PDA

View Full Version : Blue Force Gear Redi-Mod installation issues

kaltesherz
03-08-11, 19:53
I just picked up a BFG Redi-mod and am having issues installing it. When I installed it, it automatically depressed the bolt lock. Here's some pictures showing it. Also when installed a B.A.D. Lever won't work without some serious filing. I can't tell if I'm seriously screwing something up (which is what the problem usually is) or if I've got a defective one. FYI it's an LMT lower.
Any help?
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/003-5.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/001-4.jpg

Evil Bert
03-08-11, 20:41
You may have it mounted too tight which may be causing it to bind against the catch.

Try watching this if you haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeqvNvdM8iY

kaltesherz
03-08-11, 20:56
You may have it mounted too tight which may be causing it to bind against the catch.

Try watching this if you haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeqvNvdM8iY

I dunno how I could get it "too tight", the only way I can get it to not press on the catch is to have no tension on it at all (no screws).

I already saw the video, thanks though. Anyone else have any ideas?

Kyle Defoor
03-08-11, 20:59
When they cut away the metal to lighten it, it sometimes wraps in the process. Remember, it's not designed to be that way, even though it does work and is a good idea for some and a have to for competition dudes.

I've installed about 30-35 of these - Here's how to fix: Install as per instructions, and get to the point you're at now. Put a mag in the redi-mod.

Take a 8-10", sturdy flathead screwdriver and wedge it between the body of the redi-mod and your carbine at the point in front of the bolt release. Your screwdriver will be contacting your carbine on the rail, in front of where an EOTech would be. If you are worried about any surface damage put some blue painter's tape down.

Use leverage to SLIGHTLY bend the entire redi-mod away from the mag release button. You may have to move the screwdriver around a bit. Coming in from just behind the bolt release is sometimes necessary too.

You want to bend the redi-mod out enough that when you push the mag release button it doesn't activate it. Confirm with a mag in your carbine. This is assuming it's a gen 2 redi-mag, not a gen 1 (which automatically dumps both) which it almost has to be if you bought from BFG.

It's only metal, so just like in the chopper world - don't go crazy and you can always bend it back/forward/more/less.

Hope that helps,

K

kaltesherz
03-08-11, 21:23
When they cut away the metal to lighten it, it sometimes wraps in the process. Remember, it's not designed to be that way, even though it does work and is a good idea for some and a have to for competition dudes.

I've installed about 30-35 of these - Here's how to fix: Install as per instructions, and get to the point you're at now. Put a mag in the redi-mod.

Take a 8-10", sturdy flathead screwdriver and wedge it between the body of the redi-mod and your carbine at the point in front of the bolt release. Your screwdriver will be contacting your carbine on the rail, in front of where an EOTech would be. If you are worried about any surface damage put some blue painter's tape down.

Use leverage to SLIGHTLY bend the entire redi-mod away from the mag release button. You may have to move the screwdriver around a bit. Coming in from just behind the bolt release is sometimes necessary too.

You want to bend the redi-mod out enough that when you push the mag release button it doesn't activate it. Confirm with a mag in your carbine. This is assuming it's a gen 2 redi-mag, not a gen 1 (which automatically dumps both) which it almost has to be if you bought from BFG.

It's only metal, so just like in the chopper world - don't go crazy and you can always bend it back/forward/more/less.

Hope that helps,

K

Kyle, we can hop back in the Mystery Machine 'cause this shit is SOLVED!

Sure enough it was bent, a little elbow grease and not only does it mount right, but the B.A.D works too. Man this is a slick set-up, I've only tried 3 or 4 mag changes and it's already a cinch and uber fast. That was definitely $200 well spent... thanks again for the help!

Ak44
03-08-11, 22:13

HAHA I've never heard that one before :D

cbyrd556
03-09-11, 07:32

Now that get's my vote for a sig worthy qoute. Glad to see you got it fixed.

TurretGunner
12-12-12, 12:44
Are these still made? Been looking for one for a few months.

I have used them before and they are great for what they do.

No one else seems to make anything similar so I dont know why i cant find them anymore.

kaltesherz
12-12-12, 14:19
Pretty sure they stopped making them awhile ago, but I see them regularly on EE's

Kain
12-12-12, 19:47
I think they have stopped making them, but Redi mag as produced an Aluminium version that I believe is even lighter then the redi mod.