PDA

View Full Version : AAR EAG Carbine Casa Grande AZ 14-16Sept 200y

Pat_Rogers
09-16-07, 23:35
AAR Casa Grande AZ 14-16Sept 2007

EAG conducted a Carbine Operators Course at the Casa Grande AZ PD range 14-16 September 2007. The WX continued to be hot, with temps from 105- 115. As with the previous Eloy class, those in reasonable physical shape did tolerate the heat well. Those who were not, did not.
In police work we call this a clue. In order to achieve maximum effectiveness, your head has to be screwed on straight and your body needs to be functioning well. Anything less means reduced performance, increased safety issues and a general lowering of class efficiency.
Some people can cope with this because they have lived a lifestyle that includes hardships and decision making. Others have a different lifestyle and fall apart the instant they fall out of their comfort zone.
While an open class, this was like the previous class at Eloy and was heavily populated by professionals, with cops from San Diego (AKA Sandy Eggo), El Cajon, AZ DPS, Border Patrol and other agencies, a super experienced Blackhawk pilot and various people involved in the mil industry. This includes Jeff Cahill, a good friend and principal of TangoDown.
A pleasant addition was Denny Hansen, editor of the very successful SWAT magazine and his 19 year old daughter Ashleigh, who is writing a story about this class from the female point of view.
We had a total of four Ladies in the last two classes, a nice trend. Those women coming to my carbine classes don’t complain, whine or snivel, and have a much different attitude from the general population in general.
Like all classes, this was a mix of old friends, and the ability to make new ones.
Those who spend their time and money to ensure that they have an edge to win are generally several steps above the masses.
The very nice thing about most classes in general- and the Eloy and Casa Grande classes in particular- is that they were populated by some very sharp and experienced real deal guys- cop, mil, contractors. All of them had great attitudes, and all were willing to share everything- guns, ammo, experience. It was all there and one could accept it or not. Wise people could and benefited.
Magazines weren’t as much a problem as they are in other classes. The PMAGs are running with boring efficiency.
Rifle problems exist, but there were not too many in this class. A LWRC gun had multiple feeding/ extraction issues. However, the lower was a Franken type and the owner stated that most of the issues were related to that and it finished the class. There was the usual assortment or wear part issues- action springs, extractor springs etc, but Josh handled all of them.
One student had a very retro gun (she has been away from shooting for years). This fixed stock, 16” carbine had slots milled in the top/ sides of the ban type barrel. After every shot fired, the barrel twisted down and right, making rapid, accurate shots difficult. She did well with it, but probably done even better without the slots in the barrel.
The training business as well as the gun business evolves- what was good then may or may not be now. But, without the efforts of a lot of people trying and failing, we would still be floundering with wood stocked guns and safeties in the trigger guard.
As an aside, lodging is always a chancy prospect. You can avoid a lot of problems by staying at better hotels. My company has a deal with Hampton Inn, and it is seldom that we ever run into issues. Lodging in this part of AZ is problematic. The area- while beautiful- has major drug and gang issues, and these filter down into all aspects of life.
one student was asleep in his room when a crack whore used a key card to gain entry to his room and demanded money. The POS was clearly guilty of poor target selection.
The lesson here is that while you can’t always avoid the filth and garbage that are drug users, you can double lock doors, chain lock when possible and keep a chair in front of the door. Have a plan, and be ready to execute that plan when necessary.

Thanks to Mike Hueser and Josh K for keeping both people and guns functional. Special thanks also to Chris Lapre, host for both the Eloy class and the Casa Grande Class and who ably assisted us on the line. Thanks to both the Eloy and Casa Grande Police Departments to permit us to use their facilities. Many thanks as well to his lovely wife Cindy for providing a spectacular Italian dinner for the entire class.
And of course, thanks to Marty, his 14 week old Wal Mart parking lot pup for providing warmth, entertainment and love. What a charmer!
Special thanks to Viking Tactics, Larue Tactical, H&G, TangoDown, Slip 2000 and CSM gear. We appreciate your support.

markm
09-17-07, 15:00
Great recap! Makes me wish I could have attended.

I've noticed that sometimes the folks who show up not physically prepared are the same ones long on all the latest gadgetry! They don't seem to see the whole picture.

Although this summer has dragged on like a mother.... and I haven't been the model of physical fitness training either! As soon as we get a break in the heat I'll start training again and get ready for another long overdue class!

Jay Cunningham
09-17-07, 15:15
From Michael Yon's (http://www.michaelyon-online.com/) latest dispatch:

We walked and walked, and Soldiers kept asking me if I was okay. Especially one Soldier named Staff Sergeant Chuomg Le, who kept asking if the heat was getting to me. I kept saying I would be carrying him before he would be carrying me. He just laughed. Other Soldiers said Le is a physical animal. But one of the tricks to combat reporting that I’ve learned is you don’t have to be tougher than all the Soldiers, just tougher than one. When the first one collapses, and they stop to stick an IV into him, you also get a break.

In fact, the next day three Soldiers would collapse from the heat during some fighting, and two of them were so dehydrated that their veins collapsed, proving once again that you don’t have to be tougher than everyone, just the guys who don’t drink enough water. If you can beat those guys, you are like the Lion King of reporters. Soldiers say, “I can’t believe the photographer is still standing when Sergeant So-and-So face-planted.” It’s all smoke and mirrors. I drink water like a fish and dive for every sliver of shade, thinking of the body like a battery that gets drained quickly by the heat and sun. With only so much juice, taking every sliver of shade, even if it’s only for 30 seconds, and pounding that water continuously, all adds up to a longer charge.

unknownsailor
09-17-07, 17:21
I was in the class immediately preceding this one, and the heat forced me to sit for a couple of drills on day two.

We don't get 112 degrees up at Seattle. ;)

Anyway, I did better on day three, but I still had to take it easy in the afternoon. I'm off to Okinawa later on this week, so this class was my crash acclimation course, so to speak...

Submariner
09-17-07, 18:52
But one of the tricks to combat reporting that I’ve learned is you don’t have to be tougher than all the Soldiers, just tougher than That Guy. When That Guy collapses, and they stop to stick an IV into him, you also get a break.

Walking/jigging daily so I am not "That Guy." Last class with Pat was in the 70's/80's unlike anything before seen at Boone County.

UVvis
09-17-07, 20:47
The real problem is that it is hard to diagnose yourself, while degrading your mental ability to auto ID that you are starting to go downhill. Happens in both heat and cold. Everyone knows to keep drinking, you forget, get busy, and don't think about it.

Having the group watching out for everyone helps. Usually someone else notices first, at least in my limited experience.

markm
09-18-07, 08:22
The real problem is that it is hard to diagnose yourself, while degrading your mental ability to auto ID that you are starting to go downhill. Happens in both heat and cold. Everyone knows to keep drinking, you forget, get busy, and don't think about it.

Having the group watching out for everyone helps. Usually someone else notices first, at least in my limited experience.

Yep. I can't fault anyone for getting affected by the heat. It can impact even the fittest of people.

I won't even bother training in the hotter months. It's just too miserable. That's the time of year to work on low light shooting.;)

Pat_Rogers
09-18-07, 21:17
UVvis- roger that!.
Disciline carries most, but we always have 3-4 staff on the set at any time.
We do pulse and if necessary BP, and take breaks long and often.

Getting hurt is one thing. Getting hurt/ dead because of stupidity is another. We always have to help each other out.

Zak- these were gtreat classes- as were the 2 mil preceeding it.
Ohh Rah!