PDA

View Full Version : Installed a SDC what did I do ....

zerooption
03-06-11, 18:41
So I installed a Geissele SD-C and went to the range to test fire the trigger. When I changed the safety to fire the trigger released with no problem, but I noticed that there was no reset to re-engage (with another round), the trigger would not release while in the fire mode. To re-engage, I had to move the selector back to safe then fire to re-engage.

I thought that maybe it was due to the safety selector was affecting this operation. When I switched (I am left handed and so it was on the right side of the reciever) to the left and then performed another function check same problem.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong?:confused

Belmont31R
03-06-11, 18:54
Im a bit slow but basically when shooting the trigger is not resetting? Meaning the hammer is not clicking back into place in the down position? Or it is but not firing?

Can you do a basic functions check with the upper off? Just catch the hammer with your finger so it doesn't smack into the lower.

Further what setup are you running besides the trigger?

MistWolf
03-06-11, 19:13
I believe you're problem is the fit between the trigger & safety.

Ease the hammer down to avoid damage to the lower or use a snap block. You can snap the hammer on your thumb but it's painful- especially after the second or third time:shout:

zerooption
03-06-11, 19:14
So I am using Vltor A5 stock with a MIAD pistol grip. I am using DD LPK and will eventually get a ambi safety selector switch. I am in the process of a doing a build and so I am building the lower first.

When I perform the function check. The hammer is down, the weapon is safe. I squeeze the trigger, the weapon doesn't fire. I switch to fire and engage the trigger the weapon fires. At this point I would expect the trigger to release again (as if I was reenaging) but in this case the trigger is locked (meaning I squeeeze it there is no movement). When I locked the hammer down and the safety selector is still in fire, I squeeze the trigger, the hammer won't release.

At this point I would move the safety to safe (I can hear a click). I squeeze the trigger (weapon is safe) it does not fire. If I move the safety to fire the hammer release but it doesn't reset. If I move the safety to safe (SAB)

I took another lower and installed a regular trigger kit performed the function check but when I fire the hammer releases, but I can squeeze the trigger and feel it give as if I am reengaging.

zerooption
03-06-11, 19:21
I believe you're problem is the fit between the trigger & safety.

Ease the hammer down to avoid damage to the lower or use a snap block. You can snap the hammer on your thumb but it's painful- especially after the second or third time:shout:

So I have done this and as I said swapped the safety from the right side to to left side (as off the shelf weapons are built for right handers)

When you installed your trigger when the Safety on Safe or Fire when you began your installation?

MistWolf
03-06-11, 19:22
Check your PMs. I do not recall what position my safety was in when I installed my SSA-E

MistWolf
03-06-11, 19:26
I do not know if the trigger will function without the safety being in place. I do not know if it's holding the rear of the trigger in place, but I doubt it. If the safety is not holding anything of the trigger group in place, remove the safety and check for function. If it functions fine, you know it's interference between the safety & trigger that's causing your problem

zerooption
03-06-11, 19:27
thanks will do...

lt211
03-06-11, 19:27
Its hard to see in the picture but it appears the hammer spring isn't right... http://0323924.netsolstores.com/pdfs/ssa-instructions.pdf

Its easy to install the hammer with the hammer spring in the wrong position, when installing it in the right position there should be allot of resistance when holding the hammer in place. Study the picture in the instructions.

sagmill
03-06-11, 19:49
The trigger spring legs look like they are bent backwards toward the safety. They should be out toward the hammer.

The hammer spring legs are also not right they should be down next to the receiver walls.

Pull the hammer and trigger out and remove safety. Without the safety you will have more room. Install trigger, then safety while pushing trigger forward. then install hammer.

Belmont31R
03-06-11, 23:01
Yeah it looks like the hammer is all jacked up.....

Here's a little video I made the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB-nUF2VwV8

zerooption
03-06-11, 23:39
Yeah it looks like the hammer is all jacked up.....

Here's a little video I made the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB-nUF2VwV8

Thanks Belmont for this helpful video YES all of you were correct I indeed did jack up the hammer.:o The video was very instructional and certain helped in correcting the mistake. I appreciate the advice. :D Now onto the upper once the barrel arrives .........