PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Replacement Barrel

Aud_VDW
09-16-07, 20:32
Howdy,

I am looking for a replacement barrel to squeeze out any more mechanical accuracy from a Glock 19 (Please no ammo/training comments :D ).

I would assume by having a hand fit barrel I may loose the inherent reliability the Glock has, and that’s fine, but is there any barrel out there that offers more accuracy while still remaining as reliably as factory?

If anyone can offer any suggestions as to which would be the best, AND which would be the best value I’d appreciate it. I’m looking for something corrosion resistant, so I’d want a stainless barrel.

Lastly, would the factory Glock barrel benefit by being re-crowned?

Thanks in advance.

ST911
09-16-07, 23:31
Howdy, I am looking for a replacement barrel to squeeze out any more mechanical accuracy from a Glock 19 (Please no ammo/training comments :D ).

Are you a shooter that's capable of producing the difference in accuracy between any two barrels?

Training is likely your solution.

I would assume by having a hand fit barrel I may loose the inherent reliability the Glock has, and that’s fine, but is there any barrel out there that offers more accuracy while still remaining as reliably as factory?

In my experience, nope. I've chased that tail.

If anyone can offer any suggestions as to which would be the best, AND which would be the best value I’d appreciate it. I’m looking for something corrosion resistant, so I’d want a stainless barrel.

A best "value" has compromises. If you're seriously seeking an accurate barrel, focus on that variable and spend what's required. Then dedicate that gun to that purpose.

The best value in G19 barrels is the OEM.

Lastly, would the factory Glock barrel benefit by being re-crowned?

Nope.

You have an outstanding service, fighting handgun. Kindly leave it alone. ;)

Robb Jensen
09-17-07, 06:45
When I shot a Glock 34 in USPSA-Production division and in IDPA-SSP division I started with a stock barrel. With factory loads it was more than accurate enough. When I had a local ammo sponsor handloading subsonic (a 147gr ZERO HP doing 875fps but very high pressure loads, +P+ pressures using VV N320 powder and undersizing the cases using a special undersized die and loading the round very long). The ZERO plated bullet would keyhole at 10yds (because of the plated bullet not fitting the polygonal rifling very well). These same loads wouldn't keyhole with my Kahr PM9, SIG 225 or CZ85, so I then switched to a KKM (standard rifling) stainless drop in barrel. The KKM was only about 5% (if that) more accurate than the stock barrel with all loads.

FWIW last year Dave Sevigny (http://www.sevignyperformance.com/) used a Glock 35 with a stock barrel, magwell, trigger job and Warren made Sevigny cut sights to win at the USPSA Nationals in Limited Division (competing against guys shooting $3K+ guns).

The Glock is more than enough accurate with a stock barrel. A bullseye gun it is not, nor was it ever intended to be.

Replacing the barrel on a Glock for more accuracy is a hardware solution for a software problem.

I know you don't want to hear it but your money would be much more wisely spent on ammo, lessons/training and practice. Then use what you 've learned, practice live fire at least once a week and do a ton of dryfire and dry practice.

Wayne Dobbs
09-17-07, 09:03
Lots of good advice given here. Until you can outshoot the gun, don't jack with it. After seeing many hundreds of shooters and hundreds of thousands of rounds through Glock 9mm pistols, I haven't seen anybody who can do that.

Do the training thing and you'll get further, faster...

JohnJak
09-17-07, 16:57
My stock G19 is dead on.

John Fettes
09-18-07, 14:16
Why not call Barsto and ask them how much difference their barrel would make?

John

markm
09-18-07, 14:20
Replacing the barrel on a Glock for more accuracy is a hardware solution for a software problem.

Well put. And as far as the hand fitting notion.... the barrels on glocks are NOTHING like a 1911. They fit perfectly right out of the box.

MX5
09-27-07, 11:15
I use KKM stainless barrels for Glocks when I need a barrel change. My needs are for conventional rifling for lead reloads for practice and the threads for when I hang the oversized 'flash suppressor' on it. :cool: