PDA

View Full Version : welding keys, instead of staking?

leroyswift
03-08-11, 23:52
I am proficient with a TIG welder and was curious... Could one secure keys with a precise weld? A weld is far more strong than staking and can be undone easy with grinding and buffing. Input?

RyanB
03-08-11, 23:53
It would work but I don't see how it would be so easy to undo.

leroyswift
03-09-11, 00:02
Well i reckon thats right...but would ever honestly need to undo it if its done right the first time?

IShootBlanks
03-09-11, 00:10
solving a problem that isnt there.. staking correctly works for millions of people. nothing to be gained by welding

Eric D.
03-09-11, 00:11
I know TIG welding uses less heat than other processes but I think it would still get the key hotter than normal operation would. I would be concerned about affecting the heat-treating of the key.

Spectro
03-09-11, 00:33
I know TIG welding uses less heat than other processes but I think it would still get the key hotter than normal operation would. I would be concerned about affecting the heat-treating of the key.

Eric D is correct. Welding a hardened steel can reduce hardness in the heat affected zone. You don't even have to apply filler metal for this softening to occur. Unless you intend to re-harden the steel, I would just stake them.

az doug
03-09-11, 00:50
And yes, a key could get damaged...and need to be replaced.

leroyswift
03-09-11, 07:24
Ah well it sounded good. Anyone on here that stakes them for a fee?

40Arpent
03-09-11, 07:31

You are obviously a DIYer, why not just buy a MOACKS? :)

rubberneck
03-09-11, 07:53
You are obviously a DIYer, why not just buy a MOACKS? :)

MOACKS is really cool and a must have if you are going to be doing a shit load of staking but a spring loaded punch works just as well and can be had much cheaper.

jklaughrey
03-09-11, 08:22
I have one, send me your BCG and I will do it.

Eric
03-09-11, 09:19
For the cost of return shipping. (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1555-Bolt-Carrier-Gas-Key-Staking-Offer)