PDA

View Full Version : High power revolver control

TXBob
03-07-11, 14:44
Was out shooting my new SP101 and my S&W 629 refused to stay home. Both have sharp recoil on full power loads and the 44 mag in particular slammed into my hand hard eough that it is sore today- the center of my palm is tender\sore.

Im looking into some new grips for both, but is there anything else, like hand position, that can help? 38 spc and 44 spc were a breeze. Ironically the 44 special had more flash, 44 mag almost none. It seemed to be the metal backsyrap that was really smashing into my hand

Any thing to change besides grips. Both have the stock grips. Thinking x frame or pachymaker decellwrator for the 44, sp101 2inxh barrel, mayne some hogue

mark5pt56
03-07-11, 18:58
The Hogue and/or Pachmyer(spelling) would be a great improvement over stock wooden ones. Some wear gloves designed for this, have padded palm/web areas. I would say to either by or reload mild loads for practice and if using for defense, Speer-Gold Dot makes short barrel loads in both calibers. They are intended for self defense and for short barrel revolvers. If using them for a hunting back up, sight in with the full power loads and practice with a few.

What grip are you using? You can get a away with a similiar grip as used in a semi WITH LIGHT LOADS AND/OR SMALL CALIBERS, but don't try that with full power loads as the cylinder release really hurts when it takes off half of your knuckle:eek: plus the gas from the cylinder gap is not user friendly on any thumb/fingers near it:nono:

Dienekes
03-08-11, 00:03
Revolvers give you a fair range of options, but the physics is still there...best solution I found was to use medium frame DA .357 guns and a variation of Spegel stocks that fit me perfectly--and a hard grip. .357/125s are fairly stiff loads but qualification with them was just a good workout.

In the day I had a M29 4", and I did NOT find full loads any fun at all. In SA guns full loads were more tolerable. With advancing age/wisdom I find that 250 grains at 900 FPS suffices for anything I want to shoot. Up in Alaska I would go heavier. Better yet, have a rifle.

The SP might benefit from stocks that your hand likes as the recil is a lot less.

No such thing as a free lunch when it comes to power.

darr3239
03-08-11, 00:26
The 44 Mags. can kick hard. I have a 3 inch 629 and with full power loads it can be a handful, but still managable. You can find rubber type grips that totally cover the back strap for more cushion. For me they don't feel good in my hand and take my finger further away from the trigger. I use the original Hogue rubber grip, that came with the gun, which doesn't cover the back strap.

As to muzzle flash, that is related more to the type of powder loaded in the cartridge than anything else.

okie john
03-08-11, 00:45
If your gun is new enough, then X-frame grips will fit. They really take the sting out of a 44.

Okie John

bigghoss
03-08-11, 00:45
padded gloves help a lot

TXBob
03-08-11, 12:26
Thanks guys,

I keep reading that recoil is "perceived" and while I can shoot straight, that pain in my hand is "Real" and not "perceived" These were full power 44 mag 240 gr handloads at the end. I really can't notice a difference between 9,40,45,38,44 special. The 357 was pushing pretty hard, but that 44 was literally bashing my hand with full power loads. I didn't think that was a perception issue. And being self taught, there's always the chance, I'm holding the thing goofy. When I first shot IDPA, my right-hand thumb was pointing straight up (I'm a righty) so it's not out of the question that I'm a factor.

The SP101 is still a bit of a mystery, because I started with it so early in my session, I don't think there was much issue with pain in my hand, as I pulled out my M&P in the meantime and had one of the best sessions in a long time. .357 recoil was pretty sharp, and that gun is small. I was actually thinking about maybe some laser grips or something--that and I know ruger makes a "Strong" revolver, not just always a "comfortable" one.:cool: But I could keep the sights on target after recovery from recoil. 44 Mag the recoil did lift the gun sights off target when finished. There would need to be significant follow up time consumed

But 15 rounds of 44 was enough, I was starting to anticipate the recoil and pull low. Rather than develop bad habits, I just called it a day.

okie john
03-08-11, 12:34
Good call on stopping early with the big gun.

Which dash variant of the Model 29 are you using?

Okie John

TXBob
03-08-11, 13:04
I believe it is a 629-6. It is a round butt 629 classic circa 2001-2. I know its a pre-lock. I bought it April 2002 used from a dealer who had used it at like a SHOT show or something.

5 inch full lug, came with the Hogue Grips. Was going to use it in IDPA before the changed the rules for revolver barrels. (Shooting 44 special--I'm nuts, but not that nuts). I have an old M1917 colt that was a dream to shoot, but its a keepsake, and the deal on this one was awesome. I love my big-bore revolvers

okie john
03-08-11, 13:41
Hogues are brutal on a Smith 44--I used to have a five-inch 629-5 with them. I ended up with X-frame grips. They'll fit your gun, and they definitely work. Only S&W sells them, but they're less than $40.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765464_-1_758003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

The reduction in recoil is like going from a heavy duck load to a light trap load in a light 12-gauge.

Okie John

silentsod
03-11-11, 00:30
I find shooting a 629PD an uncomfortable experience, a heavy magnum like the regular 629 is not too bad if you're shooting with a good grip like Jerry Miculek's:

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shooting/shooting-usa/jerry-miculek-revolver-grip

spdldr
03-11-11, 11:55
Here is something to consider. When younger, I did a lot of full power shooting with a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk .44 magnum. Now I cannot shoot a standard Glock 19 without severe wrist pain. The Ruger recoil was a lot less unpleasant due to slippage than that of a S&W.

If I had known then what I know now, I never would have done that.