PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of mag pouches for ccw?

Linea_de_Fuego
09-16-07, 23:24
I'm looking for recommendations for ccw mag pouches. Do you all have particular recommendations?

I have used and liked these, Bianchi Model 29,
http://www.copsplus.com/products/large/29.jpg

but I ordered this one to try in plain black, Bianchi AccuMold Elite.
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/prodimages/7922_l.jpg

HolyRoller
09-17-07, 08:33
I use a single IWB mag pouch from Wild Bill's Concealment, but since IWB carry of mags is for some reason irritating to me even if IWB carry of a 1911 is not, here's what I do:

Use a Velcro keeper to hold it horizontal on my left front, OUTSIDE the belt, with bullets pointed up and base pad pointed outboard. It's well concealed, accessible, won't show when you bend over, and all-day comfortable. I worked this out myself and I can't remember seeing it anywhere else. It makes so much sense to me that I don't know how it's escaped everybody else's notice.

markm
09-17-07, 09:14
That accumold looks more like duty gear. It looks a little bulky for plain clothes or concealed carry.

Derek_Connor
09-17-07, 09:48
certain leather makers do a very nicely executed inside the waistband mag pouches for real deap concealment.

If that isn't your cup of a tea, a a simple small OWB kydex/leather single pouch has always worked for me

Linea_de_Fuego
09-17-07, 10:39
That accumold looks more like duty gear. It looks a little bulky for plain clothes or concealed carry.

You are right, it is intended for duty, but i did want to try one.

Here is another recommendation fron Comp-Tac.
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/images/single_mag_pouch.jpg

DocGKR
09-17-07, 11:12
The Milt Sparks D4C works very well.

markm
09-17-07, 11:41
You are right, it is intended for duty, but i did want to try one.

I'm sure it's a nice piece, but the concern would be the Belt loop holes being quite large since they're set up to accomodate a duty size belt.

It might fit sloppy on a regular pistol belt.

RAM Engineer
09-17-07, 17:03
I like the ones by Ready Tactical, but good luck getting any.

Sam
09-17-07, 20:41
I like the ones by Ready Tactical, but good luck getting any.

Beware of Ready Tactical ! His website has been taken down for a few months, my emails to him bounced back for at least 6 months, unanswered email went over one year, phone calls unanswered. He has my holster that I left for him to repair, that's a year and a half ago.

John Hearne
09-17-07, 20:43
I have a Blade-Tech double that I've had for roughly 10 years and it still works great. I have a Comp-Tac single pouch that is roughly 8 years old and is a solid product as well.

As noted above, avoid stuff designed for duty belts. Most duty belts run 2.25-2.5" and most concealed carry belts are in the 1.5" range.

Lumpy196
09-17-07, 21:05
Im odd. I prefer my holsters made of horsehide and my mag carriers to be single mag kydex holders. If I want more than one spare mag, I put on another carrier. The spacing allows better placement and concealment for me. I usually end up with one mag at 10 o'clock and another at 8.

Akoni
09-19-07, 09:32
Im odd. I prefer my holsters made of horsehide and my mag carriers to be single mag kydex holders. If I want more than one spare mag, I put on another carrier. The spacing allows better placement and concealment for me. I usually end up with one mag at 10 o'clock and another at 8.

I'll second that. A VMII with 2 kydex mag carriers. Just don't bother trying a mag carrier with something like a tek-lok. Mine are from cen-dex but he's not making anything now. Definitely go with single carriers, the doubles don't offer sufficient placement flexibility. I also used a leather iwb carrier (leather arsenal) that i sandwich between the belt and pants. Not sure why exactly but it is more comfortable than having it in the pants and very concealable.

(I posted this on another board)
An interesting note on concealed carry:

I've been carrying concealed for a very long time. I'm just a few weeks back in the US and am once again comfortable with concealed carry after that brief awkward period when you first come back from being gone and in a completely different situation (mostly just getting used to civilization in general). Anyway, it's mid-day, I'm hungry as hell and it's raining hard. Run to the car, run to the deli, back to the car and back into my building. It rained pretty hard throughout that evolution. Well, that stylishly loose shirt that was concealing my 1911, mags, etc. is pretty wet and printing like the friggin US Treasury. I stand there looking at a reflection of myself waiting for the elevator when I notice this new twist. Anyway, just cause you left the house concealed doesn't mean you'll stay that way throughout the day. I'm not sure if this has happened to me before or not which is sorta f*cked up. Something to keep in mind.

Wraith
09-19-07, 09:48
I can only speak for Glock mags but I've really liked Sidearmor mag pouches. They're really low profile and look a lot like the Comp Tac ones. I've used the BlackHawk mag pouches but they seem just a little bit too bulky since they're trying to accomadate too many different mags. I'll use them for IPSC or IDPA but not when I'm carrying. The best advice I can offer is to use something low profile and Sidearmor mag pouches do the trick.

MX5
09-27-07, 11:05
In Kydex I use the Blade Tech & in leather use a Galco - both single stack doubles.

Jeff_M
09-27-07, 12:51
For best concealment a pouch with rounded edges is required. I like leather, but some kydex pouches will work great also. Stay away from pouches that have something like the Tek-Lok system. This only pushes the magazine further away from the body making it harder to conceal.

I like the Galco High Ride Pouch. Kramer also makes good pouches, but they are sometimes cut too high (i.e. cover too much of the mag body making it difficult to draw). The blade-tech and other kydex pouches mentioned by others are all good as long as they just have a simple belt loop and smoothed/rounded edges.

Two single pouches may offer you more flexibility. Depending on the pouch design, two singles may end up being more concealable also.