PDA

View Full Version : HK USP 9 or HK P30L? which one should I get?

AJM0617
03-07-11, 14:41
Hey guys, Im in the market on purchasing a 9mm HK.. USP 9 or P30L.. I've held both but only shot the USP.. the P30L is just a lil bit more comportble to hold but its really not enough to matter to me.. I own a USP 45 and I can shoot and handle it well.. so you guys have any suggestion or opinion between the two handguns? I have experience with USP but not with P30L.. but I normally have no problem shooting different handguns.. so anyone here have any experience shooting the USP 9 and P30L, let me know...

Thanks

Kchen986
03-07-11, 14:48
If you want extreme familiarity in handling I'd go with the USP9 (this is assuming you've trained to extreme muscle memory with the USP45).

Otherwise, if you want the "latest and greatest" I would go with the P30L. I own a USP45 too, and the controls/grip angles are substantially the same. The P30 has better ergos, IMHO. I can't tell the difference between the triggers, but I think the USP has a higher bore axis (I'd have to double check the numbers).

deeHKman
03-07-11, 17:41
I have the USP 9mm and .45 both in s/s and a .45 Tactical. The USP's fit me just fine plus i shoot them better than any gun i've ever had. Any HK is a very fine piece but its like another post i like to keep the manual of arms the same. I do the same with my Glocks no other striker fired gun i own but Glock.

F-Trooper05
03-07-11, 18:22
I've recently ditched all of my USP's in favor of the P-Series because the ergos are soooooo much better in my opinion. But if you don't notice much of a difference, then you might as well keep it simple and go with the USP (especially since you can get a used one for around $500).

Seraph
03-07-11, 18:28
You know you want the P30L. Just do it. I recently picked up a P30S, and I'm hooked. P30LS is on the very short list.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/K-25Images/K-25HKP30S_web_01.jpg

jwperry
03-07-11, 19:29
The USP9 will have a lower overall cost of ownership.
The P30L is the latest and greatest HK pistol. It is very ergonomic and soft shooting. It is the future of HK hammer fired 9mm pistols, the USP is not.

The only HK I'm personally interested in would be a striker fired P30.

Kool Aid
03-07-11, 21:15
I've owned a 40c and shot a USP 9mm plenty, but the P30 is so good I had to have two. My new P30LS 9mm is ergonomically superb and doesn't have the strange hollow feel I felt with the USP. I also prefer the metal magazine and captive recoil system in the P30 series to the polymer mags and dual springs in the USP. The P30 also has the stretched Novak-style sights that give a longer sight radius than the USP. The iluminova sights that everyone seems to hate on the P30 are actually pretty nice in dark indoor ranges after a quick blast with a flashlight.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-07-11, 21:32
P30, you wont regret it. I own both a P30 as well as an HK45 and they are by far my favorite pistols. In my opinion they represent the worlds finest 9mm and .45 ACP fighting pistols ever designed.

decodeddiesel
03-07-11, 21:54
I too recently joined the P30 LEM bandwagon after experience with the M&P series, G19, P99, M9, and USP 9. I can honestly say that I like the P30 than any of them. It really is in a class of it's own. The only weapons that come close to the P30 in terms of ergos and shootability for me is the P99 and M&P. The lousy trigger (former) and not quite as nice ergos (latter) are what pushed my to the P30. I do think the USP 9, M9, and even G19 to an extent are "yesterday's guns". They were all very popular guns when I was just getting into the shooting scene when I was about 18, and each one has a place in my heart. For that matter I am currently working a sweet M9 deal to get one back into my safe for old times sake However there are real and tangible advancements in the P-series guns, especially with the LEM trigger.

03-07-11, 22:06
I have handled and shot both. I own and carry the P30. It is the way the P30 sits/feels in the hand that swayed me. That said, if I hadn't found one used I would not have bought it, just to expensive. I would have learned to like the Glock, I may still.

karlDS
03-08-11, 00:27
I have handled and shot both. I own and carry the P30. It is the way the P30 sits/feels in the hand that swayed me. That said, if I hadn't found one used I would not have bought it, just to expensive. I would have learned to like the Glock, I may still.

what trigger is your p30? I'm looking a the v3.

Pistol Shooter
03-08-11, 08:43
Here's a picture of my P30 L to inspire you OP. :)

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/DSCN1084.jpg

LDM
03-08-11, 08:49
I have owned a USP and now own a P30 (albeit both .40 S&W).

The P30 is worth the extra money in my opinion. Although they are functionally equivalent, the ergos give the P30 a tremendous edge.

03-08-11, 09:17
what trigger is your p30? I'm looking a the v3.

Sir,
I'm not sure what version HK calls it. It is a standard DA/SA with the decocker button at the left rear of the slide. The DA pull was heavy and gritty when I got it [used, but not much]. Now it's just heavy. The reset is long but the SA pull lighter than my well used Beretta. Overall I like it very much.

gtmtnbiker98
03-08-11, 09:20
Sir,
I'm not sure what version HK calls it. It is a standard DA/SA with the decocker button at the left rear of the slide. The DA pull was heavy and gritty when I got it [used, but not much]. Now it's just heavy. The reset is long but the SA pull lighter than my well used Beretta. Overall I like it very much.It's a V3 (Variant 3) and with use, they lighten up and they are rather smooth. I've got just over 20,000 through my primary P30L and the trigger is just fine. Reset is over rated and you adjust to the added distance after a few hundred rounds.

Pistol Shooter
03-08-11, 16:30
It's a V3 (Variant 3) and with use, they lighten up and they are rather smooth. I've got just over 20,000 through my primary P30L and the trigger is just fine. Reset is over rated and you adjust to the added distance after a few hundred rounds.

Great point. :)

The trigger on my P30 L smoothed out quite a bit after 1,000 rounds.

usarmy15t86
03-08-11, 18:38
I've handled numerous USP designs, 45, 45C, 9, 40, and they don't seem to quite measure up to the design and functionality of the new P30. The moment you pick up a P30, you feel it. It might be slightly different than the USP45, but it isn't that much more to re-train your brain with. It's a very easy shooting pistol and it feels almost like it was made for your hand whenever you pick it up. I would highly recommend the P30 if you plan to do some serious shooting and want something that will last too. The USPs are out there in numbers though and come up for sale quite frequently. Figure out if the cost difference is worth it to you. I think once you look at it in depth, you'll end up going with the P30 ;) What's not to love?!

deeHKman
03-08-11, 19:07
The M9 and Glock 19 are going to be around for a very long time. My favorites are my USP's. The 1911 has been around 100 years and its stronger than ever. The P series HK's i'm sure feel and shoot great but my USP's have always been my favorites since they first came out. MY hands are xl so the ergo. factor is not a big deal. My next will be a USPc 9mm for carry. I like staying on the same platform. Any HK will be a fine choice so you really cannot go wrong. ;)

AJM0617
03-08-11, 22:43
So I have decided that tomorrow I am gonna get the HK45 and maybe later I will sell my USP 45 and get a used glock 19 along with USP 9. I still love the USP but I just dont see having 2 full size HKs in 45 ACP.. I had a USP 9 and I sold it.. I havent stop beating myself up for doing it.. I will update you guys tomorrow

John_Wayne777
03-09-11, 00:56
Speaking as a guy who has owned USPs and now owns two P30's, the difference between the two is night and day. The USP is a decent pistol but the ergonomics of the thing are sub-optimal. I recently had the chance to shoot a USP side by side with my P30 and the difference in my ability to put rounds on target with the USP vs. the P30 was significant.

A weapon that allows you to adjust important dimensions like the reach to the trigger makes a difference in how well you can use the weapon. You can get used to almost anything if you train enough on it, but it helps if the gun fits you. The USP was always too much of a brick with surfaces that were too slick for my taste. I carried one for a long time and it was a very accurate weapon, but ergonomically it was horrible. The P30 with the LEM trigger is light years beyond the USP. I don't know why H&K still makes the USP line, frankly. Their newer pistols are even more reliable, more durable, and a hell of a lot more user friendly.

Mr. Goodtimes
03-09-11, 13:21
I don't know why H&K still makes the USP line, frankly. Their newer pistols are even more reliable, more durable, and a hell of a lot more user friendly.

I heard it had to do with government contracts... No idea how much truth there is to that but it sort of makes sense.

deeHKman
03-09-11, 13:33
I am sure the P series HK's are more ergo friendly but with my handsize my USP's have always been my favorite handguns. Good for HK to capture the market share of women and men with small hands to be able to shoot the newer models. But to say for HK should stop making USP's makes absolute no sense since many LEA's still use them. Plus USP's are still very popular i like them alot. I might buy a P30 oneday but doubt it. Plus they have along way to go to prove long term reliability against the USP. I'm not one to jump on the flavor of the month club. But do trust HK to make a superb gun as always. The 1911 is 100 years old and still very popular like revolvers i see nobody saying these should not be made anymore, ;)

The word ergo. and best feeling gun i ever held by far and some say they notice a little difference so it is all so "Subjective" to each person. Hand size plays vital role on how any gun feels in a person's hand. The Glock gen.4 has made the glock a viable option for many people since its new changes. I still like my gen.3's i think that the gen.4 feels too small. The P30 in 9mm L would interest me for a carry gun but would like it in V1 like my USP's not into .40's. Plus the recoil reduction system in the USP's simply works my .45P+ feels mild and follow up shots are quicker due to this.

sL1m
03-09-11, 13:57
I owned both USPs and P30's. I've sold off all my USP's and replaced them with P30's. The newer ergos are what pushed me over.

deeHKman
03-09-11, 15:12
Hey guys, Im in the market on purchasing a 9mm HK.. USP 9 or P30L.. I've held both but only shot the USP.. the P30L is just a lil bit more comportble to hold but its really not enough to matter to me.. I own a USP 45 and I can shoot and handle it well.. so you guys have any suggestion or opinion between the two handguns? I have experience with USP but not with P30L.. but I normally have no problem shooting different handguns.. so anyone here have any experience shooting the USP 9 and P30L, let me know...

Thanks

I would try and shoot a P30 and buy what i liked you already have a USP .45 so you know that platform. Most are going by what they think and like for them not you, just my .02 Look at the HK forum and most will say the same. I have never read on that or any forum that HK should stop making the USP. :rolleyes:

gtmtnbiker98
03-09-11, 20:03
The USP isn't going anywhere soon; however, they have stopped manufacturing some of the upper-tier USP's. But I don't see the USP and the USP Compact's going anywhere, anytime soon. The USP still has a long tack record a lot going for it. I really enjoy my USP Compact .40 S&W, the damn thing is a tack driver.

lloydkristmas
03-09-11, 22:44
The USP Compact is a little smaller than the regular sized P30. The P30 is just a hair smaller than the full sized USP. I like the P30, its definately more ergonomic than the USP, but I went with the older model due to its smaller size for CCW

steve126a
04-12-11, 14:56
I like the P30 over the USPs. It is much more ergonomic.

deeHKman
04-12-11, 20:18
Very true i just bought a LNIB USPc .40 in stainless with more accessories than i could have ever hoped for. All my HK's shoot but this compact shoots as said like a tack driver that is right on. ;)
USP's even with the newer HK's still sell very well and still used by LEA's. I will buy a P30 oneday but not soon i have several HK's for now.

The USP isn't going anywhere soon; however, they have stopped manufacturing some of the upper-tier USP's. But I don't see the USP and the USP Compact's going anywhere, anytime soon. The USP still has a long tack record a lot going for it. I really enjoy my USP Compact .40 S&W, the damn thing is a tack driver.

deeHKman
04-12-11, 20:24
I went with the USPc .40 for the same reason's. Plus my compact came with a new R.Grizzle holster which is the best holster i've had by far. Plus i have alot of fullsize HK's now so a P30 will have to wait.

The USP Compact is a little smaller than the regular sized P30. The P30 is just a hair smaller than the full sized USP. I like the P30, its definately more ergonomic than the USP, but I went with the older model due to its smaller size for CCW

CyberM4
04-13-11, 09:47
They are both great pistols. Buy which feels best too you. I have the P30 in 9 MM and a USPc SS 40. You can't go wrong with either.

TinyCrumb
04-14-11, 01:43
http://d.pr/SALE+

Skyyr
04-14-11, 09:17
I prefer the USPs, mainly because I despise the P30's spidey-grips (and all finger-grooves, for that matter) and because I prefer the frame-mounted decocker of the USP vs the rear-mounted decocker (by the hammer) on the P30.