PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sights... Whats the most important features?

johnd3906
03-07-11, 10:32
I am in the market for a back up iron sight, I have been looking at a few well known brands (Troy & Arms) and noticed they are all only windage adjustable. My first question is why? Why not have an elevation adjustment? Second of all how important is elevation adjustment? The only sight I can find with elevation and windage adjustments is the nc star mardrs. I am by no means thrilled by the name or that it's on an air soft page... If anyone knows of another quality buis that includes both windage and elevation please post it here or pm me.

Toyoland66
03-07-11, 10:47
The point of windage only adjustment is simplicity. Elevation is set at the front sight, windage at the rear, set it and forget it. Most BUIS arent designed to be a match sight to make zeroed hits out to extreme distances. Hits can still be made by guessing at holdover, etc. if necessary.

If you need a elevation adjustable BUIS, look at LMT, KAC, Matec, I am sure there are others.

jhs1969
03-07-11, 10:48
I am in the market for a back up iron sight, I have been looking at a few well known brands (Troy & Arms) and noticed they are all only windage adjustable. My first question is why? Why not have an elevation adjustment? Second of all how important is elevation adjustment? The only sight I can find with elevation and windage adjustments is the nc star mardrs. I am by no means thrilled by the name or that it's on an air soft page... If anyone knows of another quality buis that includes both windage and elevation please post it here or pm me.

I run a LMT buis behind an Aimpoint, the LMT is of course a fixed buis. I run a lower 1/3 co-witness so that my sights are always ready if there is ever a problem with the RDS. Unless you are or plan to run a magnified optic I personally recommend a fixed buis.

opmike
03-07-11, 14:11
If you want a quality rear BUIS that hand windage and elevation adjustment (like the carry handle does), look no further than the LMT unit or KAC units.

http://www.operationparts.com/Lmt_Lewis_Machine_Tactical_Adjustable_Rear_Sight_p/l8a.htm

http://www.operationparts.com/Kac_Knights_600m_Flipup_Micro_Rear_Iron_Sight_Buis_p/25650.htm

Quentin
03-07-11, 17:30
You can also cut down an A4 carry handle to mimic the LMT fixed BUIS. Used ones are very cheap but be sure to get one with a quality forge mark and a milspec height sight. Pretty good deal for $40 plus a hacksaw, file, elbow grease and black paint.

The standard elevation knob will let you reindex for the IBZ and other iron sight fun.

markm
03-07-11, 19:34
You can also cut down an A4 carry handle to mimic the LMT fixed BUIS. Used ones are very cheap but be sure to get one with a quality forge mark and a milspec height sight. Pretty good deal for $40 plus a hacksaw, file, elbow grease and black paint.

The standard elevation knob will let you reindex for the IBZ and other iron sight fun.

THIS! You can buy a BCM carry handle BRAND NEW for cheaper than the LMT and cut it yourself.

There is NO buis that is as robust as the carry handle. And that's priority one for me.

variablebinary
03-07-11, 20:41
Just worry about windage. I like ARMS for BIUS, and LMT for fixed rear sights

Troy and KAC are very good BUIS

Surf
03-08-11, 00:39
I agree with Quentin and markm. Chopped handles are my preference. I did a couple more today.

Chopped Handle Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2e9z4xR8yA)

Chopped Handle Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTZHEZk2uxQ)

Belmont31R
03-08-11, 00:54
You'll get 20+ different answers but....

1. Previosly noted windage is set at the rear...elevation at the front.

2. Troy has wings that get in the way.

3. KAC Mirco 300M rear is extremely well made, and all you need in a BUIS. Its compact so it doesn't take a lot of room up. Doesn't get in the way of the CH.

4. Not sure what people are doing with their guns but the HUGE LMT style BUIS is a big chunk of metal that doesn't do anything a quality KAC sight doesn't.

ASH556
03-08-11, 11:19
I know we can use holdover/unders to compensate for trajectory at ranges other than our zero, but I actually like to have POA/POI capability at different ranges. I have a range that is semi-local to me that I sometimes go to to shoot my bolt gun. It goes out to 700yds with steel, and I like the challenge of dialing my KAC 600M rear up and trying to hit the steel with my AR as well. For most applications of the AR, elevation on the rear isn't required, but it already comes on what is IMHO the best, lowest profile folding rear anyway, so why not?
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DDARKAC600MREAR.jpg

nynco
03-08-11, 13:08
I run a Matech. Can't beat it for the price. But I plan to get a KAC someday. Personally like the option of having an elevation adjustable BUIS. But if I just wanted something that was for 200 alone, I would just plop down on the Magpul setup. Its light and it works.

Call_me_Tom
03-08-11, 14:36
My unit issued us Matech BUIS for our M4's. I also have one on my A4gery. I like being able to make wind calls when I'm on a range & not conducting CQB.

Chef Jeff
03-08-11, 16:53
[QUOTE=Toyoland66;931787]The point of windage only adjustment is simplicity. Elevation is set at the front sight, windage at the rear, set it and forget it. Most BUIS arent designed to be a match sight to make zeroed hits out to extreme distances. Hits can still be made by guessing at holdover, etc. if necessary.

Exactly.

TedG
03-08-11, 21:04
I have had Troys, and they are very well made, but I have switched to the DD1.5. Why? Less moving parts and nothing has to be deployed. The mounting is solid.

tnguntoter
03-09-11, 10:45
I am considering the offset Dueck Defense iron sights. They aren't folding, but they sit at a 45degree angle over the bore and seem to be out of the way enough. I currently have a Matech in the rear and a flip up front sight, but they are somewhat useless considering my scope covers up the Matech (even though the scope is in a Larue mount and I could take it off quickly if I had to). I think the Dueck sights are a good idea because if you have a magnified optic you can still use them without removing the optic. Plus they do have windage and elevation adjustment. I haven't seen these in person, so if anyone has any first-hand experience with them they could perhaps provide more/better information.

OTO27
03-09-11, 13:15
I use the ARMS # 40L-SP, the low profile with two apertures and notched at the top. The notches are basically calibrated for both short range and again at long ranges. Heres a link for them:

http://armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=sights&id=[hsh]40L-SP

I have an SR15 on the way, so I will soon see how good the KAC sights are.

My MWS came with the LMT fixed sights and if you are not running an optic, you cant beat this sight for robustness.