PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the S&W Bodyguard 38

Patriotme
03-07-11, 20:13
What are your opinions on the S&W Bodyguard 38?
Reliable, accurate or POS? I'm got a couple of S&W handguns and have always liked their revolvers. I'm unfamiliar with the Bodyguard 38 and would like to know if it's worth $440 (local sale). LCR's are going for $400 on sale in my area and I've been leaning towards the Ruger. This will be another CCW gun (because you can't have too many).

seb5
03-07-11, 20:30
I gather you are talking about the new one more like a Centennial vs. the old "bodyguard, humpback"? I have a friend with one and have shot it. I very much prefer the S&W to the Ruger revolvers but that is mostly because I've carried one for the last 20 years. Getting used to the new release would be a challenge and I'm ambivalent towards lasers. Until the LCR Ruger had never made a lightweight revolver. For me the small revolver is a back up and occasional off duty carry in the summer so weight is one variable I can control by careful purchasing. Generally the Rugers have been robust. I wish I could comment on the LCR but other than playing with them can't offer much.

DaFadda
03-07-11, 20:41
I own the SW model 49 airweight bodyguard. very concealable, recoil is manageable. It's the Missus' gun. (Hope that's politically correct). All she needs or wants is a belly gun, and the SW fits the bill.

karlDS
03-07-11, 20:56
Good friend of mine pick one up for his wife and brings it to the range when we go. I shot very well with it. It's a keeper. I can't see you going wrong.

OMD
03-07-11, 21:02
I prefer the centennials over the SA/DA option on the shrouded hammer models. I'm talking about the older ones, not the new versions mentioned above. You can use the centennials exactly like the shrouded bodyguards if you don't get a DAO model. Like all the good S&Ws, you can control that last bit of travel before drop quite easily with practice. In a self defense situation SA just doesn't matter. And you can't beat the snag-free operation of the centennials.

deadlast
03-07-11, 21:49
I've got an old model 49 bodyguard I was thinking about up grading to the"new" bodyguard but I think I will wait until all the bugs are out.

kjdoski
03-07-11, 22:15
I'll assume you're talking about the "new" polymer Bodyguard, not the "old" metal-frame "shrouded hammer" bodyguards.

I haven't shot one, but I've played with several pretty extensively, and I can tell you that I'm VERY unlikely to ever add one to the stable. The design is OK, though it makes me sad that S&W had to so blatantly copy Ruger's LCR (though that seems to be a S&W trend, with the new copies of the Judge...).

I think the cylinder release latch is a disaster, and completely unique from any other revolver design, meaning extensive training to "unlearn" everything you may or may not have previously known about loading a round gun. The latch-mounted laser is an interesting idea, but, again, the button is placed in such a way that I can't possibly see hitting it rapidly on the draw. I've also got concerns about what fumbling around for the laser switch might do with the cylinder release latch under stress, but I can't see putting these two controls into one part!

I honestly don't see what this revolver does that any of S&W's proven J-frames don't.

Regards,

Kevin

NavyDavy55
03-07-11, 22:45
I handled and shot both the bodyguard and the S&W 442, I bought the 442.

SmokeJumper
03-07-11, 23:40
I own and carry a S&W442. The new Bodyguard that I looked at kinda reminded me of a cheap plastic cap gun. It was definitely not on par with the Airweight series.

Dienekes
03-07-11, 23:45
Just an opinion, but IMHO the 442 is simply the best of the breed--stone reliable, simple, smooth as a used bar of soap. Of course, mine only has ten years of daily carry so far. The other family Airweight J frame is a dehorned M37 with 35 years continual duty to its credit.

These little guns are pretty much the gold standard.

Patriotme
03-08-11, 00:41
I've got an old model 49 bodyguard I was thinking about up grading to the"new" bodyguard but I think I will wait until all the bugs are out.

What bugs?

charmcitycop
03-08-11, 08:14

lewis
03-08-11, 16:11
I had a new bodyguard for about a week. It is a stone cold piece of junk. The problem isn't the cylinder release or the laser, it's the new system used to lock up the cylinder. My gun would consistantly fail to rotate the cylinder on the first trigger pull after closing the cylinder. I took it back to the store and tried three others that were on the shelf I could replicate the failure in every single gun. I dumped it and went back to traditional airweights.

SWAT Lt.
03-09-11, 17:17
I have handled, but not fired, the new Bodyguard .38s. I am extremely unimpressed and would much rather have a no lock 442/642.

Grim Fandango
03-09-11, 17:49
I bought the new Bodyguard .38 last month. My dealer got one when they first came out, and I thought it would be a good gun for pocket carry. I held off on buying one for a while, then in January I rented a 642 to shoot, just to see if I even liked shooting a gun that size. I'd never shot a revolver before, and I disliked the 642 enough that I questioned the logic of buying the Bodyguard when I didn't like a similar gun. I decided to take a chance and got the Bodyguard anyway.*

The grip fits my hand much better than the 642, and since I'm not coming in with previous J frame experience, I didn't find the top mounted cylinder release to be awkward to get used to. I don't have a problem with the laser's activation method, either. It's easy to activate and deactivate with your thumb while keeping the gun up and on target, however, if you want to have the laser active as soon as you draw, then a CT style setup like the LCR might be a better option for you.*

Recoil seemed manageable with 135 gr. +p GoldDots, however, the indoor range I went to doesn't let you shoot hollow points, and I was only able to talk them into letting me shoot a box through to verify function and rough zero. I'm satisfied with the Bodyguard, and carry it with me everyday.*It doesn't fit all the way down into my jeans pocket, but it's deep enough that a shirt or jacket/sweatshirt cover it without a problem. Deeper pockets would solve the issue as well, obviously.

Iyyobr
03-14-11, 17:33
I went to gander mountion to buy a BG 380 a few weeks ago. I really liked the built in lazer it didn't feel too bad. I went with my girl to the mall to read up on them while she shopped to make my final choice. After reading about how some of the parts flew off abou 15 feet while shooting and they don't like to eat any ammo you give it. I ended up leaving with the also new Walther PK380 it's a little bigger but fits better to my large hands. It has a great track record is also very light and a lil over an inch thick. The slide is so easy to pull it almost feels like a toy. On a scale of 1-10 the recoil would be a 1-2. It was made for pure CC in mind. Shoots great no malfunctions 500 rounds of Lawman fed. It's also made with the help of S&W. Hope that helps

Whoops just relized you were asking about the twin revolver. The .38 srry I was l

buyforce
03-14-11, 17:47
I own/carry a 642. I've shot the new body guard. Hands down 642 in all aspects. Shot an lcr, however it was a 357. Nicer piece than the bg, however chance of a second shot anywhere near the intended target is not going to happen.

Buckshot TX
03-16-11, 20:27
On the new style Bodyguard, the two big BOLOS to me are that the cylinder only locks to the frame at one point & that you have to break your grip to activate the laser. Plus the cylinder turns the wrong direction if it turns at all (I've handled more than one of them that intermittantly failed to engage the weird ratchet/sprocket mechanism on the first trigger pull).
S&W threw out most of what they already knew about designing the most successful DA revolvers in the world just to be "terminally unique". :rolleyes:

Magic_Salad0892
03-17-11, 02:31
Colt Detective is a sweet choice for a compact revolver. If you can find one.

m91196
03-17-11, 04:43
It took 5 BG .38's to keep a stage running at the IDPA Nationals due to laser issues.
Seems battery life is not good.
Had many experienced shooters, both round gun and bottom feeders, "short stroke" the gun.

Buy a 442 and a CT LG.

brushy bill
03-17-11, 22:08
Absolutely nothing on a 442. Why bother?

Patriotme
03-18-11, 05:03
Thanks for the input.
I checked out the new Bodyguard at a local store. I didn't like the feel of the grip but it would be ok for a carry gun. The laser didn't impress me but it would have been ok if it was in a different location and more easily activated. The cylinder release was not something that I cared for. The trigger was pretty decent though. I just wasn't very impressed with this gun.
I compared it to a Taurus 85 and a few others to check out the weight and the trigger. The Taurus was $100 cheaper than the Bodyguard but I had the money for something better. I didn't like the trigger on the Taurus. I've got a couple of Taurus's already and have had no problems with the brand. I just wasn't impressed with the Model 85.
I've got a S&W Airweight already but used one at the shop to compare weight and trigger pull. I prefer this gun over the Bodyguard. The trigger wasn't anything to brag about but it's ok. I liked the weight and the grips were ok.
I was leaning towards the LCR and this is what I bought. The grip feels better to me, the trigger is really good and the gun just feels good. It looks well made. The HKS 36A speedloaders that the J frames take work but I wouldn't say they work well with this gun. I'm looking into ordering some from 5Star. I haven't got to the range yet but hope to get out this weekend.

Buckshot TX
03-18-11, 17:40
Colt Detective is a sweet choice for a compact revolver. If you can find one.

Great guns until they break down - kinda like owning a Jag XKE, lotsa fun until you need a qualified mechanic & parts!