PDA

View Full Version : Advanced LIBYAN REBEL combat tactics...

Rmplstlskn
03-08-11, 21:05
FROM THIS NEWS THREAD... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1364166/Libya-Gaddafi-bombards-rebels-Ras-Lanouf-5-air-strikes.html)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/08/article-0-0D84A0AB000005DC-655_634x441.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/08/article-0-0D858226000005DC-563_306x423.jpg

Wonder if the safety is on? Idiot photographer bullet stop...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/08/article-1364166-0D86F2EB000005DC-89_634x444.jpg

Rmpl

J-Dub
03-08-11, 21:10
1st pic: if you're going to look directly in the sun, atleast pull the shades down

2nd pic: Hey, atleast he'll die comfy

3rd pic: Maybe it was prayer time and he was late for the party (see guy in background)

SteyrAUG
03-08-11, 21:39
Hell that is special forces quality technique compared to what was seen in Monrovia.

:D

sandman99and9
03-08-11, 21:54
What, no combat roll ??

S.M.

LHS
03-08-11, 22:07
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/08/article-0-0D84A0AB000005DC-655_634x441.jpg
[/IMG]

Rmpl

Next-level anti-aircraft maneuver!

I saw an uncropped version of this photo on MSN a day or two ago, and the truck in the background has a DShK on the back. Why this guy is using a .30-cal MG instead of the big gun boggles my mind. Then again, are either of them all that effective against modern aircraft?

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-08-11, 22:13
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/08/article-0-0D858226000005DC-563_306x423.jpg

Rmpl

Frickn' armchair commandos.

Magic_Salad0892
03-08-11, 22:53

That's awesome.

He's a lazy prick.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/08/article-1364166-0D86F2EB000005DC-89_634x444.jpg

He looks like he tripped.

Littlelebowski
03-09-11, 06:44
What if it was a helo and they were ****ing doing everything they can NOT to die?

Bullshit armchair quarterbacking. Stupid Libyan rebels, fighting for their freedom in a freedom not approved by M4C users!

chadbag
03-09-11, 07:27
Interesting to find a FAL in the mix.

TOrrock
03-09-11, 07:53
Interesting to find a FAL in the mix.

Lots of FAL's in Libya from pre-coup times.

rubberneck
03-09-11, 08:01
What if it was a helo and they were ****ing doing everything they can NOT to die?

Bullshit armchair quarterbacking. Stupid Libyan rebels, fighting for their freedom in a freedom not approved by M4C users!

I was talking to my wife about the fighting and she said kidding that if that happened here all the government would have to do is take out every local Starbucks and half the people in this country would surrender. As stupid as those people look in those pictures they are willing to die for their freedom and for that they have my respect.

sadmin
03-09-11, 08:46
There is also a cool picture of a guy with a Beretta M12s; I have always liked the look of those. I didnt know they were floating around those parts.

Littlelebowski
03-09-11, 08:52
I was talking to my wife about the fighting and she said kidding that if that happened here all the government would have to do is take out every local Starbucks and half the people in this country would surrender. As stupid as those people look in those pictures they are willing to die for their freedom and for that they have my respect.

Exactly.

Rmplstlskn
03-09-11, 11:31

Dude, you can't see the humor in those pics? Same way the Monrovia pics brought tears to our eyes...

Too many people standing and milling around in the background to be a battle for life and death... Don't make it into something it is not. I can't help those muslims love to shoot good ammo into the air...

Rmpl

Skyyr
03-09-11, 12:54
This thread is a great indicator of the average person's ability to follow-through and read before making a conclusion. Great job, jackasses, you're making fun of people who are fighting for their freedom because their government would rather kill them than listen to their protests.

For those who were too lazy to research and find out what was going on in the photos:

Libyan rebel fighters run for cover as shells explode nearby in the under-siege town of Bin Jawad:

Others lay on the ground and fired into the air as Gaddafi's jets roared overhead:

Oh, and guess what? They actually managed to shoot down a jet that was bombing them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P2Tj9dCNW4&feature=player_embedded).

Each and every one of those guys has more testosterone in their body than the entire collective of armchair commandos poking fun at them in this thread. God forbid that we should ever experience something similar, but if we did, I'd take one of them over ten of you who think that there's something funny about them trying to survive while being outgunned and outnumbered (while fighting for their freedom, no less).

Rmplstlskn
03-09-11, 13:12
Each and every one of those guys has more testosterone in their body

Testosterone, sure it's there. BRAINS, not much present... Give me someone with BOTH... Which is why we are different than them... You can have them, as long as I get the ones who know about cover, concealement, and if lacking that, at least suitable weapons support and use of weapon sights...

I read it, and observed the photos... I stand by my belief, hyperbole text by reporters not withstanding, that the pics do not show a struggle warranting the observed folly... unless they are truly that primitive.

Rmpl

SteyrAUG
03-09-11, 13:46
This thread is a great indicator of the average person's ability to follow-through and read before making a conclusion. Great job, jackasses, you're making fun of people who are fighting for their freedom because their government would rather kill them than listen to their protests.

For those who were too lazy to research and find out what was going on in the photos:

Libyan rebel fighters run for cover as shells explode nearby in the under-siege town of Bin Jawad:

Others lay on the ground and fired into the air as Gaddafi's jets roared overhead:

Oh, and guess what? They actually managed to shoot down a jet that was bombing them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P2Tj9dCNW4&feature=player_embedded).

Each and every one of those guys has more testosterone in their body than the entire collective of armchair commandos poking fun at them in this thread. God forbid that we should ever experience something similar, but if we did, I'd take one of them over ten of you who think that there's something funny about them trying to survive while being outgunned and outnumbered (while fighting for their freedom, no less).

And yet most of the criticisms remain completely valid.

Skyyr
03-09-11, 13:56
And yet most of the criticisms remain completely valid.

True, but then again few of them are professional soldiers, yet they are being criticized as such. I'd like to see some of the members here attempt to it cool and calm (and look good in the process) with a bunker-buster going off 50yds away.

Rmplstlskn
03-09-11, 14:51
with a bunker-buster going off 50yds away. LOL! Bunker-buster? Please....

BrianS
03-09-11, 14:55
I remember seeing pics of Soviet infantry units laying on their backs and spraying AK's in the air. This is the same kind of philosophy of just putting a bunch of lead in the air and hoping to get lucky.

We should hurry up and decide if we are gonna do a no fly zone.

BTW, I really wish we could decide if his name is Qadaffi or Gadaffi and spell accordingly. This is starting to be like the Osama/Usama nonsense.

Rmplstlskn
03-09-11, 15:02
We should hurry up and decide if we are gonna do a no fly zone.

I see the military is setting fire to the oil wells... It will not get any prettier from here... It is about to go to hell...

I hope we go NOWHERE near that place... Let the other Arab countries there solve there own problems... It will only SUCK US IN further and set off the "read it, believe it, do it" muslims in the area...

update: Just left a voice message for my Senate and Rep in DC, as well as White House, to keep OUT of Libya and a no-fly zone...

Rmpl

rickrock305
03-09-11, 15:23
Which is why we are different than them...

I think the difference is they're willing to fight for their freedom while most of us are just going to talk about it.

Mac5.56
03-09-11, 16:04
Exactly.

Agreed as well.

Also think about if this country did have to fight again for its freedom. Imagine some of the asshat shit we would see when people who were just whipping the dust from the eyes and starting to resist! Hell at least these people aren't on average 100 pounds over weight like what I see when I go to Target.

Mac5.56
03-09-11, 16:05
I see the military is setting fire to the oil wells... It will not get any prettier from here... It is about to go to hell...

Do you have a link, especially with photos? I have been waiting for them to do this. Seemed like a natural step for a crack pot dictator to take, especially since it's been used before...

Rmplstlskn
03-09-11, 16:11
On the drudge...

UK DailyMail ~ Libyan Oil Fires (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1364469/Gaddafi-blows-Libyas-oil-pipes-tanks-turned-civilians.html)

So much for clean air in that area... I thought this one fitting... Oil Smoke & daisy's...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/09/article-1364469-0D8B2FFC000005DC-769_634x423.jpg

Rmpl

Thomas M-4
03-09-11, 16:28
Considering that they started out throwing rocks and now they have rifle's , GPMG's and light AA guns. I say its pretty impressive. I will also point out they are in a DESERT there is no place to hide or to take cover not to mention [If my geography is right] there is only 1 maybe 2 highways that cross the country makes for a fairly easy target for aircraft don't you think?

SteyrAUG
03-09-11, 16:39
True, but then again few of them are professional soldiers, yet they are being criticized as such. I'd like to see some of the members here attempt to it cool and calm (and look good in the process) with a bunker-buster going off 50yds away.

Well like I said, compared to what was seen in Monrovia, these guys are advanced.

And I suspect if forced into the same circumstances, a LOT of internet experts would rise to the occasion. Necessity and hardship has a way of producing such men.

I also don't think anyone is criticizing the men or their cause, they are just questioning some of the methods and tactics.

500grains
03-09-11, 16:43
I give a thumbs up to anyone who is willing to fight for freedom. However, personally I do not know what the Libyans are fighting for. Maybe they are fighting for a theocracy. Maybe they are fighting for better wages. Maybe they are just bored and poor, and idle hands make trouble.

When Russia had its revolution, it appeared that the poor had risen up to establish a more egalitarian system. But the man of steel (Stalin) ended up gaining power, establishing a ruthless dictatorship and executed everyone he suspected of not supporting him (50 million dead Russians).

When China had its revolution, it appeared that the poor peasants had risen up to achieve equitable land distribution. But the leader of the peasants (Mao) started off by executing over a million landlords, and then engaged in idiotic economic programs that resulted in the deaths of 30 million from starvation, not to mention the labor camps, Cultural Revolution, etc.

When Cambodia had its revolution (2 million dead = 20 percent of the population), all property was abolished, everyone had to move out of the cities to the countryside, parents and children had to live separately because parents were tainted by capitalism, and anyone with more than a high school education was executed. The entire country dumbed down by about 20 I.Q. points. Note that the western intellectuals of the 1970s approved of the Khmer Rouge revolution.

So although Ghadaffi is a bad boy, I will take a wait and approach. I also note that the so-called intellectuals of today approve of the Egyptian and Libyan revolutions. Could the intellectuals be wrong again this time?

Rmplstlskn
03-09-11, 17:20
So although Ghadaffi is a bad boy, I will take a wait and approach.

That is my position... Between the chants of "alu akbar" (seen in Egypt & Libya) and "freedom" signs (in Egypt mainly, have not seen this in Libya), I have no clue what they want, why and who is leading it... But I suspect more in a way of Palestine electing Hamas...

There is not one American life worth that kind of revolution...

Rmpl

Phazuka
03-09-11, 18:06
Frickn' armchair commandos.

Prime example of Libyan Ack Ack.

variablebinary
03-09-11, 20:24
Great job, jackasses, you're making fun of people who are fighting for their freedom

How the hell do you know what they are fighting for? For all you know they are fighting for Sharia, and the 13th imam.

Iranians fought for "freedom".

This is how they defined freedom, so let's not be so quick to back any dog in this fight. Both sides could be shit heads worthy of F18's and Marines at the end of the day.

http://www.iransara.info/Tazi__Mullahs.jpg

Phazuka
03-09-11, 21:07
How the hell do you know what they are fighting for? For all you know they are fighting for Sharia, and the 13th imam.

This is how they defined freedom, so let's not be so quick to back any dog in this fight. Both sides could be shit heads worthy of F18's and Marines at the end of the day.

Libyan culture is primarily tribal and clannish in nature. Kadaffi systematically destroyed the tribal culture and introduced his "little green book" of political and social rantings 40 years ago when he toppled the kingdom. If you have seen, there are many pics of women among the rebels dressed in western attire, they do not practice Sharia law. They do not cover from head to toe but dress conservatively alot like women in Iran and Egypt. Libya much like Egypt are secular societies, Christians, Muslims and Jews live together in relative peace much like other parts of the world.

Whatever they are fighting for, I wish them success but we, as a nation should have no part in it other then possibly arming the people and establishing a "no fly zone" over rebel territories. Let them be the boots on the ground.

variablebinary
03-09-11, 21:22
Libyan culture is primarily tribal and clannish in nature.

Traditionally speaking, Iran is not an Islamic shit hole either, but it is today.

You never know what you are going to get with these people, but the odds of Islamo-kookville are greater than freedom loving republic at the end of the day.

Skyyr
03-09-11, 22:40

Lest you forget, our original government had more in common with an anarchy than it had with any other form of government. Trying to come in and mock, ridicule, and belittle the Lybians for fighting for their freedom because they might turn out to be bad is ridiculous.

No one can foresee the future; all we can ever hope to see is the here and now, which is Gaddafi mowing down protesters with tanks. If you truly believe in liberty, then simply respect their efforts for what they are until they show their intent.

GermanSynergy
03-10-11, 08:53
I'm going to hold off praising anyone until we have a more definitive idea as to what the opposition in Libya is about.

Any ideas/predictions as to what will happen to Gadfly? He appears to be the darling of the American Left, and Hugo Chavaz is a pal as well.

Cincinnatus
03-10-11, 08:55

+1 on that.

rubberneck
03-10-11, 09:09

I'd like to point out that the regime that they are fighting against was one of the most, if not the most, active state sponsors of terrorism against the United States. Maybe they are fighting for the chance to implement Sharia law but there are plenty of countries that have Sharia that aren't nearly as active in supporting terrorism as that shitbag was. I hope his death is as painful and as brutal as it can be. He's earned it.

Cincinnatus
03-10-11, 09:19
I'd like to point out that the regime that they are fighting against was one of the most, if not the most, active state sponsors of terrorism against the United States. Maybe they are fighting for the chance to implement Sharia law but there are plenty of countries that have Sharia that aren't nearly as active in supporting terrorism as that shitbag was. I hope his death is as painful and as brutal as it can be. He's earned it.

I agree that Ghadafi is a dirtbag and needs to go, but we frankly don't know exactly what the rebels do stand for; and as in the French and other revolutions, it is likely that among the rebels are many factions vying for power. According to Secretary Clinton, Iran has been trying to insert itself into the revolutions in Egypt and Libya--I just hope that whichever faction wins out, it is one that is not for Sharia law and not a puppet of Iran, etc. It would be great if they were all legitimately fighting for "freedom," but to believe that is the case without some kind of proof is naive.

None of us really undestands Libyan culture regardles of which National Geographic articles we've read in the past--and any assertion that definitatively defines what they are fighting for is an armchair projection of idealism at best.

rubberneck
03-10-11, 09:33
I agree that Ghadafi is a dirtbag and needs to go, but we frankly don't know exactly what the rebels do stand for; and as in the French and other revolutions, it is likely that among the rebels are many factions vying for power. According to Secretary Clinton, Iran has been trying to insert itself into the revolutions in Egypt and Libya--I just hope that whichever faction wins out, it is one that is not for Sharia law and not a puppet of Iran, etc. It would be great if they were all legitimately fighting for "freedom," but to believe that is the case without some kind of proof is naive.

None of us really undestands Libyan culture regardles of which National Geographic articles we've read in the past--and any assertion that definitatively defines what they are fighting for is an armchair projection of idealism at best.

Islam is not a monolithic religion. Iran is predominately Shia and Libya is mostly Sunni and the two sects have no love for each other. It's hard to see an outcome in Libya where anyone other than Sunni's taking control and then working hand in hand with the Iranians. That's not to say that whatever government takes over will be friendly towards us but IMHO it's highly unlikely that we'll ever see a unified Islamic coalition.

500grains
03-10-11, 18:44
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/500grains/LiveLeak-dot-com-dbcaf993669d-gadaffi.jpg

steve-oh
03-10-11, 19:29

I'm in agreement here. I am curious to know what the rebel's desired endstate is.

chadbag
03-10-11, 21:18

It looks like these guys need their 72 virgins.

SteyrAUG
03-11-11, 21:05
Looks like the Qadaffy Duck regime is coming down hard on these guys today. France has formally recognized the opposition government. Will be interesting to see what happens from here.

skyugo
03-11-11, 23:01
gotta hand it to the guy using his foot as an improvised bipod... pretty clever.

SteyrAUG
03-12-11, 00:16
gotta hand it to the guy using his foot as an improvised bipod... pretty clever.

I think he'd be a lot more effective going over the roof of a vehicle, especially a truck.

LHS
03-12-11, 00:26
I think he'd be a lot more effective going over the roof of a vehicle, especially a truck.

I think he'd be a lot more effective with the truck-mounted HMG behind him.

SteyrAUG
03-12-11, 13:54
I think he'd be a lot more effective with the truck-mounted HMG behind him.

I'm making the assumption that it was not an option for him. But you are of course very correct.

Iraqgunz
03-12-11, 14:20
This is one time when I think we should try and assist. Hell, airdrop my ass there with some weapons and we'll start training these guys and fighting.

Someone finally has the balls to stand up to that douche after all of these years and this is possibly a chance for the U.S to change it's perception in the middle east.

kal
03-12-11, 14:26
This is one time when I think we should try and assist. Hell, airdrop my ass there with some weapons and we'll start training these guys and fighting.

I thought I heard senator McCain talking about doing that early this morning on one of the news networks.

SteyrAUG
03-12-11, 14:35

Someone finally has the balls to stand up to that douche after all of these years and this is possibly a chance for the U.S to change it's perception in the middle east.

If ever there was a time for the UN to form one of their ridiculous "arab coalitions" this is the time. The US can't do it directly or in a few years it will be viewed as another Operation Ajax.

Cagemonkey
03-12-11, 15:00
You could send in some SF A teams and provide some Javelin antitank weapons and Stinger antiaircraft missiles. With the thread of these weapons falling into the hands of Islamist/Al Qaeda, it'll never happen.

steve-oh
03-12-11, 15:13

Got room for one more Airborne Ranger?

The Rebels need training. Watch this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIlI5wMZsjc&feature=player_embedded) They remain static for probably 10 minutes without flank security and get maneuvered on. It looks at the end like a technical just drives straight up and blasts some dude from like 10 feet away with a DShK.

kal
03-12-11, 15:38
Got room for one more Airborne Ranger?

The Rebels need training. Watch this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIlI5wMZsjc&feature=player_embedded) They remain static for probably 10 minutes without flank security and get maneuvered on. It looks at the end like a technical just drives straight up and blasts some dude from like 10 feet away with a DShK.

how the hell does that happen? How do they let a technical just roll up to them like that!? And what the hell was the camera man just doing standing there?:confused:

It doesn't add up.

steve-oh
03-12-11, 17:31
Any number of reasons, but non-uniformed, untrained people fighting each other with no communication seems to be the most likely. Then again, who the hell knows for sure what's happening in that video...

Thomas M-4
03-12-11, 18:28
Any number of reasons, but non-uniformed, untrained people fighting each other with no communication seems to be the most likely. Then again, who the hell knows for sure what's happening in that video...

That is it and most of these people were just civies just 1-2 weeks ago.

Since France has acknowledged the opposition has a government I wonder if the French Foreign Legion will be deployed? They do after all have more experience fighting in North Africa than anybody else.

Redmanfms
03-15-11, 18:47
We should leave them the **** alone.

Littlelebowski
03-15-11, 18:53
Iraqgunz has literally years of experience in Arab countries. You need to dial it back a bit.

You cannot possibly be that gullible and naive. How we are viewed in the Arab/Muslim world is a function of their religion/philosophy/worldview. We could cure every little sick Muslim child, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and house the homeless and they'd still hate us.

We should leave them the **** alone except when they get squirrely and we have to teach them a lesson.

John_Wayne777
03-16-11, 06:57
If ever there was a time for the UN to form one of their ridiculous "arab coalitions" this is the time.

The only Arab "coalitions" that can function revolve around condemning Israel or charging ridiculous prices to the west for oil. Other than that they don't seem to agree on a whole lot.

chadbag
03-16-11, 11:03
Most of Libya is not even Arab.

It is Berber, Arabized Berber, and Turk. Granted the "Arab" ideal is what is accepted as the national ideal.

From Wikipedia:

Native Libyans are primarily Berbers; Arabized Berbers and Turks; ethnic "pure" Arabs, mainly tribal desert "Bedouins"; and Tuareg.[165] Small Hausa, and Tebu tribal groups in southern Libya are nomadic or seminomadic. Among foreign residents, the largest groups are citizens of other African nations, including North Africans (primarily Egyptians), and Sub-Saharan Africans.[166] In 2011, there were also an estimated 60,000 Bangladeshis, 30,000 Chinese and 30,000 Filipinos in Libya.[167] Libya is home to a large illegal population which numbers more than one million, mostly Egyptians and Sub-Saharan Africans.[168] Libya has a small Italian minority. Previously, there was a visible presence of Italian settlers, but many left after independence in 1947 and many more left in 1970 after the accession of Muammar Gaddafi.[169]

chadbag
03-16-11, 11:05
If ever there was a time for the UN to form one of their ridiculous "arab coalitions" this is the time. The US can't do it directly or in a few years it will be viewed as another Operation Ajax.

It seems that the Arab world will come to realize that biting the hand that feeds you, so to speak, in the end is a losing policy.

Hopefully they will see (but probably won't) that the West's reluctance to help out is directly related to the Arab worlds behavior toward the West previously.

Magic_Salad0892
03-16-11, 11:18
With the tactics in that video...

I hope to God the French get deployed.

BrianS
03-16-11, 15:36

At this point I wonder if we haven't waited too long. The most recent reports I have been hearing (most news has moved on to constant coverage of situation in Japan) is that Gaddafi has crushed the rebels in all but one major city with a combination of armor and air power.

The UN is reportedly still debating today whether or not to put in a no fly zone. Meanwhile the resistance is being decimated.

Buckaroo
03-16-11, 16:05
At this point I wonder if we haven't waited too long. The most recent reports I have been hearing (most news has moved on to constant coverage of situation in Japan) is that has crushed the rebels in all but one major city with a combination of armor and air power.

The UN is reportedly still debating today whether or not to put in a no fly zone. Meanwhile the resistance is being decimated.

That is my understanding as well. Day late and a dollar short to help them now. Too bad, it seems when they could have been assisted they were telling everyone to stay out of it and now they are paying the price.

Someone needs to open Gaddafi's mind (with a 50 cal.)

Buckaroo

chadbag
03-16-11, 16:47
Obama should have called Sarkozy, Berlusconi, and Cameron, and told them this was their gig -- their backyard: take care of it. I will support you behind the scenes but for obvious reasons I cannot take the lead on this.

Probably too late now.

Buckaroo
03-17-11, 08:46
Administration cannot make up it's mind! :mad:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/17/libya.civil.war/index.html?hpt=T2

The United States is suggesting that the United Nations should do more than just impose a no-fly zone on Libya as Moammar Gadhafi's forces fight their way east towards the rebel capital of Benghazi.

variablebinary
03-17-11, 09:09
Administration cannot make up it's mind! :mad:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/17/libya.civil.war/index.html?hpt=T2

Obama needs to really think this one through. If we get involved, it could easily open up another front, which we should not want.

At most, we should consider some clandestine assets to bolster rebel fighting capability. However, it might be too late for that. But then again, why would we want to get involved to begin with.

Even a no fly zone, lets consider what happens if they actually shoot down American aircraft. That would put us at war with Libya, when we still have two other muslim shit holes on our plate.

chadbag
03-17-11, 11:08
Obama needs to really think this one through. If we get involved, it could easily open up another front, which we should not want.

At most, we should consider some clandestine assets to bolster rebel fighting capability. However, it might be too late for that. But then again, why would we want to get involved to begin with.

Even a no fly zone, lets consider what happens if they actually shoot down American aircraft. That would put us at war with Libya, when we still have two other muslim shit holes on our plate.

More Amateur in chief. Diddle dawdle around, and then be "forced" to take drastic action when it is too late.

He should have told Sarkozy and Cameron and Berlusconi to take care of it -- their backyard. Support behind the scenes.

Idiot. (BHO)

montanadave
03-19-11, 13:14
So it's 8:00 Saturday night in Tripoli, the good Colonel seems to have told most everybody to go **** themselves, and French warplanes have reportedly engaged with Libyan ground forces.

Any bets on how many cruise missiles or Predator drones will be skimmin' across the Mediterranean before sunrise?

SteyrAUG
03-19-11, 14:00

Last time I checked Saudi, Iran and Syria all had air forces. They don't need ours for a no fly zone.

kal
03-19-11, 14:08
I'm confused about this whole situation.

Why is the UN preventing Gaddafi from attacking and getting back control of rebel held cities in Libya?

I don't understand why the French and other nations are attacking the government forces of Libya.

I've also heard of NATO forces putting up a protective ring around rebel held areas to protect them from Gaddafi's forces. How the hell is this legal? Armed rebels are not civilians.

Cagemonkey
03-19-11, 14:10
Last time I checked Saudi, Iran and Syria all had air forces. They don't need ours for a no fly zone.I agree I'd like to see the EU/NATO and the Arab league take the initiative, but we don't need any more Iranian and Syrian influence in the area.

Belmont31R
03-19-11, 14:38
Remember this douche was behind Pan Am 103. I think thats enough reason for us to get some, too, and not sit back on the sidelines.

montanadave
03-19-11, 14:38
Last time I checked Saudi, Iran and Syria all had air forces. They don't need ours for a no fly zone.

Apparently Arab etiquette only allows for shooting other Arabs within your own borders, unless, of course, it's Iraqis shooting Iranians, or Iranians shooting Iraqis, or Iraqis shooting Kuwaitis or... well, suffice it to say that Arab "rules of engagement" are culturally complex and difficult for Westerners to grasp. :rolleyes:

Belmont31R
03-19-11, 15:44
US has launched 110 Tomahawks at Libya....:D

montanadave
03-19-11, 18:23
The frustration of the the various networks with reporters in Tripoli, salivating for some footage replicating the "Shock and Awe" of the Baghdad bombings, is palpable.

SteyrAUG
03-19-11, 22:26
Remember this douche was behind Pan Am 103. I think thats enough reason for us to get some, too, and not sit back on the sidelines.

I'm all for kicking his terrorist sponsoring ass.

I just don't want to listen to decades of libtards talking about how this is just another Operation Ajax.

armakraut
03-19-11, 22:30
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the liberals.

Belmont31R
03-19-11, 22:57
I'm all for kicking his terrorist sponsoring ass.

I just don't want to listen to decades of libtards talking about how this is just another Operation Ajax.

No the halfrican is in charge now so its all good. Remember when Clinton was in charge you didn't hear shit about Kosovo or the NFZ in Iraq. A republican gets in there, and suddenly we're air raiding villages in Afghanistan and the Iraq war is an illegal war for oil.

**** them...let them bitch. The more they bitch ever so hypocritically the more people catch onto their little game they've been doing since Vietnam.

Belmont31R
03-19-11, 23:01
Oh I forgot about all the liberal celebrities like clooney bitching about our lack of action in Darfur. Its cool when its a liberal celebrity sponsored action but removing Saddam is an illegal war....a guy who killed at least a couple hundred thousand and used WMD'd on his own people.

Caeser25
03-20-11, 11:45
I see the no fly zone snowballing and think someone will have to put boots on the ground. Just because there's a no fly zone doesn't mean Qaddafi (spelling? I honestly don't care enough to look it up) can't pound rebel forces with regular firepower from tanks, artillery, mortars, apc's etc.

Littlelebowski
03-20-11, 11:48
I see the no fly zone snowballing and think someone will have to put boots on the ground. Just because there's a no fly zone doesn't mean Qaddafi (spelling? I honestly don't care enough to look it up) can't pound rebel forces with regular firepower from tanks, artillery, mortars, apc's etc.

Dude, read the news. The French fighters are actively hunting out vehicles. The soldiers are retreating and abandoning their vehicles because of this reason.

Caeser25
03-20-11, 12:01
Dude, read the news. The French fighters are actively hunting out vehicles. The soldiers are retreating and abandoning their vehicles because of this reason.

:o I hadn't turned the tube on yet and was enjoying some peace and quiet.

chadbag
03-20-11, 15:39
It's unfortunate that the US is involved in this. It should have been a European action with quiet support behind the scenes from the US.

woodandsteel
03-20-11, 16:03
Interestingly enough, the Arab League has some concerns over the way the No-Fly Zone is being managed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/arab-league-condemns-broad-bombing-campaign-in-libya/2011/03/20/AB1pSg1_story.html?hpid=z3

CAIRO—The Arab League secretary general, Amr Moussa, deplored the broad scope of the U.S.-European bombing campaign in Libya on Sunday and said he would call a new league meeting to reconsider Arab approval of the Western military intervention.

SteyrAUG
03-20-11, 16:51
Interestingly enough, the Arab League has some concerns over the way the No-Fly Zone is being managed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/arab-league-condemns-broad-bombing-campaign-in-libya/2011/03/20/AB1pSg1_story.html?hpid=z3

Of course, that is SOP for them.

They offer their support or ask for assistance for a given action, let US do it for them and then criticize us for the way we did it.

Belmont31R
03-20-11, 16:56
Exactly why its not a good idea to run around getting "approval" from other governing bodies before we take action. By de facto of seeking approval we are saying we are subservient to those bodies.

I heard some dem rep from WA on earlier talking about how refreshing it was Obama sought approval before taking action unlike Bush who took us into Iraq all on his own....:rolleyes:

ForTehNguyen
03-20-11, 16:59
LOL even to the day

MARCH 19, 2011
OBAMA: 'Today we are part of a broad coalition. We are answering the calls of a threatened people. And we are acting in the interests of the United States and the world'...

MARCH 19, 2003
BUSH: 'At this hour American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger...

more BS intervening in matters that dont concern us

John_Wayne777
03-21-11, 06:44

They're nothing if not predictable.

montanadave
03-21-11, 08:55
For what it's worth, Amr Moussa, the head of the Arab League, walked back his earlier comments that suggested the League was unsupportive of the air strikes in Libya, stating, "The Arab League position on Libya was decisive and from first moment we froze membership of Libya ... Then we asked the United Nations to implement a no-fly zone and we respect the U.N. resolution and there is no conflict with it."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/21/libya-arabs-moussa-idUSWEA974220110321

Not so supportive is Russia's Vladimir Putin, who likened the international intervention in Libya to "a mediaeval call for crusades," and the Chinese, who described U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973 as a violation of international rules and courting new turmoil in the Middle East. Both Russia and China, permanent members of the Security Council, abstained during the vote authorizing the Libyan "no-fly" zone (as did Brazil, India, and Germany).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/21/us-libya-idUSTRE7270JP20110321

Cagemonkey
03-21-11, 15:49
Gaddafi's kid just got wacked. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368410/Libya-crisis-Gaddafi-uses-civilians-human-shields-prevent-military . The method of assassination makes me a little nervous. Suicide attacks are pretty much the hallmark of the Islamist movement.

montanadave
03-21-11, 16:28
Gaddafi's kid just got wacked. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368410/Libya-crisis-Gaddafi-uses-civilians-human-shields-prevent-military . The method of assassination makes me a little nervous. Suicide attacks are pretty much the hallmark of the Islamist movement.

The Daily Mail sets one shelve above The National Enquirer in the checkout aisle. I'd hold off for some confirmation from more credible sources.

Cagemonkey
03-21-11, 19:28
The Daily Mail sets one shelve above The National Enquirer in the checkout aisle. I'd hold off for some confirmation from more credible sources.Good to know. I just found this on the Drudge Report.