PDA

View Full Version : DD 1.5 Fixed Sight - QC

ejewels
03-07-11, 15:40
Hello,

So over a month ago I bought a DD 1.5 Fixed sight for my optic-less M4. I put it on and haven't looked back nor shot it. However last night, I looked closely and realized the large aperture hole wasn't drilled exactly in the center... it was off center quite a bit. Is this a problem? I realize I could sight it in but wouldn't compensating for the offset hole mess something up aim wise? The small aperture is centered, so seems to me if I went between the two, it would mess the windage up.

Unfortunately I don't have the box anymore nor receipt, so i can't return it if need be.

md519
03-07-11, 15:53
I've been wondering about DD's QC for quite some time now. I purchased the fixed rear BUIS and fixed front sight. The finish on them is atrocious. Doesn't look like they polished the parts before anodizing.

Got a 7.0 Lite Rail too, the finish is equally shitty. Looks all pock marked and just plain shitty.

Oh well, function over form I guess. Going to beat the **** out of the parts anyways.

ejewels
03-07-11, 15:58
if the sight works, i'll keep it, but it seems something like this might hinder performance. Anyones peep holes misaligned at all and they still use 'em?

ra2bach
03-07-11, 16:23
Hello,

So over a month ago I bought a DD 1.5 Fixed sight for my optic-less M4. I put it on and haven't looked back nor shot it. However last night, I looked closely and realized the large aperture hole wasn't drilled exactly in the center... it was off center quite a bit. Is this a problem? I realize I could sight it in but wouldn't compensating for the offset hole mess something up aim wise? The small aperture is centered, so seems to me if I went between the two, it would mess the windage up.

Unfortunately I don't have the box anymore nor receipt, so i can't return it if need be.

is it off left/right or up/down?

as for the receipt, I wouldn't worry about it. just call and if it's fubar, they'll fix or replace it.

ejewels
03-07-11, 16:25
Its to the right...

StopPolloition
03-07-11, 16:34
My A1.5 rear sight came with a fairly large scuff in the finish that was about 1/8" wide and at least an inch long, but it didn't really bother me that much. I also had a DD Omega 9 rail that had some serious machining marks. My Lite 12 rail was better, but not perfect either.

ejewels
03-07-11, 16:43
I just emailed midway customer service. I don't have the box, but i did order it a month ago and haven't even used it. I just noticed this now as I was planning on using it tonight... not anymore. I'm hoping they will exchange it.

TedG
03-07-11, 17:00
I replaced the Troy on my N4 with the DD1.5 and it is perfect.

Chef Jeff
03-07-11, 17:40
Good evening to all. I've been checking out the site for quite awhile now, decided to register, and got my ok, so here I am. I've been chompin' at the bit waiting to be able to join in on the conversations.
Well, anyway, back to the subject at hand, I took a good look at mine tonight after seeing your post, and by golly the 0-200 peep is a little off centered. Not by much. Although the large peep is stamped 0-200, there's no way I would use that aperture much past 25 yds.
I don't have the moving aperture issue with mine either. I believe that was mentioned in this forum back in oct. 2010. I've got one of the old ones with the logo on the right side only, although the serial number is pretty high (5-digit).
Needless to say I'm pretty happy with mine. I prefer the A-1 sight anyway. I could never find an A-2 that had a windage dial that you could breath on and it wouldn't move.

Redberens
03-07-11, 18:06
I could be totally wrong, but I thought the 0-2 sight was off center because it moves along the windage screw when flipped up, and this helps compensate for that slight movement. ??

opmike
03-07-11, 18:10
nevermind

Chef Jeff
03-07-11, 18:20
I could be totally wrong, but I thought the 0-2 sight was off center because it moves along the windage screw when flipped up, and this helps compensate for that slight movement. ??

I'm not sure about that, although it does make sense.
I will be replacing my aperture with the notch/peep aperture made by a company called Weapon Solutions out of Greencastle Ind.

shootist~
03-07-11, 18:22
I just emailed midway customer service. I don't have the box, but i did order it a month ago and haven't even used it. I just noticed this now as I was planning on using it tonight... not anymore. I'm hoping they will exchange it.

Why would you not go shoot it first to verify if it works correctly or not?

FYI - forum rules require you to contact the manufacturer for a solution - before starting a problem thread.

Jimbo45
03-07-11, 20:41

This is my understanding. All of my A2 apertures appear to be off center. I was always under the impression that they are supposed to be, due to the reason listed above.

Doc Safari
03-07-11, 21:27
My DD sight's large aperture is just slightly off center to the right as well.

For comparison, the large aperture on my Bravo Company carbine's carry handle A2 style sight is right in the center of the sight.

I agree you should verify whether or not the sight can be zeroed before considering it a problem.

Doc Safari
03-08-11, 08:57
UPDATE:

I didn't want to just edit my previous post because I thought a bump was appropriate here.

I contacted Daniel Defense and explained the situation to them and they are authorizing me to return it for an exchange.

Not only that, but also if I understood the representative correctly they are e-mailing me a UPS label so I don't even have to pay the shipping for the return!

The person I talked to was very helpful, didn't offer to argue with me at all, and stated that they had gotten back a few others with the same problem.

We all know that any company can have a defective product leave their shop once in a while, and Daniel Defense's attitude and eagerness to make it right makes me want to buy from them again.

ejewels
03-08-11, 09:34
Doc, thanks for posting. My sight is in the mail and midway will be sending me another one. If the same issue is present, thats it for me buying DD. BTW, my hole wasn't slightly off center, it was pretty bad.

kwelz
03-08-11, 09:42
Doc, that is SOP for Daniel Defense. If there is a problem, they fix it.

I am sad to hear that people are having these issues with DD products. I am personally a big fan. Although it does seem that the complaints are with only a couple specific products.

ra2bach
03-08-11, 09:48
UPDATE:

I didn't want to just edit my previous post because I thought a bump was appropriate here.

I contacted Daniel Defense and explained the situation to them and they are authorizing me to return it for an exchange.

Not only that, but also if I understood the representative correctly they are e-mailing me a UPS label so I don't even have to pay the shipping for the return!

The person I talked to was very helpful, didn't offer to argue with me at all, and stated that they had gotten back a few others with the same problem.

We all know that any company can have a defective product leave their shop once in a while, and Daniel Defense's attitude and eagerness to make it right makes me want to buy from them again.

this type of service is my experience with DD as well. good ol' Georgia boys who take pride in their work...

Doc Safari
03-14-11, 15:41
Well, after several people on this forum told me that the large aperture being offset a little to the right is normal, I e-mailed Daniel Defense to give them a heads up that the sight I sent back to them might be okay after all, and if it was indeed up to spec I would be happy to pay the shipping for them to send it back to me.

Just eyeballing it I thought it was way off, but it just goes to show that it's good to have someone actually "mic" it.

I just got off the phone with them. (They called me). They confirmed that the aperture is within spec even though it's a little to the right. As suspected, this is due to the fact that the cross piece is threaded and the rear sight "travels" a little and the aperture has to be a little offset to compensate.

The person at the other end of the phone said that this had been a learning experience for him, too. I offered to pay to have the sight shipped back, but they said not to worry about it. They are returning it on their dime even though in my opinion they certainly didn't have to.

Great customer service, and I will never forget this for next time. :cool:

ejewels
03-17-11, 08:22
So I received a replacement DD 1.5 rear sight from Midway yesterday, and sure enough, the hole was a little off center to the right. This just goes to show that it really is supposed to be off center. Either that or someone is playing a cruel joke on me :)

01tundra
03-17-11, 09:27
It's supposed to be that way according to DD.

I spoke to them yesterday regarding this after finding that mine was the same way. They did confirm that the aperture is offset to account for the rotation on the threaded spindle as it's flipped from one position to the other.

With mine sighted in the sight is sitting pretty far to the left, but not maxed out. If you look closely, you'll see that even though the sight is sitting to the left, the aperture itself is actually centered on the bore, since it was drilled offset right.

rojocorsa
03-18-11, 00:30
Is this phenomenon unique only to this specific style of BUIS?

usmcvet
03-18-11, 00:59
It should be anything using the A2 aperture. If you have a Troy or have seen one picture how their aperture is not at a ninety degree angle like an A2 is.