PDA

View Full Version : OCSO issue ammunition?

ffchewy17
03-08-11, 18:27
1st post on M4carbine. I am a recreational shooter. Currently employed with a large central florida city fire department for 7 years. I have delt with a few GSW while on duty. Being an avid shooter the trauma caused by these wounds led me to research the effects of bullets and bullet design. I am a noob when it comes to the world of ballistics.

Now to the question: I was curious what the current issue handgun ammo was for Orange County (Florida) Sherriff's Office?

This question stemmed from the in the line of duty death of Deputy Brandon Coates (RIP). It was stated on 3/8/2011 by 2 news sources that OCSO would be changing there current issue ammo due to the fact that Deputy Coates (RIP) issue ammo did not penetrate the suspects heavy clothing.

I am in no way down playing or trying to lay blame on Deputy Coates (RIP) or OCSO. I am just curious if anyone else has any more info on the ammo used by the deputy in the above shooting

thank you

Palmguy
03-08-11, 18:40
Issue pistol is the G21. IIRC, issued ammo is Speer Gold Dot. I'll verify tonight or tomorrow.

ffchewy17
03-08-11, 18:53
Thanks for the reply. Im not sure how accurate the news report was, but it was reported by multiple sources.

Shawn Dodson
03-08-11, 19:00
The TASER probes fired by Deputy Coates did not penetrate the suspect's coat. As a result the agency is changing to a different TASER cartridge that is supposed to penetrate heavy clothing better.

It's the TASER cartridge that's being changed not the handgun ammo.

See the news video report - http://www.wesh.com/news/27116195/detail.html

ffchewy17
03-08-11, 19:06
My mistake. Thanks for all the info.

Palmguy
03-08-11, 20:42
I guess it's irrelevant now but if you were still curious, it is in fact Speer GD.

BufordTJustice
03-09-11, 20:06
I am a deputy at OCSO.

Gold dot in all calibers (G21 being primary issue handgun).

The article was denoting the transition from the silver blast door (21ft) taser cartridge to the green blast door (25ft) taser cartridge. The 25ft cartridge has longer metal probes to allow for the penetration of thicker clothing.

Brandon was a stand-up guy. I was at his funeral as well. It was a moving occasion with much solidarity showed by many other agencies from the rest of the state and the country.

ffchewy17
03-09-11, 20:35
Good info on the taser cartridges. I was mistaken on the replacement of the carry ammo. From all who work in the downtown area we were sorry for his loss.

ST911
03-10-11, 13:34
Comment on the Taser aspect, and only the Taser...

I've often wondered why anyone uses anything less than the 25' XP cartridge, regardless of climate or seasonal norms. Folks on the northern tier are used to dealing with heavily insulated bad guys in the winter, but bikers wear leather and mopes are often layered, nationwide.

Beat Trash
03-10-11, 15:16
Comment on the Taser aspect, and only the Taser...

I've often wondered why anyone uses anything less than the 25' XP cartridge, regardless of climate or seasonal norms. Folks on the northern tier are used to dealing with heavily insulated bad guys in the winter, but bikers wear leather and mopes are often layered, nationwide.

Money.

I believe the cartridges are around $25 each. My agency was one of the first to adopt the 26X Taser. As new cartridges were invented we changed. There have been several changes since the original cartridge. The 25' cartridge with the longer barbs weren't originally offered.

As a Relief Sergeant, I have to respond to document any use of force, to include a taser deployment. The taser is a good tool, but like all tools, it doesn't always have full effect (no matter what the salesman may tell you). You always must have a fall back plan and be ready to go to "Plan B"