will have a more dramatic differences since they heat faster and cool faster.

Not to nitpick but, what is decent group?

MistWolf
03-05-11, 22:23
Every barrel and every rifle is a law unto itself. Some barrels won't give their best accuracy unless they are cleaned and allowed to cool between every shot. Some won't shoot good until the bore is fouled. Some won't shoot good until they heat up a bit. Some won't shoot good until you stroke them 3 times while whispering "my precious.."

When you shoot those 7-10 rounds, is it always from a clean bore? Or, if you set it aside and let it cool completely, without cleaning it, does it need 7-10 shots again to start shooting good?

It could be your bore just needs a few fouling shots to settle in

bryan1211
03-05-11, 22:24
South African 55 gr 5.56? I would try some heavier gr bullets... you have a 1/7 twist barrel!

BitterOblivion
03-05-11, 22:28
Yeah, I've pretty much always cleaned it between shootings and I really didnt get the sight dialed in until the barrel was hot too. thanks ya'll!

BitterOblivion
03-05-11, 22:45
South African 55 gr 5.56? I would try some heavier gr bullets... you have a 1/7 twist barrel!

Yeahhhhh, I was given a crap load of 55 gr, so I wanted to shoot it up before I bought anything else. I didnt think it'd affect my accuracy so much at < 100 yards.

bryan1211
03-05-11, 23:39
Yeahhhhh, I was given a crap load of 55 gr, so I wanted to shoot it up before I bought anything else. I didnt think it'd affect my accuracy so much at < 100 yards.

Your probably right, though wouldn't hurt to try if you haven't. Nothing better then to be "given" ammo nice!

Kuiper
03-06-11, 02:26
Shooting a heavier projectile will not increase your accuracy automatically. Inconsistencies in the loads between round can cause different POI too, combined with the heating of the barrel... (and all variables that make barrels behave the way they do ;))

Even so, given ammo is the best ammo if it serves its purpose. If you wish to test your best accuracy I would suggest using either quality handloads of factory matchgrade ammo.

Good luck

Cesiumsponge
03-06-11, 04:42
Out of curiosity, is this the M4V2 with the lightweight barrel or the normal barrel?

TehLlama
03-06-11, 14:20
Every barrel and every rifle is a law unto itself. Some barrels won't give their best accuracy unless they are cleaned and allowed to cool between every shot. Some won't shoot good until the bore is fouled. Some won't shoot good until they heat up a bit. Some won't shoot good until you stroke them 3 times while whispering "my precious.."

My work M16 shoots like junk freshly cleaned - foul the bore up a bit and it shoots freaking lasers, even with M855.