PDA

View Full Version : what's the best LPK for my Receiver.

mark.dias27
03-06-11, 20:29
what is the best lower parts kit to get? my local gun shop has rra, dpms, and cmmg in stock always. they have the whole magpul line, so i am going to swap out the trigger gaurd and probably the pistol grip. but i want to get a good lower parts kit for my new receiver (by the way, its a pws stripped, its what they had in stock and i like the picture lol). let me know what you guys think. as always i come to you for knowledge before i make my final decision.

13MPG
03-06-11, 20:58
I'd look at G&R for a LPK or buy one of the Daniel Defense kits.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

SeriousStudent
03-06-11, 21:22
I have also have very good experience with the G&R parts kits, and have ordered five.

One bonus, is that you can order a few extra springs and detents. Pretty handy when one goes flying under the fridge. ;)

The out of box trigger is also very good, too.

kyrin88
03-06-11, 21:31
LMT LPKs are very good. Top quality!! Quality is very distinguishable between lower quality LPKs.

nynco
03-06-11, 21:39
If you want the best deal go to Palmetto Armory. I have one of their lower parts kits. I can not tell you on longevity. I have not owned it long enough. But it seemed good to me. If you want they sell upgraded kits with geissele triggers. They also give you the option for upgraded Magpul parts too. Not to mention if you look at the stock kits, you will see a Magpul CTR stock with buffer and tube for almost the same price as a CTR alone in most places. I outfitted my whole lower from them for 170 with all magpul upgrades. I looked all over and found no one cheaper.

ZRH
03-06-11, 22:52
LMT LPKs are very good. Top quality!! Quality is very distinguishable between lower quality LPKs.
Seconded. Full disclosure: it's the only kind I've ever used aside from random Colt parts.

Rattlehead
03-06-11, 23:59
Search and ye shall find..
G&R, LMT. A couple others, I'm only mentioning those because I shot with them today.

Dunderway
03-07-11, 00:00
My limited experience with CMMG/DPMS is that they are poor quality. RRA have seemed to be pretty good QC from what I have seen.

The G&R kits that I've used have been really nice, and are what I would recommend. Do they still come with LMT parts? It's no longer mentioned in the description.

I am hoping that Colt will start selling LPKs on their site for less than $125.

bkb0000
03-07-11, 00:39

Seconded. Full disclosure: it's the only kind I've ever used aside from random Colt parts.

did i get trapped in a time-warp or something? when did LMT start selling LPKs?

Rattlehead
03-07-11, 00:46
did i get trapped in a time-warp or something? when did LMT start selling LPKs?

The LMT LPK's that I have came with my three LMT lowers, I cannot speak for kyrin88 or ZRH however.
On a different lower, I bought the FCG from someone, then got the rest from Grant.

bkb0000
03-07-11, 00:49
The LMT LPK's that I have came with my three LMT lowers, I cannot speak for kyrin88 or ZRH however.
On a different lower, I bought the FCG from someone, then got the rest from Grant.

in a lower, is the only way i know how to get readily available LMT LPKs right now. you used to be able to get them from a few different sources, but those days are long gone, last i knew.

if there's a new source for individual LPKs, i want in. LMT does not sell kits. they dont even sell individual FCGs anymore.

82ndtrooper
03-07-11, 00:58
Never had a problem with RRA LPK's.

Though, I've been known to go straight to LMT LPKs.

Rattlehead
03-07-11, 01:01
in a lower, is the only way i know how to get readily available LMT LPKs right now. you used to be able to get them from a few different sources, but those days are long gone, last i knew.

if there's a new source for individual LPKs, i want in. LMT does not sell kits. they dont even sell individual FCGs anymore.

I can't remember if I saw them on G&R a long time ago, but I have not been able to source them either.

bkb0000
03-07-11, 01:15
Though, I've been known to go straight to LMT LPKs.

where?

ZRH
03-07-11, 01:18
I swear I got one from someplace in MO like 5 years ago. You could call LMT but it would probably cost as much as a Colt one. There is also CMT/Stag (tbh I don't like RRA as a company).

hunter123
03-07-11, 01:19
My limited experience with CMMG/DPMS is that they are poor quality. RRA have seemed to be pretty good QC from what I have seen.

The G&R kits that I've used have been really nice, and are what I would recommend. Do they still come with LMT parts? It's no longer mentioned in the description.

I am hoping that Colt will start selling LPKs on their site for less than $125.

I just received a LPK from G&R with no fcg on saturday and the safety selector and bolt catch are both LMT.

Rattlehead
03-07-11, 01:27
You could call LMT but it would probably cost as much as a Colt one.

IIRC, it was around the same price as a Colt, they are one of the best IMO.

bkb0000
03-07-11, 02:08
unless something has changed, as i said, LMT does not sell LPKs, at any price. they have a 200-part minimum order policy for all small parts. the only way to get LMT LPKs is from a 3rd party who orders 200 pieces of each part, then assembles them into LPKs for sale.

if i had the capital, i'd do it... but i dont

SomeOtherGuy
03-07-11, 10:09
The G&R LPK are better than others I've used.

If I could not get a G&R kit, I would use one of Armalite, Spike's, and Daniel Defense. It's worth noting that G&R and current Spike's seem to both use the square "S" trigger and hammer, while DD uses that brand for hammer only and some other trigger that looks a bit rougher. My recent Armalite LPKs have their 2-stage trigger so I don't know what quality of parts they supply if you want a USGI style trigger.

Of course, if you're building a really nice gun, the G&R basic kit only (no trigger/hammer) and a Geissele trigger is an even nicer way to go.

Toyoland66
03-07-11, 10:11
G&R makes a nice LPK, as already said the selector and bolt catch are LMT, not sure the origin of the other small parts. The bolt catch roll pin is a spiral pin. The only issue I had with mine was with the trigger guard roll pin, which is supplied as part of the magpul MOE trigger guard. It is oversized in my opinion and a pita to install so I replaced it with a colt pin.

For a standard lpk with options I would go G&R again. It can be ordered with or without fcg or trigger guard if you want to install a gisielle etc.

If you want ambi controls and a different fcg I would order the colt small parts kit from brownells (lpk minus fcg & safety) and install a lmt ambi or b.a.d.a.s.s. Selector + fcg of your choice.

d90king
03-07-11, 10:13
Colt.

You asked for the "best"... As others have said the G&R LPK's are more than adequate.

Birddog1911
03-07-11, 10:44
I just used Palmetto State Armory's LPK with a Geissele trigger upgrade. Everything was just as it should be, and boy that trigger is sweet.

C4IGrant
03-07-11, 11:13
I can't remember if I saw them on G&R a long time ago, but I have not been able to source them either.

We have full LMT LPK's available, but you are going to pay for them (as they are expensive).

To be honest, a good number of the parts used in our LPK's come from LMT. ;)

C4

kyrin88
03-07-11, 14:38
unless something has changed, as i said, LMT does not sell LPKs, at any price. they have a 200-part minimum order policy for all small parts. the only way to get LMT LPKs is from a 3rd party who orders 200 pieces of each part, then assembles them into LPKs for sale.

if i had the capital, i'd do it... but i dont

You are right. LMT does not sell LPKs directly, but they can be found(Dont ask me, it came with my LMT lowers). In regards to the BCG, you can get them in FA or SA directly from LMT. I believe the newer LPKs are much better quality than they use to make years back. They even have initials engraved on some of the parts(selector) and the bolt release is serrated top and bottom(very well made). I guess they did this because people were trying to pass BM LPKs as LMT.:confused:

Rattlehead
03-07-11, 15:15
We have full LMT LPK's available, but you are going to pay for them (as they are expensive).

To be honest, a good number of the parts used in our LPK's come from LMT. ;)

C4
I thought that's where I saw them.
Still trying to figure out exactly what is what in your cocktail LPK, a couple are quite obvious. :D

ArmedPete
03-09-11, 13:44
I really like ArmaLite. Their trigger is very nice.

RP88
03-09-11, 14:08
f you aren't worried about the trigger pull and just want a good stock LPK to use in a build, just about any of them will do.

I like Del-Ton's because they can be found for like $45. But, anything around the $60 is adequate.

But as others have recommended, G&R and some others offer some good trigger options.

If you want a good trigger and that is all you're worried about, I'd suggest Geiselle.

SomeOtherGuy
03-09-11, 17:25
f you aren't worried about the trigger pull and just want a good stock LPK to use in a build, just about any of them will do.

I like Del-Ton's because they can be found for like $45. But, anything around the $60 is adequate.

But as others have recommended, G&R and some others offer some good trigger options.

If you want a good trigger and that is all you're worried about, I'd suggest Geiselle.

I've built with a Del-Ton LPK - mostly OK, but the magazine button was oversize (causing scratchy function when pushed) and lost its finish quickly, and something about the bolt stop just doesn't seem 100% right. That lower works fine, so far. I'm actually going to be removing most of the DTI parts and replacing them with better stuff because the lower and stock exceed the quality of the LPK.

The added cost to get a G&R, Daniel Defense, Spike's or Armalite LPK is so small when compared to everything else, I really see it as false economy to use something like a DPMS or DTI LPK. This is my opinion, YMMV...

eternal24k
03-10-11, 07:51
I have a large variety, G&R's unit is great, and I really like Armalites too.
I think I will pick up LWRCs LPK next build to check out, they seem to be very nice on paper.

Merle
06-18-11, 00:02
I have used a number of LPK's, and to be totally honest (flame suit on) the nicest trigger I have found so far was in a DPMS kit. Bushmaster was the shittiest trigger I have ever felt and Stag and RRA felt about the same. As far as the rest of the kit, I couldnt tell you what the difference is between a Colt detent or spring or a DPMS detent or spring, but I didn't have any problems with the DPMS kit at all. YMMV.

outrider627
06-18-11, 01:37
Any reviews for Palmetto State Armory's LPK?

Ramcharger413
06-18-11, 02:03
Just to add my 2 cents, I like DD Lpk's and I have yet to find fault with thier quality.

Amicus
06-18-11, 09:05
I had good experience with Stag, until the last one. I may buy another, but will probably go with G&R for my next.

I have had good DD LPKs, with the stiff but better than usual trigger, but had to toss two springs from my last as they were out of spec (too long and kinked -- a Monday morning kit?).

I guess if you keep on buying stuff, you are going to get a clunker sooner or later.

I would buy a DPMS LPK if it was the last one on earth. Literally, the LAST one.

ra2bach
06-18-11, 09:50
I had good experience with Stag, until the last one. I may buy another, but will probably go with G&R for my next.

I have had good DD LPKs, with the stiff but better than usual trigger, but had to toss two springs from my last as they were out of spec (too long and kinked -- a Monday morning kit?).

I guess if you keep on buying stuff, you are going to get a clunker sooner or later.

I would buy a DPMS LPK if it was the last one on earth. Literally, the LAST one.

I have installed several Stag (CMT) kits and they have the best stock trigger that I have experience with to include DD and all of the lesser usual suspects. I have no durability data as I haven't shot any of these triggers past a few thousand rounds each.

I also like the Armalite 2-stage though it doesn't lend itself to shooting off the reset like a pistol. it is weight adjustable and smooth on the break. no idea on the durability...

tealio
06-18-11, 10:10
+1 G&R.

I like that there are options available depending on what parts you want. The main reason I got the G&R kit is because I didn't have to get the trigger/hammer.

Merle
06-18-11, 10:25
Any reviews for Palmetto State Armory's LPK?
I actually just ordered one yesterday. I'll post a review when I install it. I oredered the kit with the MOE grip and trigger guard that's on sale right now for $52.99.

Merle
06-18-11, 10:31
I felt the exact same way as you until I tried one. I usually use the rock river kit until I got one with a oversized trigger/hammer pin. I would like to hear from anyone that has had a component fail from any of the lower priced kits, or any kit for that matter.

The_War_Wagon
06-18-11, 10:36
I'd look at G&R for a LPK or buy one of the Daniel Defense kits.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

Grant's - because everything FITS and WORKS!

Rhat
06-18-11, 17:15
I actually just ordered one yesterday. I'll post a review when I install it. I oredered the kit with the MOE grip and trigger guard that's on sale right now for $52.99.

Me too...everything went perfect and the trigger is crisp!

Falz24
06-23-11, 02:42
palmetto state armory!! have it your way!

i did mine with the DD lpk and threw in the geisselle trigger. top notch stuff but worth it

Fire_Medic
06-23-11, 08:40
I think the DD kits are great with the MOE trigger guard already in them. Quality parts from a quality company, at a good price.

Just my $0.02

C4IGrant
06-23-11, 09:00
Someone asked me why our LPK's are more money than some others. I advised them that when looking at LPK's you have to compare apples to apples. For quality, I rank LPK's in this order:

1. Colt/FN
2. LMT

Our LPK's are full of LMT components (to inlcude the selector and bolt catch). These parts are VERY expensive and really drive the cost, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. ;)

C4

Ironman8
06-23-11, 09:02
With all these brands of LPKs out there, has anyone noticed that the springs (or other parts for that matter) on the "higher end" kits last longer than the ones on the "lower end" kits?

btw...I did a lower build with a LPK from RB Precision. The trigger in that one is very nice...not gritty and not too heavy...

ReaperAZ
06-23-11, 09:08
Someone asked me why our LPK's are more money than some others. I advised them that when looking at LPK's you have to compare apples to apples. For quality, I rank LPK's in this order:

1. Colt/FN
2. LMT

Our LPK's are full of LMT components (to inlcude the selector and bolt catch). These parts are VERY expensive and really drive the cost, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. ;)

C4

I'll pay more for quality that is known. My G&R LPK is sitting happily in its bag waiting on my lazy arse to start the next project.

LONGBOWAH
06-23-11, 09:38
I know there's not a lot of love here for LWRC rifles, but their enhanced (NiB coated FCG parts) make their LPK the nicest LPK with the best non-aftermarket trigger pull of any I have tried.

polydeuces
06-23-11, 10:04
Do a search.
Not much has changed since about, say, 5-28.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81948
And then there's about 10 more threads pretty much confirming that hands down G&R is the way to go. That, or DD.
That is, if you're serious.
The beautiful thing about G&R is that they are really, really good, available most of if not all of the time, without costing and arm and a leg, and allow for all kinds of customizations.

SomeOtherGuy
06-23-11, 10:57
With all these brands of LPKs out there, has anyone noticed that the springs (or other parts for that matter) on the "higher end" kits last longer than the ones on the "lower end" kits?

I haven't noticed if the little parts last longer, but I have noticed that little parts like the roll pins tend to fit better - they go in with the right amount of force, not loose but not difficult. I notice the same thing with selector detents, and that the bolt catch tends to fit better and rattle less with the kits I consider nicer.

SA80Dan
06-23-11, 13:11
I know there's not a lot of love here for LWRC rifles, but their enhanced (NiB coated FCG parts) make their LPK the nicest LPK with the best non-aftermarket trigger pull of any I have tried.

I fully agree with that - the trigger that comes in the LWRC kit is basically what the Spikes Battle Trigger wants to be when it grows up. Far and away the best stock trigger I have tried; 6.5lb consistent pull, no takeup, very very smooth, and as free from creep as a stock trigger can possibly be. The other parts in the kit are also very neat and high quality. Expensive at $110, however.

polydeuces
06-23-11, 13:37
Considering all that comes in this package makes it very tempting, and doing the math, a good deal - if one needs all these parts.
http://www.lwrci.com/p-148-lwrci-deluxe-lower-parts-kit.aspx

MK18
06-24-11, 02:39
I prefer Defensive Edge for LPKs.

Their springs and parts are outstanding and Sully can tell you where each part is made. Their single stage trigger compares to a RRA two-stage with out the breakage concerns and they stand behind their parts. You will have to contact them direct as the kits are not posted on their website: www.slr15rifles.com

Bob Reed
06-24-11, 05:19
what is the best lower parts kit to get?
Genuine COLT Parts are the highest quality, and it's the brand that I exclusively use. http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/Colt_AR_15_Parts-4-0.html