PDA

View Full Version : VTAC Sling: Am I missing something?

gdubyacobb
03-06-11, 11:08
So after reading about slings here and other places i ordered a VTAC MK1 sling and I don't think I like it.
Its thin and it seems oddly long.
I got it set up in a way the seemed workable, but I felt I would need to cut it in order to have it really fit and I don't want to do that until i am sure I want to keep it.
When i have it adjusted so that the adjustment clamp is in a good spot there us so much extra on the front end that it won't adjust much because of the strap doubling back.
Should it need trimming? Or am i leaving the back end to long? (But if that's the case, when the back end is shorter the clamp is riding way up in my armpit and hard to access.)
Any thoughts or opinions?
(For the record: I'm 6'2" 200# and the rifle is a 6920)

Seraph
03-06-11, 12:33
I don't own that sling, but I would assume there's extra length provided, so that the end user can trim it as needed, and choose a final length that will fit over any armor, heavy coats, or whatever he may use.

Chameleox
03-06-11, 15:42
Same with the Vickers slings- I have a decent amount rolled up and taped away. Just as Seraph said: I personally wouldn't cut it off yet. I'd see how much I needed for winter clothing, armor, etc.

Then again, you just might find that the VYAC or Vickers, etc. may not work for you. No problem there, either.

gdubyacobb
03-06-11, 16:34
Thanks for the input.
I'll try setting it up with the extra rolled and taped, and then I'll work with it a bit and see what I think before cutting or giving up on it.

rob_s
03-06-11, 17:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhojNCdksYw

I believe that Kyle and many other users of that sling attach it at the A and D points on the gun, meaning you need more length for it. This is especially true when attaching to the front of a FF forend 10" long or more.

A = FSB or further forward
B = Delta ring or similar
C = Castle nut or similar
D = Toe/Heel/Buttpad area of stock

cpd2110
03-06-11, 18:29
You are supposed to cut to fit. Once it is cut just burn the ends and your good. I left my ends uncut for a few months until I was sure I liked
the setup. I started with the vcas and went to the vtac. It did take some getting used to but I wouldn't go back.

gdubyacobb
03-06-11, 18:54
You are supposed to cut to fit. Once it is cut just burn the ends and your good. I left my ends uncut for a few months until I was sure I liked
the setup. I started with the vcas and went to the vtac. It did take some getting used to but I wouldn't go back.

Good to know, the instructions don't mention it but I figured that might be the case.

Belmont31R
03-06-11, 19:02
If you decide to cut it a method I use it to take an old paring knife, and heat it with a torch. It will burn the ends off in a nice clean fashion at the cut site.