PDA

View Full Version : Does barrel length affect barrel life?

EsquireMagnum
03-07-11, 17:08
Simple question. Assuming everything else is equal (ammo, type of shooting, barrel material etc) does barrel length have any affect on barrel life? For the purposes of this question assume the "long" AR is a 20" and the "short" is a 16".

ZRH
03-07-11, 17:32
I would imagine long barrels are easier to bend if you use your rifle as a crowbar, or a step. Most wear (from shooting) occurs directly in front of the chamber though (throat erosion).

markm
03-07-11, 19:32
Really depends. I mean... if you're burning through high volumes of ammo, the throat is going to go on either at the same rate.

On the other hand.. if you're shooting it easy to where the throat isn't getting abused, the headspace on a 20 will last longer.

The inside of the barrel extension gets worn in by the back of the bolt lugs, and since a 20's chamber pressure should be lower a unlock, I'd guess that the bolt and barrel extension would wear easier.

RyanB
03-07-11, 20:15
Bigger gas ports nearer the chamber erode faster.

bkb0000
03-07-11, 20:36
Bigger gas ports nearer the chamber erode faster.

especially if there's a lot of bore between the gas port and the muzzle.

aside from gas port, though, i'll concur with the statement that it's going to depend entirely on how you shoot the gun, and have little to do with the overall length.

EsquireMagnum
03-07-11, 22:36
So what I'm hearing is that in a lab the extra length might make a difference, but for real world purposes its wont?

bkb0000
03-07-11, 22:37
So what I'm hearing is that in a lab the extra length might make a difference, but for real world purposes its wont?

in the real world, you just get what you want, and shoot le shit out of it.

it's easy to over-think this stuff... try not to, you'll have more fun

RyanB
03-07-11, 23:08
I know that the Crane PDFs I have seen put MK18 barrels deadlined before M4 barrels, so I'm inclined to believe they do wear faster.