PDA

View Full Version : Order from the manufacturer or local gun shop?

Prime Directive
03-06-11, 02:46
I was wondering which way to go? Call the manufacturer directly, place an order for a complete rifle and do a transfer at the local gun shop or go to a local gun shop and order from them? Which way is cheaper and I wonder if the gun shop would mind, especially if they can place an order for me themselves.

ZRH
03-06-11, 03:50
It's a personal preference...

El Pistolero
03-06-11, 04:01
Is your local FFL a dealer in the products you wish to buy? For example my local dealers back home were Bushmaster and Ruger dealers, so if I wanted a Bushy or perhaps a Ruger SR-556 they could hook me up. But if I wanted a nicer gun I had to find it myself. The only reason I have to buy my ARs online is because nobody has ever heard of BCM or Noveske. And when I want to order one and the local dealer looks them up online they think I'm a f---tard for wanting to spend so much on an AR-15 and then they do me a favor to save me money and steer me over to their rack of perfectly good Bushmasters and DPMS rifles and tell me they are better because everybody's heard of them. That's been my experience.

To answer the OP's question I honestly don't see what difference it makes if they still have to receive the firearms and do the transfer for you, unless they happen to be an authorized dealer for the manufacturer of the firearm you want. As long as you get what you want and pay a price you are happy with then I don't think it really matters.

Spooky130
03-06-11, 05:51
I would definitely talk it over with your dealer and see what their policies are on having them do the transfer. I've run into a dealer or two who wanted 10% of the value of the rifle to do the transfer - when you buy quality rifles that is silly expensive.

Once you get that answer, start looking around for the cheapest deal you can find. I normally start with board sponsors here - they actually have really good prices and are the best to work with.

Spooky

austinN4
03-06-11, 07:28
If you are LEO/MIL, some manufactures offer discounts on direct sales, i.e. Noveske.

PatrolRifleGroup
03-06-11, 07:37
Non-NFA purchase--> Manufacturer

NFA Purchase--> Trustworthy Class III

I'm lucky in that I have a co-worker who is an FFL, and only charges $20 a transfer. In that regard, it is easier for me to go through the manufacturer, and obtain any LE discounts.

I'm also lucky to have a really good class III dealer. For NFA purchases, I go through him since he's doing the paperwork. He always gives me a fair price, so I don't mind that he makes some coin off of me. After all, he does have a business to run.

rob_s
03-06-11, 07:38
Whoever gets you the best price/service.

I would advise, either way, verifying the item you want is in-stock. If you visit a local dealer have them call around while you're standing there and tell you if they can find what you're looking for in-stock.

nowayout
03-06-11, 08:51
An all FFL's aren't necessarily dealers. Or at least mine isn't. I pay $24 a transfer plus tax on the $24 here in NY. There is a way to find local FFL's online you just have to search.

My 2 cents is to shop around, check your local dealers by calling to see if they carry or can get what you want. Then check prices between online and local and dont forget to add tax to local or in same state purchase.

Sometimes it's worth paying a little extra to a local dealer. Thats your decision to make. I also say definitely consider a retailer from this site as I found have incredible service and prices.

Good luck with your purchase.

WGG
03-06-11, 09:40
I would check with site vendors like G&R Tactical (OH) and Bravo Company (WI) to see if they carry the complete rifle you are looking for. They often offer prices below MSRP if the manufacturer does not require them to use MAP (Manufacturer's Advertised Price). This would also save you state sales tax if you don't live in the states they are located in.

Then find a local FFL to do the transfer. Typical transfer fees in my area are $25 - $50.

Good luck.

WGG
03-06-11, 09:41
duplicate

austinN4
03-06-11, 10:09
They often offer prices below MSRP if the manufacturer does not require them to use MAP (Manufacturer's Advertised Price).
Not to derail this thread, but MAP, as the name implies, is only about minimum advertised price. A dealer can still sell it to you below MAP, they just can't advertise it below MAP if they have a MAP contract. Always inquire in private to get the best price.

OK, back to dealer or manufacturer question.

Acidskie
03-06-11, 14:59
I would suggest manufacture or a trusted online dealer.

The money saved in state sales tax buys a lot of ammo depending on purchase price.

Also - someone correct me if I'm wrong - buying the lower and upper separately means you only pay the FET tax on the lower (Does a NFA SBR change this at all?)

10% on a complete lower costing $250 = $25
10% on a complete rifle costing $1,100 = $110

Doesn't sound like a lot, but that $85 can be applied to a course/ammo/other wanted parts.

Watrdawg
03-06-11, 15:43
Depends upon the dealer. the guy I buy most of my rifles and shotguns from will do me favors and helped me out with ordering my lower from LMT. He wasn't a LMT dealer and he called them up to find out how to become one. 10 days later he was approved with them. He ordered my lower for me a gave me a great price. It was a good bit less than if I had ordered it directly from LMT. I've been buying guns from him for about 15years now. I've also sent a lot of people to him so helps me out when he can.

In a case like that you may be better off going with a dealer. Just depens upon your dealer.