PDA

View Full Version : best lower on a Daniel Defense upper

SlowSrt4
03-05-11, 22:44
I have ordered a daniel defense upper from smartgunner a while back and it should be getting close to being done. I was wondering if you all had any experience with lowers that fit well and match the color with DD. I personally am very unfamiler with the quality and finish of the different manufacturers out there.

I have my eye on a stripped spikes lower. Seems to be very reasonably priced on aimsurpluse.com for $79. I would like to go with a DD lower but I can't seem to find on in stock anywhere

ForTehNguyen
03-06-11, 00:07
spikes stripped lower matches my DD upper. The newer productions of spikes lower have flare magwells too. Another spikes lower I got about 4 months ago doesnt have it flared so must be a new addition

DD stated that they have a lot of complete rifle orders so they are going to stop offering stripped lowers to favor satisfying complete rifle orders so you wont see DD stripped lowers until further notice.

SlowSrt4
03-06-11, 00:22
Thanks. Spikes it is!

fdxpilot
03-06-11, 01:14
My Smartgunner DD upper is residing on a DD lower bought and equipped to my specs by Grant at G & R Tactical. DD lowers have a really nice flared magwell. :D

PatrolRifleGroup
03-06-11, 07:43
Yeah, all things being equal, I would buy a DD lower. Nothing wrong with Spikes, I own a bunch of their stuff. I just like my stuff to match whenever possible.

SlowSrt4
03-06-11, 08:11
Yeah, all things being equal, I would buy a DD lower. Nothing wrong with Spikes, I own a bunch of their stuff. I just like my stuff to match whenever possible.

I agree. Problem is finding one in stock somewhere though

spamsammich
03-06-11, 12:48
Unless you're looking at a lower like a kac or one with a nicely flared magwell like noveske and dd, a lower is a lower provided they are built to milspec.

Atmosphere
03-06-11, 13:21

Yes, that is why I ended up with a Spikes lower with a DD lower parts kit. Close as I could come.

Czecher
03-06-11, 15:34
This is my spikes lower on a DD upper. The colors aren't a perfect match but the fit is really good. Not much play at all and the colors really aren't important to me. The upper has a more brushed/flat finish while the lower is a bit more gloss. Doesn't affect performance.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_8L6g-ZRpgK8/TXP8EI9dPhI/AAAAAAAALyM/7YgDo98cPGo/s800/DSC_0016.JPG

PatrolRifleGroup
03-06-11, 16:04

Ahh, I didn't catch that DD had ceased selling stripped lowers for the time being. Spike's it is.....

FChen17213
03-06-11, 22:22
If you really look around, I think you can find a DD lower. I am facing the same dilemma. I decided to build a middy. At first, I was going to get a BCM for sure....then I ran across a DD Middy upper deal that I just could not pass up. Thus, I am looking for a good lower also. I sort of have two thoughts.

I can either get a BCM lower which I'm sure will fit the DD Middy upper fine, or I can try and find a stripped DD lower. However, after I find a stripped DD lower, I'd still have to get a DD LPK (not that hard) and a mil-spec stock kit. I can probably get all those parts. Then I'd have to find a reputable gunsmith to assemble the lower. I'd have to find one that will properly stake the castlenut on the receiver extension etc etc.

Thus, I am definitely leaning towards just getting a BCM complete lower and saving myself all that hassle.....then again, the gun won't match. I don't know if I care that much though...it's like getting a blemished lower. It's not really that much more to get the non-blemished one (71 bucks more). However, the non-blemished one is going to get blemished after a trips to the range or just one class anyway. Decisions decisions.....

benw315
03-06-11, 22:31
Hey Chen there are several videos and some picture threads that show how to assemble a lower and stake the castle nut so you could do it yourself without much effort.

SlowSrt4
03-06-11, 22:35
Yeah blems I don't really mind. Its going to get scuffed up anyway. Fit is number one then having the finish / color matching the upper. And I really want to get a lower ordered this week so if anyone know DD stripped lowers for sale anywhere please let me know.

About buying the complete lower vs building one I would go the stripped route but I'm kinda a DIY person.

FChen17213
03-06-11, 22:41
I know I'm going to probably regret not buying this now, but here's one on gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219067772

SlowSrt4
03-06-11, 23:12
Yup sure is. $175 is a bit out of my price range! Especially when you can get a spikes for $79 plus shipping. Oh well ill get a DD lower when I start my next build next year :)

hunter123
03-07-11, 01:26
If you really look around, I think you can find a DD lower. I am facing the same dilemma. I decided to build a middy. At first, I was going to get a BCM for sure....then I ran across a DD Middy upper deal that I just could not pass up. Thus, I am looking for a good lower also. I sort of have two thoughts.

I can either get a BCM lower which I'm sure will fit the DD Middy upper fine, or I can try and find a stripped DD lower. However, after I find a stripped DD lower, I'd still have to get a DD LPK (not that hard) and a mil-spec stock kit. I can probably get all those parts. Then I'd have to find a reputable gunsmith to assemble the lower. I'd have to find one that will properly stake the castlenut on the receiver extension etc etc.

Thus, I am definitely leaning towards just getting a BCM complete lower and saving myself all that hassle.....then again, the gun won't match. I don't know if I care that much though...it's like getting a blemished lower. It's not really that much more to get the non-blemished one (71 bucks more). However, the non-blemished one is going to get blemished after a trips to the range or just one class anyway. Decisions decisions.....

The BCM Blemished lowers are one of the best deals for a complete lower.I have 2 blems and one non-blem,I can't tell a difference between any of them,they all look great.