PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific part

Brksy86
03-06-11, 15:46
I just left my last unit but right before I did one guy outfitted his m4 rifle with a piece that fit at the end of the hand guard on the barrel. It had almost like little spikes in it and was slightly larger than the hand guard but allowed him to stabilize the gun while standing by pressing it into the corner of a wall, ect. Does anyone know the name of this piece and where I can find one? I asked a vendor at a gun show yesterday and he showed me a piece called a porcupine that was actual spikes, did the same thing but also extended and became like an 8 spike bayonet around the barrel. Sort of what I was looking for but not exactly, and I was not about to spend $800 on that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MistWolf
03-06-11, 16:00
Some 3 gun shooters have little "hand-stop" pieces mounted to their rails that they hook on barricades and the like to stabilize their carbines during shooting

qcfmike
03-06-11, 20:08
Might not be exact...but sounds like what you are looking for. It's on their website under NST link.

Brksy86
03-06-11, 22:51
thanks mike, that is the closest thing so far, his actually covered three sides so that the upper rail is clear but it allows use from both sides and below, any idea as to that? Your help has already been extremely helpful though and I do appreciate it. I'd like this because I'm now the D.M. and ambidextrous so I would rather have a single piece to do the job rather than buying mulitple.

qcfmike
03-07-11, 12:35
Sorry that is all I have seen. I hear you on wanting only one piece...but might not be all that bad clipping one on each side of the rails and keeping the top and bottom open. Serves the purpose and only $100 invested. Or cover the sides and bottom for a buck fifty. Not too shabby. :big_boss:

What about getting just one and using a QD mount base on it? Keep it mounted on the lower rail until you need it elsewhere. Total cost maybe $100-125 or so. Keeps the rails clean and weight down.

chevellemrwl
03-07-11, 13:30
Latest edition of Guns and Ammo had it advertised on Page 46
By ATI : The FSB Nose Cone
Part # A.5.10.2360

http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-298-fs8-nose-cone.aspx

Brksy86
03-07-11, 13:33
awsome, that will work perfect. thank you very much

qcfmike
03-08-11, 21:23
I think I read that right... theATI FS8 nose cone only fits their ATI forends. Nice concept but not universal. :(

Brksy86
03-08-11, 21:28
yeah i started looking into it too and it only fits on their rails, so your right, but i wonder if i can find somebody to fabricate something like it using an autocad system

qcfmike
03-09-11, 13:59
I have learned in life anything can be done for the right price. My first thought was just use longer set screws and mount to the barrel. It very quickly hit me that by doing that you lose free float of the barrel and not too mention that the stress or pressure might actually affect the POI of your shots. I think for the money...and how often this will actually come into play...the K9 or similar would be a safer and less expensive route. I hate to sound like the broken record around here...but spend the saved money on ammo and classes! :D