PDA

View Full Version : advice for 2nd build

pingdork
03-08-11, 21:17
New here. New ar owner too.
Recently bought two lowers. Just finished first build with a 14.5 mid from bcm, ctr stock, standard handguards, lmt handle rear sight, DD lpk. Will be used for plinking with the kids and fun in the desert.

I am undecided on what upper for #2.
So far my choices are...

20" in 6.8spc scoped. for if I ever take my cousin up on his invites to deer hunt near his place in Flagstaff. Kinda hard to find. Any recommendations which mfg might make this? He also has spare bolt actions up the yingyang that I could use. Ammo's expensive, so this probably'll be a safe denizen.

20" A2 replica to take me back to '91-'96 memory lane. Seems redundant to the one I made already, save the longer barrel.

24" SS heavy varmint upper. Flat top with Freefloat. Good scope. For Target practice and possibly hunting as well. I've read these barrels don't last as long which is a big turn-off. I like the idea of the tack driver, but won't be happy when its time to change barrels.

16" lmt mrp gas piston. Pricey and have least need/use for. Oddly though, its the choice I'm leaning most to. I'm in L.A. and remember the riots. Also would like to be prepared for movie-like apocalyptic scenarios (red dawn, battle LA, 2012, zombieland, take your pick) in which I might not always have time to properly clean and lube.

I've been lurking here for a month or so and have learned quite a bit, thanks. Looking for opinions to sway me on which direction for my second AR. Been a lot of fun and I'm still decent shot despite being 15 years removed from my time spent in the army. Turning out to be a great activity for me and my boys. They get to pretend to kill zombies like in cod black-ops. I get to teach them how to effectively and safely handle a weapon. And wifey and I get the added benefit of having homework and chores done complaint-free, and doing everything else we tell them as a necessary prerequisite for the next trip to the range.

Thanks again in advance for any and all advice.