PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Frangible Ammo

CB59
03-06-11, 16:29
I don't want to chew up the steel for my range that I've invested so much time in fabricating so I want to set up my Dillon 550B so I can reload mass quantities of frangible 5.56 using Sinterfire projectiles. Does anyone have some advice they'd like to offer on loads for that vendors bullet? Thanks in advance.

markm
03-07-11, 19:24
I reload the BARNES MPG 55 grain RRLP bullets with 24.5 grains of TAC.

I need to restock on those bullets. They run like $0.29 each which is kind of pricey... but worth it for some close range steel shooting.

markm
03-29-11, 12:42
I've also recently tried 36 grain Varmint Grenades as an experiment. They can be used as frangibles in a pinch. Their construction is similart to that of the RRLP bullets, and most of the retailers around here have those in stock regularly.

They lightly pock my 450 plates out of a 20" barrel.... so I'm sure they'd be fine on 500 steel from carbine barrels.

MarkG
03-29-11, 13:31
I reload the BARNES MPG 55 grain RRLP bullets with 24.5 grains of TAC.

I need to restock on those bullets. They run like $0.29 each which is kind of pricey... but worth it for some close range steel shooting.

Only use Barnes MPG's or similar bullets with a metal jacket. Using traditional frangible ammunition in an AR-15 is very abusive to the weapon.

markm
03-29-11, 14:16
Only use Barnes MPG's or similar bullets with a metal jacket. Using traditional frangible ammunition in an AR-15 is very abusive to the weapon.

Doesn't it tear up the throat of the barrel? A few years back one of the members here said that the junky frangible was doing this to his agencies guns.

In any case.. I agree... I've never skimped on frangible.

markm
03-29-11, 14:30
I found it!!

Frange, depending on construct, will greatly enhance wear of the barrel. The Navy had a huge problem with it essentially enlarging the bore dia for about 4" in front of the chamber. When regular ammo went through, later, it would swell with the increased dia, but not be able to shrink back to the reg dia.. catostrophic failures. This older type frange also ate the hell out of the gas ports.

Essentially, particulate matter was breaking off the projectile and sandblasting the hell out of the barrel & port. The newer RRLP "white tip" supposedly doesn't have the same problems.

I wouldn't even have posted this except for concern about LE folks safety. Consult the manufacturer, weapons manufacturer, FBI test center, and others for specific info or recommendations.

MarkG
03-29-11, 15:13
I found it!!

Traditional frangible ammunition disintegrates transiting the bore. It media blasts the barrel form the throat to the muzzle device. Frangible is also a huge no-go when using a suppressor.

The guilded jacket on the MPG's is brass, not copper. Obviously softer than copper and has a lower melting point. Might be interesting to see how the bullets perform in a hot barrel with a moderately high sustained rate of fire.

markm
03-29-11, 15:44
Good to know. I've never fired a single frangible round through my can because of how long they are.

I've always been concerned about stabilization... but I never thought about the jacket material.

I have fired some of it in bursts with no noticeable issues.