PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Decide When You have Been In The Army Too Long???

DragonDoc
03-07-11, 21:40
Five months ago I was wondering what I should do about my career. I had a slot to be an AIT Platoon Sergeant at Fort Sam Houston. I found the job unappealing due to several factors (age and old bones) and it went away. I was laying on the coach trying to sleep after another night shift at BAMC when I got a call from the Company. I was on orders to an aviation brigade at Hood. Translation - I was heading to an Air Ambulance company. I went to the Flight Medic course in 1995 and never was assigned to a Dust Off unit (despite being on orders for one in '02). Now i'm geeked up to be in a Dust Off unit and headed down range. The big question is what do I do next year when we return? Stay, try to get another assignment, or retire. I'll be 43 and working on year 25 when we get back. Thoughts from those who have been where I am going.

Smuckatelli
03-07-11, 22:34
What is your rank?

What retirement program do you fall under?

What do you plan on doing in the civilian world?

warpigM-4
03-07-11, 23:16
when you post a thread like this to ask ,you been there to long:D(joking)If you got your 20 years in your GTG in my book you have served your country well.Thank you!!!!

Smuckatelli
03-07-11, 23:50
when you post a thread like this to ask ,you been there to long:D(joking)If you got your 20 years in your GTG in my book you have served your country well.Thank you!!!!

He is GTG but there are a few things that play into it. He could cut the embilical cord in September and later find out that if he stayed in for one more month he could have brought home $300 extra a month.

DragonDoc
03-08-11, 13:09
What is your rank?

What retirement program do you fall under?

What do you plan on doing in the civilian world?

SFC

Choice

I haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up. I am a medic so I could always do medicine.

czydj
03-08-11, 13:46
I haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up. I am a medic so I could always do medicine.

Thanks for all your service... FWIW, we have to grow older but we don't have to grow up... :D

Spurholder
03-08-11, 15:06
SFC

Choice

Hell, yes...pop smoke and use the post-9/11 GI Bill to go to PA School (or Nursing School).

If I was a 68-series guy, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Littlelebowski
03-08-11, 15:36
When it stops being fun.

kaltesherz
03-08-11, 18:07
Hell, yes...pop smoke and use the post-9/11 GI Bill to go to PA School (or Nursing School).

This. I'm in school now and it's friggin' awesome. Kids / civilians say some pretty hilarious shit but in the end it's great to learn something new and rub off on others. Or up against others. Whatever.

DragonDoc
03-08-11, 19:13
When it stops being fun.

Well it was heading the no fun direction until I was sent to Hood. Now I'm surrounded by wise cracking Captains and Jr. NCOs, Young warrant officers that seem to be in the taking it all in stage as well as Crusty old warrants that show off their personal photos posing with Stormin Norman. The fun has returned. It is hard work and long days but I still love it. It is kinda fun being the old guy with the sage advice. I can't wait to get downrange and do some medicine.

Army Chief
03-08-11, 19:20
Stick around a while, Doc. The MEDEVAC company could be a welcome change of pace.

I'm trying to make some of the same decisions, and speaking as the guy that assigned most of your pilots to Hood in the first place, it isn't always a great deal of fun, but it is a thing that is still worth doing.

AC

ThirdWatcher
03-08-11, 19:52
Well it was heading the no fun direction until I was sent to Hood. Now I'm surrounded by wise cracking Captains and Jr. NCOs, Young warrant officers that seem to be in the taking it all in stage as well as Crusty old warrants that show off their personal photos posing with Stormin Norman. The fun has returned. It is hard work and long days but I still love it. It is kinda fun being the old guy with the sage advice. I can't wait to get downrange and do some medicine.

It's been 35 years since I left the Army but I gotta tell you, they couldn't pry me out of an assignment like that.

Watrdawg
03-08-11, 20:57

These were my exact thoughts also. I have a buddy that didn't make it into Med School back in 98. He didn't have a clue on what he wanted to do. We were talking and I mentioned PA school. 2years of PA school and 10 years later he is partners with 2 MD's in 6 Urgent Care centers around town.

usmcvet
03-09-11, 05:22
PA school would be an outstanding option for you. I know the PA's at my doctors office are outstanding and they make good money too. I would start exploring the application process to become a PA.

Side note. Im glad GTG still means Good To Go here! I was informed in text lingo it means got to go! Damn kids and needed to type G2G!

Good luck Doc and thanks for your continued service.

kry226
03-09-11, 06:29
Something else to consider, Doc, is what your prospects are for MSG. If it's feasible that you might soon get promoted, it may be worth hanging on just a little bit longer for the better retirement.

Also, since you are under CHOICE, the assumption is that you didn't take the $30k bonus at 15 years for the 40% retirement, correct?