PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

leroyswift
03-06-11, 23:32
I tried to search in the orange button and couldnt draw any info. I have an m4 carbine w/carry handle and 14.5 barrel. I like it but would also want a m16a1 or a2. Can i buy an upper along with a stock and just change out the carbine stuff?

ucrt
03-06-11, 23:46

Not a simple difference.
Buffer tube, action spring, receiver back plate are different, so your fixed stock wouldn't fit.

If a wife is involved...here's how you do it. Buy the upper & stock and be all dissappointed when you see it won't fit. Mope around for a couple of days. Price some lower parts and then say, "I guess I'll try and build one...Man! I'm stupid!" She'll feel sorry and give you the $250 for the parts. :sarcastic:

Good luck!

leroyswift
03-06-11, 23:50
Ah i see. Well i reckon ill just cut out the moping and start gathering parts. Ill cash in that sympathetic favor another time :haha: Thanks

lethal dose
03-06-11, 23:57
this is why I control the bank accounts.

leroyswift
03-07-11, 00:02
She got hers and i got mine and it works just fine. Any tips on brands of parts and going rates for such build?

lethal dose
03-07-11, 00:38
actually, there is a guy selling an a1 upper on here that i was pretty interested in.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53774&highlight=a1

he emailed me pics. the upper looked great. unfired. something like that, a bcm 16" middy with d ring assembly, rifle length handguards, shaved fsb, and new fsb pinned at rifle length to go for the dissipator look was what i was interested in.

something like this but with an a1 upper:
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3S16D.asp

of course, i'd never recommend a bushmaster complete upper, but the receiver alone would be perfectly fine. i dono, kinda lost interest and think i'm gonna do a flat top dissipator. i think they're really classy and very functional. plus, you get the nice long handguards without the 20" barrel, rifle gas, and the need to buy an aftermarket handguard (although the dissipator uppers tend to be almost as expensive). they're clean and simple. i like 'em.

leroyswift
03-07-11, 08:04
Searching aside, May i ask what is all wrong with bushmaster? My keys in the BCG are staked properly, and has performed fine so far. I know there is exceptions i just am curious. I searched and several other forum sites also spoke of this saying cutting corners and improperly staked keys are to blame.

ucrt
03-07-11, 09:11
Searching aside, May i ask what is all wrong with bushmaster? My keys in the BCG are staked properly, and has performed fine so far. I know there is exceptions i just am curious. I searched and several other forum sites also spoke of this saying cutting corners and improperly staked keys are to blame.

=============================================

Metallurgy, testing/QC, improper chambering, substandard parts, etc.